Oby Ezekwesili, rights campaigner and former minister of education, has asked Femi Adesina, Buhari’s special adviser on media and publicity, if he has “forgotten everything he once stood for as a journalist”.
In a series of tweets on Thursday, Ezekwesili told the federal government to apologise over the manner it handled anti-Buhari protests.
The president, who is currently away in the UK on medical vacation, had been asked to resume or resign by a group of protesters led by Charles Oputa, popular entertainer better known as Charly Boy.
But the presidency said Buhari will not resign.
Ezekwesili said the presidency “wasted” an opportunity they had to “do right”, in reference to handling the protest.
She also said the recent visit Buhari’s media team paid to him does not solve the issue surrounding the president’s health.
“Somebody should compile @FemAdesina’s articles from his column in Sun newspapers & beg him to read them. Today, my friend is not forever!” she also wrote.
“Ask your friend and professional colleague that called some of us “Yesterday’s men and women” what today is in history for him.
“You maligned and shamelessly met with another whose “message” you like. Forgotten everything you once stood for as a journalist?
“Those whose message you detest are actually the ones that will do you good. Now you look like Abacha’s regime with your ‘crowd.”
“There is a competent way to have engaged the Charles Oputa @Areafada1-led protest and regained public confidence. You blew it.
“It is totally illegal for the federal government to repress any non-violent citizens’ protest on any subject that consistent with our rights.
“What the government did to the Charles Oputa @Areafada1 led Protest is disgraceful. You squandered the opportunity to do right.
“The entire presidency should be apologizing to Nigerians for the disrespectful manner it has carried on concerning the President’s health.
“There are two distinct sides to Mr. President: a fellow citizen, a human being and our president answerable to citizens of this country.
“Due to incompetence and arrogance, the presidency has mixed up these two distinct aspects of the president’s life. Sit down humbly and learn.
“I hope you are not deluding yourselves that marching off to London to take pictures with president responds to citizens’ need?
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.
This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.
Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew
The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.
“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.
#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos
The Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the closure of public and private schools indefinitely in the state.
The closure of schools in Lagos was announced in a press statement on Monday by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi.
The statement which was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’, quoted Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, the Commissioner for Education, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.”
This is coming at a time #EndSARS protests against police brutality and bad governance by Nigerian youths grounded academic activities in some schools in the state on Monday.
“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”
NECO Shifts Exam Over #EndSARS Protest
The National Examination Council, NECO, has announced the rescheduled of one of the practical examinations supposed to hold in October till the next month.
This was contained in a statement made available to newsmen on Sunday, October 18, by the Head, Information and Public Relations Division for the Nigerian exam body, Mr. Azeez Sani.
He announced that the Paper I Computer Studies Practicals examination which was supposed to be taken on Monday, October 19 is now delayed till November 16, 2020.
Sani revealed that the postponement is a result of the ongoing #EndSARS protests across the country, particularly the blockage of movement of transport at the entrance gate into Benin City, the Edo state capital.
He noted further that the truck conveying NECO examination materials had left its take-off point two days earlier to deliver to some states but has been held up in the ‘blockage.
- Metro News20 hours ago
Femi Otedola Reacts To Lekki Tollgate Shooting
- Entertainment19 hours ago
‘We Need A Female President Now, More Than Ever’ – Actress Sylvia Oluchy
- Entertainment19 hours ago
Toke Makinwa Blasts Lagos Lawmaker For Saying He Wanted To Share Looted Palliatives On His Birthday
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Wizkid Spotted At His Babymama’s Birthday Party (Video)
- Entertainment23 hours ago
‘Being Bitter, Quarrelsome And Outrightly Foolish Does Not Make You A Feminist’ – Actress Queen Nwokoye
- National News21 hours ago
If Nigeria Doesn’t Restructure, It Will Break Up – Gani Adams
- Entertainment19 hours ago
‘Nigeria Should Be A YouTube Channel Or A Netflix Movie’ – BBNaija’s Kimoprah
- News Feed20 hours ago
Man leaves psychiatric hospital with stolen bed in Calabar (Video)