Connect with us

Education

JAMB Announces When 2017/18 Admission Processes Will Commence

Published

on

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, says the admission processes for 2017/2018 will commence on September 15 and close on January 31, 2018.

The Head of JAMB Information and Media, Dr Fabian Benjamin, made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Bwari, Abuja, on Friday.

Benjamin said that the direct entry applications for admission would close September 15.

He explained that students could only secure admission after they might have passed through the rudiments of admission processes.

According to him, “We have come up with Central Admission Processing System, CAPS, this year.

“This entails that once candidates are admitted and the institution approves, then JAMB will approve, the information about the candidates will be keyed into CAPS automatically.

“Candidates can monitor their admission process through CAPS online and those who want to get admission letter can do so by printing such online.’’

The JAMB spokesman maintained that CAPS will make record gathering easy and give easy access to students to print their admission letters among other things.

“What we are trying to do now is that we are looking at the perimeter realistically; we decided to come up with new strategy aimed at ensuring the actual data.

In a related development, Benjamin told NAN that the 120 minimum cut-off mark would not in any way affect the nation’s educational standard negatively as being alleged by some people.

He said that the issue of the 120 cut-off mark was a policy of heads of tertiary institutions across the country, being the outcome of their policy meeting recently.

“The cut off mark was not the decision of JAMB, but the heads of tertiary institutions at the policy meeting.

“They decided that their institutions should be allowed to determine their own cut-off point based on their own peculiarities, but nobody for whatever reason should go below 120.

Benjamin explained that the sustenance of post UTME was a ministerial decision.

According to him, “we are not opposed to the directive, we see nothing wrong with it, and our interest is to ensure that the goal of admission is achieved.

“What we are all doing is to ensure that the power given to tertiary institutions is based on policies which established them.’’

The JAMB spokesman asserted that the important thing is for tertiary institutions to do what is right.

He noted that most tertiary institutions did not comply with the previous 180 cut-off mark that was given last year.

Education

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

Published

on

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

NECO

The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.

This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.

“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.

Continue Reading

Education

#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the closure of public and private schools indefinitely in the state.

The closure of schools in Lagos was announced in a press statement on Monday by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi.

Also Read: #EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)

The statement which was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’, quoted Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, the Commissioner for Education, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.”

This is coming at a time #EndSARS protests against police brutality and bad governance by Nigerian youths grounded academic activities in some schools in the state on Monday.

“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”

 

Continue Reading

Education

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest

The National Examination Council, NECO, has announced the rescheduled of one of the practical examinations supposed to hold in October till the next month.

This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday, October 18, by the Head, Information and Public Relations Division for the Nigerian exam body, Mr. Azeez Sani.

He announced that the Paper I Computer Studies Practicals examination which was supposed to be taken on Monday, October 19 is now delayed till November 16, 2020.

Also Read: Buhari Appoints Professor Godswill Obioma As New NECO Registrar

Sani revealed that the postponement is a result of the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country, particularly the blockage of movement of transport at the entrance gate into Benin City, the Edo state capital.

He noted further that the truck conveying NECO examination materials had left its take-off point two days earlier to deliver to some states but has been held up in the ‘blockage.

Continue Reading

Trending