Connect with us

National News

Presidency set withdraw nomination of newly appointed nominees

Published

on

The Presidency led by acting president, Yemi Osinbajo has resolved to withdraw the nominations of Maimuna Aliyu and Sa’ad Alanmu, who were named to the board of the anti-graft agency, ICPC, aftermedia exposure of the fact they are being investigated for corruption.

This was disclosed to PREMIUM TIMES, Saturday evening, by an authoritative presidency official, who volunteered to speak without being named.

“The two ICPC nominated commissioners being reported to be under investigation for corruption will be stepping down and won’t be members of the commission,” said the source.

Mr. Alanamu and Ms. Aliyu were two of the 14 persons nominated on Tuesday to the board of the ICPC, Nigeria’s second major anti-graft agency.

But the International Centre for Investigative Reporting, ICIR, on Friday reported that the two nominees are separately under investigations, by the police, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the ICPC, for alleged corrupt practices.

While Mr. Alanamu is being investigated on corruption charges allegedly committed while he headed several institutions in Kwara State, Ms. Aliyu has a longstanding case of alleged abuse of office, misappropriation and diversion of public funds against her.

The ICIR reported that charges were already being prepared against Ms. Aliyu by the ICPC in preparation to taking her to court when her name was announced as a member of the new board of the commission.

Amid public worries about how the Mr. Alanamu and Ms. Aliyu scaled security screening to serve on the board on an anti-graft agency, despite the allegations of corruption they face, the spokesperson to Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, Laolu Akande, had earlier on Saturday told PREMIUM TIMES the presidency would ensure “prompt” and “thorough” investigation into the matter.

Later on Saturday, the ICIR reported, quoting government source, the nominees were named without any security clearance. They were reported to have picked from names already piled up for considerations for appointments to public offices.

“If it is true they are under investigation, especially by the ICPC itself, definitely it will be improper for them to be on the board,” the law professor said.

Source: ( Premium Times )

National News

We Deliberately Shut Down Refineries – NNPC GMD

Published

on

We Deliberately Shut Down Refineries – NNPC GMD

NNPC boss, Mele Kyari

The Group Managing Director of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mele Kyari, has expressed that the corporation deliberately shut down the nation’s refineries because they became unsustainable.

The GMD disclosed this when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum Upstream in Abuja.

He pointed out that the NNPC was unable to supply crude oil to the refineries, adding that the Excravos pipeline is the only one the NNPC managed to sustain through the contracting process.

He went on to express that it is practically impossible to run pipelines at their optimum capacity.

Also ReadBREAKING: NNPC Raises Petrol Depot Price, Marketers To Sell At N168-N170/Litre

“For instance, to run Kaduna and Warri refinery, you need to deliver 170,000 barrel of oil per day so that both will operate at 70 percent capacity,” he said.

Kyari said that at the moment, it only had over 5,000 kilometers of pipelines with 13 fuel depots, which according to him must be protected to forestall the activities of vandals.

“And I can tell you today that except the Atlas cove to Ibadan line and also the Portharcourt to Aba line, none of these pipelines is serviced.

“We cannot flow product into these lines, the cheap one is to say they are aged but the real reason is that the level of activities of vandals on these lines is gross, monumental, and profound.

“At every point within a month we fix 80 vandal points, the option is to shut them down and the result of having one depot is what we have seen in Lagos,” he said.

Continue Reading

National News

Lai Mohammed Denies Announcing N5m Hate Speech Fine

Published

on

Minister Of Information, Lai Mohammed, Denies Announcing N5m Hate Speech Fine

Lai Mohammed

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has denied that he announced the increment of the speech fine from N500,000 to N5 million.

He made this known in a counter-affidavit in response to a suit filed against him at a federal high court in Lagos.

Recall that some months ago, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) announced an amendment to the broadcasting code, where the increment of the new fine was announced.

Recall that weeks after the announcement, NBC fined Nigeria Info FM for alleged hate speech after interviewing Obadiah Mailafia, former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), who alleged that a northern governor is one of the leaders of Boko Haram.

However, Human Rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong proceeded to the court to challenge the fine.

Also Read: BREAKING: NBC Fines Radio Station N5m For Hate Speech

However, in the affidavit deposed by Sunday Ojobo, an official of the Information ministry, the minister said he never announced the increase of the hate speech fine.

“Paragraph 19 is denied. The 2nd defendant (Mohammed) did not announce an increment in any fine for hate speech from N500,000 to N5,000,000 or any other because there is a governmental body or institution mandated to regulate and enforce the Nigerian Broadcasting Code,” an affidavit deposed to by a Litigation Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, Sunday Ojobo, reads.

The minister further stated that the constitution allows for human rights to be suspended for the sake of national interest.

He wrote, “The constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria provides for derogation from fundamental rights in the interest of public safety, public order and for the purpose of protecting the rights and freedom of other persons.”

Continue Reading

National News

‘Nothing To Forgive:’ Soyinka Speaks About Relationship With Gowon

Published

on

‘Nothing To Forgive:’ Soyinka Speaks About Relationship With Gowon

Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka

Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka has commented on his relationship with former Head of State Yakubu Gowon.

Soyinka was in August 1967 arrested and placed in solitary confinement just as the Civil War started under Gowon’s regime.

Speaking about their relationship, Soyinka explained that there is no bad blood between him and Gowon and he does not think there is anything to forgive him (Gowon) about.

“We communicate whenever possible, he came for my birthday in Abeokuta here. And when he started to apologise – he made a public apology – I said, ‘There is no need for it,’” the playwright who was detained by the Gowon government for two years, in the wake of the Nigerian Civil War, told Channels Television.

Also Read: Gowon: AfDB President Adesina Warns Against Misinformation

Soyinka also revealed that General Gowon had on various occasions made efforts to meet him so they could talk.

He added; “He even asked the former ambassador to locate me so that anytime he was passing – I was in Europe and America then – so we could meet and talk. And I said, ‘any time’ but there is really nothing much to talk about.”

The playwright further disclosed that they later met at a conference and they talked about the Nigerian Civil War.

He said; “We hit it on very well and we joked. The ice was broken and since then, we have been friends.”

“The war, for me, is over.’ The ones I find difficult to forgive are those who lied against me. I don’t like liars; I just cannot stand liars.”

The former Head of State has been in the news in recent days over allegations that he embezzled half of the money in the Central Bank of Nigeria during his regime.

 

Continue Reading

Trending