Connect with us

National News

Olusegun Obasanjo sends congratulatory message to Uhuru Kenyatta

Published

on

Former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has sent a  congratulatory message to  Uhuru Kenyatta on his re-election as the president of Kenya.

The letter, dated August 12, 2017, noted that last Tuesday’s election in the East African country is not devoid of “some elements of push and pull” associated with recent elections in the continent.

He however said rather than see these issues as challenges, they should be used as an opportunity to “bind the wound and to unite a country divided by the electoral process.”

“All friends of Kenya were anxious that there should be no similar violence that followed the election in 2008. So far, so good and thanks to God,” Mr Obasanjo, a two-time head of state of Nigeria wrote.

“May I crave your indulgence to suggest that for stability of democracy in Kenya and for the interest of the people of Kenya as a whole, that the allegations of manipulation of results in the process of transmission should be thoroughly investigated with an appropriate measures taken to ensure integrity of future elections, as may be necessary,” he added.

Pockets of violence have erupted after Mr kenyatta was declared winner of the election having scored 54.3 percent of total vote cast.

No fewer than 10 people, including a child, have been shot after protesters took to the streets.

The country’s opposition has rejected the result calling it a “charade” and a “disaster.”

“We are not going to be party to it. Our issues have not been addressed. One can conclude they [electoral commission] are not keen on taking our concerns seriously,”said Musalia Mudavadi, a senior official of the opposition National Super Alliance (NASA) and former Kenyan vice president.

Source: ( Premium Times )

National News

Femi Adesina: #EndSARS Protests Fuelled Looting Of Warehouses

Published

on

#EndSARS: I have been receiving curses on my phone – Femi Adesina
Femi Adesina: #EndSARS Protests Fuelled Looting Of Warehouses

Femi Adesina

Femi Adesina, special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on media and publicity has alleged that some Nigerians involved in recent cases of looting experienced in some cities across the country didn’t do it because they were angry or hungry.

He alleged that they were simply taking advantage of the collapse of law and order caused by the #EndSARS protests.

He stated this on Thursday, 29th October when he appeared on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme.

He declared that poverty has nothing to do with the invasion of COVID-19 palliatives warehouses.

Also Read: BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt

He said: “Criminality is criminality. Would it justify armed robbery because the man was poor? Would you justify armed robbery because the man didn’t have money?

“Just as you cannot justify armed robbery because a man was poor and took a gun to rob another person, you can’t also justify the lootings going on because it is pure criminality. My view is that it is not everybody that is hungry that engaged in that looting. This is the truth, it is greed and pure criminality.

“Criminality will always be criminality and anarchy promotes criminality. What has happened in the past two or three weeks led to what is happening now. If there was cohesion and tranquility in society, this would not have happened. Therefore, it is corollary to the near anarchic situation that came on the country because of the protest.

“If you did not have people burning police stations, killing policemen, burning private and public property, you won’t have this kind of looting. That means those same people will be in society and will find ways to eke out a living but because the situation was created for near-anarchy that is why you have this.

“So, I don’t agree that it is all about poverty. Yes in any country, you will have people that are poor, hungry…that is one of the reasons you have government to ensure that the number of the poor reduces progressively.

“So this crowd of people you see going to loot are not necessarily hungry or angry; they are taking advantage of the collapse of law and order that came as a result of the protest.”

Continue Reading

National News

Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Published

on

Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew
Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Nyesom wike

Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has signed an executive order to reinforce the ban on Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) and its activities in the State.

Governor Wike disclosed he has signed an executive order proscribing IPOB in Rivers during a state broadcast on Wednesday night, a day IPOB worldwide leader, Nnamdi Kanu, referred to him as a “little Hitler.”

Governor Wike stressed during the broadcast that while Rivers remains the home to all tribes and ethnic nationalities, the state government is opposed to the presence and activities of the legally proscribed and anarchic IPOB and whatever it stands for in the south-south state.

Also Read: FG building new airports in Benue, Ebonyi, Ekiti, Lafia, Damaturu, Anambra: Minister

The Rivers State governor said while his administration acknowledges and appreciate the enormous contributions from non-indigenes to the political, social, and economic development of the State, it will neither accept nor allow any individual or group from within and outside to violate the peace, endanger lives and property under any guise in the State.

Recall that the Governor had earlier lifted a ban on movement which had been imposed in some parts of the state.

Some of the areas include Mile 1, Mile 2, Ilabuchi, Ikokwu areas among others.

Wike however said the curfew in Oyigbo Local Government Area stile remains while the Ikokwu market remains shut.

Continue Reading

National News

Ogun Governor Orders Full Reopening Of Businesses, Others

Published

on

#EndSARS: Abiodun Orders Release Of Ogun Protesters Charged To Court
Ogun Governor Orders Full Reopening Of Businesses, Others

Governor Dapo Abiodun

Governor Dapo Abiodun of Ogun State has ordered the full reopening of hotels, viewing centres, marquees, event centres, suites, guest houses, and motels.

Others in that category are restaurants, eateries, lounges, bars, and cinemas.

Recall that in the wake of the deadly Coronavirus, Dapo Abiodun ordered the closure of those establishments to avoid the spread of disease.

Also Read: Lekki tollgate should be dismantled permanently: Bode George

This was contained in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Kunle Somorin, on Wednesday.

The Ogun governor said those in the industry should open for business fully.

Somorin also revealed that schools, markets, churches, and mosques in Ogun have been asked to revert to their regular programme of activities as obtained before COVID-19.

However, Somorin urged the hospitality establishments to strictly adhere to a set of guidelines in order to keep up with the protocols aimed at further flattening the curve of COVID-19.

Continue Reading

Trending