Former President Olusegun Obasanjo frowned against the suggestion that age limit should not be a barrier for anyone who is intredto lead the country, as long as the person has been chosen by the citizens.
He argued that it was not right to stipulate minimum age for a presidential candidate without also specifying the maximum age beyond which one would no longer be able to contest.
According to him, capability and competence rather than age should be qualifications for leadership, recalling that Gen. Yakubu Gowon became military Head of State at the age of 33.
Obasanjo said this while commenting on the proposition by the Senate to reduce the age of presidential candidates from 40 to 35.
The former President featured on Sunday as the guest speaker at an exposition series tagged, “God in my life,” organised by the Touchbearer Society of the Archbishop Vining Memorial Church Cathedral, Ikeja, Lagos.
“Quite frankly, if we put minimum age, why are we not putting maximum age? If they put minimum age and then say that even if you are 90, you can be President, because there is no maximum age limit to being President. To me, there should be no age limit. Gen. Gowon became the Head of State at the age of 33, I became the Head of State at 39…I believe there should be no age limit; let the people decide,” Obasanjo said.
Taking the audience through his experiences in the military and politics, Obasanjo said he was of the firm belief that the military should not be involved in politics.
He said at best, the military could provide security during elections but “military should not be directly involved in any election.”
He attributed his achievements to God’s grace, saying that God had been partial to him.
Commenting on Obasanjo’s exposition, a former Commonwealth Secretary General, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, said the fact that Obasanjo escaped being killed by the late Gen. Sani Abacha, was a testimony of God’s grace in his life.
Anyaoku said, “There have not been many people who were saved from the jaws of death as our distinguished speaker (Obasanjo). And as he rightly acknowledged, he was saved by the grace of God.
“I happened to be in a position, where I was one of those very concerned at the time about his fate. I believe, your Excellency, that the first sentence that (the late Gen. Sani) Abacha’s so-called military tribunal passed on you was death. And Abacha commuted it only after he was visited by two heads of state that I had joined in appealing to, to come and see Abacha. They were the President of Zimbabwe and the President of Uganda.
“Before then, I had persuaded Mr. Nelson Mandela to send his Deputy President, Thabo Mbeki. Thabo Mbeki came and spent about three hours with Abacha, returned home and Nelson Mandela called me to say that the mission had not succeeded. But it was not until these two presidents came and spent three hours and 15 minutes with Abacha, and when they left Nigeria and returned to their countries, one of them then phoned me to say that all that Abacha showed them was a video, alleging that our very distinguished speaker was part of a phantom coup. But these presidents said to me that there was no evidence.
“I must say my last telephone conversation with Gen. Abacha was the day he detained you (Obasanjo). I called him to say that that act in itself was the greatest disservice to our country. And Gen. Abacha said to me, ‘Your Excellency, but you know I love this country and I am prepared to die for this country.’ And I said, rather jokingly, to him, ‘Your Excellency, you know that I am older than you, I have loved the country longer than you have.’ He then said, ‘We’ll, if I can’t convince you, there’s no point anymore in this telephone conversation.’ And then he dropped the telephone. That was my last conversation with Gen. Abacha. But I can tell you that the release of our honourable speaker of today gave the whole world immense pleasure. Because at one time, no less than 60 heads of state including a former American President wrote a letter to Gen. Abacha, calling for his release.”
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
WTO: Trump Wrong For Rejecting Okonjo-Iweala – Fani-Kayode
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has condemned the move by the United States President, Donald Trump to block the appointment of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the Director-General of World Trade Organisation (WTO).
Recall that Okonjo-Iweala on Wednesday won the popular vote by a wide margin, with the expectation of an announcement after a World Trade Organization meeting in Geneva.
She was reported to have won the support of 104 of all 164 member countries of the WTO, many of which were from Africa and Europe.
However, the US reportedly expressed its disappointment over the appointment of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala despite her widely gained support.
Reacting in a post on his Twitter page, Fani-Kayode warned that Trump’s opposition to Okonjo-Iweala would upset millions of his supporters in Nigeria and Africa.
..This extraordinary lady is by far the best candidate,her integrity is unimpeachable & her ability is unquestionable. Opposing her has upset millions of Trump-lovers in Nigeria & Africa &hundreds of thousands of Nigerian/Americans in the U.S. itself.
I hope he reconsiders.
— Femi Fani-Kayode (@realFFK) October 29, 2020
Nigeria’s Economy Too Fragile For Fresh Lockdown —Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has warned that Nigeria’s economy is too fragile for fresh coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.
The president stated this in a post on his Twitter handle @MBuhari on Thursday.
Buhari stated that compliance with COVID-19 protocols by all Nigerians is crucial to avert a second wave of the pandemic in the country.
This is coming following the recent increase in Coronavirus cases in many countries around the world.
“Looking at the trends in other countries, we must do all we can to avert a second wave of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
“We must make sure that our cases, which have gone down, do not rise again. Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown.”
Looking at the trends in the other countries, we must do all we can to avert a second wave of Covid-19 in Nigeria. We must make sure that our cases, which have gone down, do not rise again. Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) October 29, 2020
Femi Adesina: #EndSARS Protests Fuelled Looting Of Warehouses
Femi Adesina, special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on media and publicity has alleged that some Nigerians involved in recent cases of looting experienced in some cities across the country didn’t do it because they were angry or hungry.
He alleged that they were simply taking advantage of the collapse of law and order caused by the #EndSARS protests.
He stated this on Thursday, 29th October when he appeared on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme.
He declared that poverty has nothing to do with the invasion of COVID-19 palliatives warehouses.
He said: “Criminality is criminality. Would it justify armed robbery because the man was poor? Would you justify armed robbery because the man didn’t have money?
“Just as you cannot justify armed robbery because a man was poor and took a gun to rob another person, you can’t also justify the lootings going on because it is pure criminality. My view is that it is not everybody that is hungry that engaged in that looting. This is the truth, it is greed and pure criminality.
“Criminality will always be criminality and anarchy promotes criminality. What has happened in the past two or three weeks led to what is happening now. If there was cohesion and tranquility in society, this would not have happened. Therefore, it is corollary to the near anarchic situation that came on the country because of the protest.
“If you did not have people burning police stations, killing policemen, burning private and public property, you won’t have this kind of looting. That means those same people will be in society and will find ways to eke out a living but because the situation was created for near-anarchy that is why you have this.
“So, I don’t agree that it is all about poverty. Yes in any country, you will have people that are poor, hungry…that is one of the reasons you have government to ensure that the number of the poor reduces progressively.
“So this crowd of people you see going to loot are not necessarily hungry or angry; they are taking advantage of the collapse of law and order that came as a result of the protest.”
- Lifestyle17 hours ago
‘I Tested Positive To HIV After Gang Raped By 3 Men – Chef Ayomide
- Politics15 hours ago
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari
- Education15 hours ago
BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Twitter Users React As Wizkid Delays His ‘Made In Lagos Album’ Release
- News Feed8 hours ago
Come and enter government” – Desmond Elliot tells youth. (Video)
- Sports14 hours ago
The potential for iGaming in Nigeria uncovered
- Education19 hours ago
FG, ASUU Disagree On Payment Platform
- National News10 hours ago
WTO: Trump Wrong For Rejecting Okonjo-Iweala – Fani-Kayode