THERE was speculation Tuesday night that the Presidential jet in London departed the country perhaps to Nigeria which caused tension within the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
But the media team of President Muhammadu Buhari denied knowledge of such thing, saying that it should be taken as rumour as there was no information available to them suggesting that the President had left London where he is on medical vacation.
Recall that President Buhari had left the country on 7th May to see his doctors in London, the United Kingdom and had handed the button of leadership to the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo to act on his behalf
However, there have been insinuations in some quarters that the President’s health had recorded a remarkable improvement that would warrant him to return to the country soon.
The speculation about the President’s return was rife Tuesday when some sources in London had claimed that Mr. President’s aircraft had taken off from there to Abuja even as it was reported that some staff at the Presidential Villa had been on standby since Monday.
But when Vanguard sought the confirmation of the alleged departure of the Presidential aircraft from London from the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, he said he was not aware of such development.
Also in denial of any knowledge of the alleged departure of the Presidential aircraft from London was the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adeshina who said he was not informed of anything like that.
According to him, “BBC also called me and said the president’s aircraft had taken off, I should confirm it. I said the tradition is that if the president is coming, we will be asked to issue a statement but there has been no such instruction.”
As at the time of filing this report late Tuesday night, there was no confirmation to the effect that the presidential aircraft had left London and there was no movement within the Presidential Villa to support the rumour.
#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos
The Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the closure of public and private schools indefinitely in the state.
The closure of schools in Lagos was announced in a press statement on Monday by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi.
The statement which was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’, quoted Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, the Commissioner for Education, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.”
This is coming at a time #EndSARS protests against police brutality and bad governance by Nigerian youths grounded academic activities in some schools in the state on Monday.
“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”
NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest
The National Examination Council, NECO, has announced the rescheduled of one of the practical examinations supposed to hold in October till the next month.
This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday, October 18, by the Head, Information and Public Relations Division for the Nigerian exam body, Mr. Azeez Sani.
He announced that the Paper I Computer Studies Practicals examination which was supposed to be taken on Monday, October 19 is now delayed till November 16, 2020.
Sani revealed that the postponement is a result of the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country, particularly the blockage of movement of transport at the entrance gate into Benin City, the Edo state capital.
He noted further that the truck conveying NECO examination materials had left its take-off point two days earlier to deliver to some states but has been held up in the ‘blockage.
FG, ASUU Meeting Over IPPIS, UTAS End In Deadlock
The meeting between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on Thursday ended in a deadlock.
Although some agreements were reached at the meeting, the meeting is set to reconvene on Wednesday, October 21, 2020, by 3.00 pm after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting for ASUU to report back on the decision of its NEC.
In a bid to end the strike, the federal government agreed to release N30billion for payment of arrears of earned academic allowance to the university lecturers.
The communiqué issued at the end of the meeting revealed that the release of N20 billion funds for revitalisation of public universities will be payable by the end of January 2021.
On the issue of Earned Academic Allowances(EAA), which had accumulated to N40 billion since November 2019, the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) made a commitment to release N30 billion on or before November 6, 2020.
He said the remaining N10 billion would be spread equally over the two tranches to be paid in May 2021 and February 2022, respectively.
The communiqué also revealed that ASUU agreed to take the offer to its members for consideration and revert by Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
The issue of the implementation of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) almost stalled the meeting as the federal government asked that IPPIS be allowed to operate in the interim until the test run on UTAS is concluded.
But ASUU insisted on payment of outstanding salaries on the old GIFMIS platform before full implementation of UTAS.
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Omotola Apologizes For Her Insensitive Tweet About The Lekki Tollgate Shooting
- National News8 hours ago
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Ronke Oshodi Oke Cries Uncontrollably As She Regrets Campaigning For Buhari
- News Feed12 hours ago
Users can now mute WhatsApp chats forever
- National News9 hours ago
End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
- National News10 hours ago
Ben Ayade Declares 24-Hour Curfew In Cross River
- News Feed10 hours ago
Buhari has ordered probe into Lekki shootings: Minister
- News Feed12 hours ago
Whoever carted away the staff of the Oba and his shoe should please return it — Shedu Sani