Seventeen people have been killed and a dozen injured in a “terrorist attack” on a restaurant in Burkina Faso’s capital, the government said Monday.
Witnesses said three gunmen arrived at a Turkish restaurant in a pickup truck on Sunday evening and opened fire on customers seated outside.
The government then launched a counter-assault, with gunfire heard into the night.
“A terrorist attack at Istanbul restaurant on Ouagadougou’s Kwame Nkrumah Avenue claimed 17 victims, their nationalities are yet to be confirmed,” a government statement said, adding that 12 people had been injured.
Communication minister Remis Dandjinou said it was not clear how many assailants were involved.
“They are confined to one part of the building they attacked. Security and elite forces are conducting an operation,” he said on television.
A paramedic told AFP that one of the victims was a Turkish national.
“We evacuated 11 people but one of them, a Turk, died on arriving at hospital,” the paramedic said, declining to be named.
Police evacuated civilians from the area before launching the counter-assault, with the heavy exchange of fire becoming more sporadic as the operation went on.
One soldier had said there were hostages on the first and second floor of the two-storey building housing the Turkish restaurant.
The mayor of Ouagadougou and government ministers were at the scene, he added.
Video footage posted on Twitter shows people fleeing, as shouting and gunshots are heard. Armed officers in uniform are then seen walking towards the attack site.
An AFP journalist at the scene said the gunfire stopped at around 3:00 am (0300 GMT).
Burkina Faso, a poor landlocked nation bordering Mali and Niger, has seen a string of attacks claimed by jihadist groups in recent years.
In December 2016 a dozen soldiers were killed in an assault on their base in the north of the country. And in October that year there was an attack that killed four troops and two civilians.
The worst recent attack was an assault on a hotel and cafe in central Ouagadougou in January 2016 that killed 30 people including several foreigners.
Gunmen from the Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) group attacked the Splendid hotel and the Cappuccino restaurant opposite, both popular with Westerners, sparking a protracted standoff with security forces.
AQIM named the three gunmen responsible and published photos of them, dressed in military fatigues and wielding weapons.
The hotel and cafe attack came weeks after jihadists claimed an assault on a top hotel in Bamako, capital of neighbouring Mali, that killed 20 people.
There have also been kidnappings — of Burkinabes as well as foreigners. An Australian and a Romanian, abducted in 2015, are still being held hostage by Islamist groups affiliated with Al-Qaeda.
Source: ( AFP )
BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s nominee for the office of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation, has emerged winner of the highly competitive race.
Information Nigeria gathered that Okonjo-Iweala was chosen as the final candidate for the much-coveted role. She polled 104 votes from 164 member countries to defeat how South Korea’s trade minister at the final stage of the race.
She has broken many records, including becoming the first African to occupy win that office at the WTO.
The official announcement is expected to be made by the WTO at 3pm Nigerian time.
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi has instructed all workers in the state civil service that have been away from their duty post due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions to resume back to work.
The Governor issued the directive in a statement on Wednesday by the Head of the State Civil Service, Mrs. Peju Babafemi.
Workers on grade levels 02–07 in the state workforce have been away from office since March 23, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, they have now been directed to resume duties from Monday, November 2, 2020, and ensure full compliance with COVID-19 protocols and safety measures.
Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode has reacted to the Nigerian Army’s statement that the Lagos State Government invited the army to enforce a curfew on Tuesday the 20th of October in the State.
Recall that on Tuesday, the 81 Divison of the Nigerian army stated that it was invited to enforce the curfew in Lagos by the state government, although it denied shooting at #EndSARS protesters in Lekki, Lagos.
This came a day after Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu stated that the army shot at protesters in Lagos.
Reacting to the statement from the army, the former minister wrote:
“The @HQNigerianArmy claim it was the LASG that asked for soldiers to be deployed at Lekki. The implications of this for
@jidesanwoolu are grave. He has been thrown under the bus by the military.”
— Femi Fani-Kayode (@realFFK) October 27, 2020
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Ciara Appreciates Husband, Russell Wilson For His Sweet Words On Her Birthday
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Tiwa Savage To Release New Song, ‘Ole’
- National News7 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army
- Entertainment21 hours ago
‘This Made Me Smile’ – Davido Reacts To Video Of A Baby Enjoying ‘Fem’
- Entertainment22 hours ago
‘The Bible Has Every Scenario You Can Think Of’ – Actress Jemima Osunde
- News Feed22 hours ago
Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Lawyer drags Buhari, Buratai to court
- National News23 hours ago
BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Approves Full Reopening Of Lagos Markets
- Entertainment20 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘The Only People I Pity Are The Poor’ – Actress Caroline Hutchings