Connect with us

National News

Six year-old Boko Haram victim travels to Dubai for surgery

Published

on

A six-year-old identified as Ali Ahmadu who was a victim of Boko Haram’s violence in Chibok, Borno State,who met with the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, for assistance, has been flown to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, for a corrective surgery.

Ahmadu, whose donations for surgery were collated by two organisations, the Global Initiative for Peace, Love and Care and the Dickens Sanomi Foundation, left on Sunday for the medical treatment.

The teenager was said to have beeen injured by a motorcycle rode by the Boko Haram terrorists, who raided the Chibok community at night about three years ago.

 It was said that although his spinal cord was not badly affected, he has not been able to walk.

The boy was brought by the organisations to Saraki on July 27, and the Senate President assured them that he would mobilise friends and senators to assist the six-year-old.

Speaking to journalists at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, before boarding an aircraft with the victim, the GIPLC Coordinator, Nuhu Kwajafa, said the foundation had raised $65,000 for the trip.

He noted that the amount would cover transportation, feeding and medical bills.

He said, “Ali needs a corrective surgery to enable him to walk again after being run over by a motorcycle belonging to the Boko Haram terrorists during a night raid in Chibok.

“After the incident, he was bleeding and abandoned under a mango tree for three days. Nobody went for him because the Boko Haram fighters were still in the town. After they left, he was taken inside a house without any medical care for three years.

“Earlier in the year, we heard of his case and went to Chibok. We brought him to Abuja three months ago and started rallying people and organisations to sponsor his medication abroad.”

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

We Deliberately Shut Down Refineries – NNPC GMD

Published

on

We Deliberately Shut Down Refineries – NNPC GMD

NNPC boss, Mele Kyari

The Group Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mele Kyari, has expressed that the corporation deliberately shut down the nation’s refineries because they became unsustainable.

The GMD disclosed this when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum Upstream in Abuja.

He pointed out that the NNPC was unable to supply crude oil to the refineries, adding that the Excravos pipeline is the only one the NNPC managed to sustain through the contracting process.

He went on to express that it is practically impossible to run pipelines at their optimum capacity.

Also ReadBREAKING: NNPC Raises Petrol Depot Price, Marketers To Sell At N168-N170/Litre

“For instance, to run Kaduna and Warri refinery, you need to deliver 170,000 barrel of oil per day so that both will operate at 70 percent capacity,” he said.

Kyari said that at the moment, it only had over 5,000 kilometers of pipelines with 13 fuel depots, which according to him must be protected to forestall the activities of vandals.

“And I can tell you today that except the Atlas cove to Ibadan line and also the Portharcourt to Aba line, none of these pipelines is serviced.

“We cannot flow product into these lines, the cheap one is to say they are aged but the real reason is that the level of activities of vandals on these lines is gross, monumental, and profound.

“At every point within a month we fix 80 vandal points, the option is to shut them down and the result of having one depot is what we have seen in Lagos,” he said.

Continue Reading

National News

Lai Mohammed Denies Announcing N5m Hate Speech Fine

Published

on

Minister Of Information, Lai Mohammed, Denies Announcing N5m Hate Speech Fine

Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has denied that he announced the increment of the speech fine from N500,000 to N5 million.

He made this known in a counter-affidavit in response to a suit filed against him at a federal high court in Lagos.

Recall that some months ago, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) announced an amendment to the broadcasting code, where the increment of the new fine was announced.

Recall that weeks after the announcement, NBC fined Nigeria Info FM for alleged hate speech after interviewing Obadiah Mailafia, former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), who alleged that a northern governor is one of the leaders of Boko Haram.

However, Human Rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong proceeded to the court to challenge the fine.

Also Read: BREAKING: NBC Fines Radio Station N5m For Hate Speech

However, in the affidavit deposed by Sunday Ojobo, an official of the Information ministry, the minister said he never announced the increase of the hate speech fine.

“Paragraph 19 is denied. The 2nd defendant (Mohammed) did not announce an increment in any fine for hate speech from N500,000 to N5,000,000 or any other because there is a governmental body or institution mandated to regulate and enforce the Nigerian Broadcasting Code,” an affidavit deposed to by a Litigation Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, Sunday Ojobo, reads.

The minister further stated that the constitution allows for human rights to be suspended for the sake of national interest.

He wrote, “The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria provides for derogation from fundamental rights in the interest of public safety, public order and for the purpose of protecting the rights and freedom of other persons.”

Continue Reading

National News

‘Nothing To Forgive:’ Soyinka Speaks About Relationship With Gowon

Published

on

‘Nothing To Forgive:’ Soyinka Speaks About Relationship With Gowon

Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka has commented on his relationship with former Head of State Yakubu Gowon.

Soyinka was in August 1967 arrested and placed in solitary confinement just as the Civil War started under Gowon’s regime.

Speaking about their relationship, Soyinka explained that there is no bad blood between him and Gowon and he does not think there is anything to forgive him (Gowon) about.

“We communicate whenever possible, he came for my birthday in Abeokuta here. And when he started to apologise – he made a public apology – I said, ‘There is no need for it,’” the playwright who was detained by the Gowon government for two years, in the wake of the Nigerian Civil War, told Channels Television.

Also Read: Gowon: AfDB President Adesina Warns Against Misinformation

Soyinka also revealed that General Gowon had on various occasions made efforts to meet him so they could talk.

He added; “He even asked the former ambassador to locate me so that anytime he was passing – I was in Europe and America then – so we could meet and talk. And I said, ‘any time’ but there is really nothing much to talk about.”

The playwright further disclosed that they later met at a conference and they talked about the Nigerian Civil War.

He said; “We hit it on very well and we joked. The ice was broken and since then, we have been friends.”

“The war, for me, is over.’ The ones I find difficult to forgive are those who lied against me. I don’t like liars; I just cannot stand liars.”

The former Head of State has been in the news in recent days over allegations that he embezzled half of the money in the Central Bank of Nigeria during his regime.

 

Continue Reading

Trending