Connect with us

National News

Abike Dabiri condemns the killing of Nigerians living in South Africa

Published

on

The extra judicial killings of Nigerians living in South Africa has been condemned by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa.

This was released in a statement by her Special Assistant on Media, Abdurrahman Balogun, on Saturday in Abuja.

She said the killing Kingsley Ikeri, another member of the Nigerian Union in that country at Vryheid town in Kwazulu Natal Province of South Africa on Aug. 30 was one death too many.

Ikeri, 27, was a businessman and native of Mbaitolu in Imo State and the second Imo indigene to be so killed in the last two weeks.

An extra judicial killing, also known as extrajudicial execution, is the killing of a person by governmental authorities without the sanction of any judicial proceeding or legal process.

She said in spite of all diplomatic talks between Nigeria and South Africa to put an early warning signal in place, “it doesn’t seem to be working”.

Dabiri-Erewa described the latest extra judicial killing of another Nigerian in South Africa as ”worrying and condemnable”.

She said that the latest gruesome killing of Ikeri by the Police in South Africa, is ”unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria”.

Dabiri-Erewa reiterated President Muhammadu Buhari’s calls to Nigerians to avoid crimes like drug peddling which attracts stiff penalties, sometimes death,

She noted that the latest killing had increased the number of Nigerians killed in South Africa through extrajudicial means in the last one year.

“The barbaric behaviour of the perpetrators is not only unacceptable, but also calls for urgent attention by diplomatic authorities in Nigeria and South Africa”, she said.

Dabiri-Erewa urged the South African government to ensure that justice prevails by carrying out investigation and bring the culprit to book.

She reiterated her calls to Nigerians living abroad to always respect the laws of their host countries and be good ambassadors of Nigeria.

“My heart goes out to the families of the deceased and pray God to grant the departed soul eternal rest”, the SSA prayed.

Bartholomew Eziagulu, Chairman of the Nigerian Union in the province, told the Newsmen on Friday that Mr Ikeri was allegedly tortured to death by the police.

He said the union’s investigations revealed that the police arrested the deceased and a friend on suspicion that they were carrying hard drugs.

He said while interrogating him, the police used plastic to cover his face to extort information from him.

“In the process, they suffocated the deceased. When the police took him to the hospital, he was confirmed dead,” he said.

Adetola Olubajo, the Secretary General of the union, said the national secretariat had been informed about the death of the Nigerian.

He said the body had informed appropriate Nigerian authorities and the police in South Africa.

Report has it that a senior Diplomat from the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg had visited Vryheid on a fact-finding mission.

Dabiri-Erewa had in February during a meeting in Abuja with South Africa High Commissioner, Mr Lulu Louis Mnguni said a total of 116 Nigerians have been killed in South Africa through extrajudicial means in the last two years.

Seven in 10 of the killings were carried out by the South African Police.

National News

BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG

Published

on

BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG

 

BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s nominee for the office of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation, has emerged winner of the highly competitive race.

 Information Nigeria gathered that Okonjo-Iweala was chosen as the final candidate for the much-coveted role. She polled 104 votes from 164 member countries to defeat how South Korea’s trade minister at the final stage of the race.

She has broken many records, including becoming the first African to occupy win that office at the WTO.

The official announcement is expected to be made by the WTO at 3pm Nigerian time.

Details later…

Continue Reading

National News

Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti

Published

on

Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti

Governor Fayemi

Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi has instructed all workers in the state civil service that have been away from their duty post due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions to resume back to work.

The Governor issued the directive in a statement on Wednesday by the Head of the State Civil Service, Mrs. Peju Babafemi.

Also Read: Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode

Workers on grade levels 02–07 in the state workforce have been away from office since March 23, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, they have now been directed to resume duties from Monday, November 2, 2020, and ensure full compliance with COVID-19 protocols and safety measures.

Continue Reading

National News

Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode

Published

on

Lekki Shooting: 'Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military' - Fani-Kayode
'Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military' - Fani-Kayode

Femi Fani Kayode

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has reacted to the Nigerian Army’s statement that the Lagos State Government invited the army to enforce a curfew on Tuesday the 20th of October in the State.

Recall that on Tuesday, the 81 Divison of the Nigerian army stated that it was invited to enforce the curfew in Lagos by the state government, although it denied shooting at #EndSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos.

Also Read: Hoodlums steal Obafemi Awolowo’s glasses from his statue in Lagos (Photos)

This came a day after Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu stated that the army shot at protesters in Lagos.

Reacting to the statement from the army, the former minister wrote:

“The @HQNigerianArmy claim it was the LASG that asked for soldiers to be deployed at Lekki. The implications of this for
@jidesanwoolu are grave. He has been thrown under the bus by the military.”

Continue Reading

Trending