The Lagos State House of Assembly yesterday, passed a resolution to revive teaching of history in schools for nation building.
The House called on Governor Akinwunmi Ambode to direct relevant ministries and agencies of the state to revive and enhance the teaching of the subject.
The Assembly also called on the state’s ministry of education to brief the House committee on education on strategies needed to achieve the goal.
The Deputy Majority Leader, Olumuyiwa Jimoh, who moved the motion, said that there had been a decline in the teaching of history in schools.
“Our history and collective patrimonies should be taught in schools to address some of the fundamental issues on nation building and give us direction.
Without history, we are a lost race; it is through history we know our origin and tradition.
We need to resuscitate it and make its teaching compulsory. Without our history, there is no way we can develop,”.
Other lawmakers also decried the decline in history teaching in schools, saying that Nigeria had suffered much from the decline.
According to them, history is important for the socio-economic, cultural and political development of the nation.
The lawmakers decried the decision of the National Council of Education in 2007 that teaching of history was not necessary in schools.
The Chairman, House Committee on Education, Lanre Ogunyemi, said it was sad that history was no longer taught in many schools.
Ogunyemi said that subjects such as social studies, civic education and government could not replace history.
“The importance of history to mankind can’t be overemphasised because it helps us to remember the past and shape our future.
No one can kill history no matter how he tries. The earlier we bring back teaching of history in our schools, the better for us,”
In his submission, Speaker Mudashiru Obasa described history as a teacher. He said
History is like a teacher teaching us where we were, where we are, and the way to go.
It is to our own advantage politically, economically, culturally and others.
It is important to return history to our school curriculum.
Thug attacks police station in Lagos, steals DPO’s uniform (Video)
Men of the Lagos Police Command have paraded a hoodlum who attacked and burnt a police station in the state, carting away the DPO’S uniform
The suspect was arrested while rocking the uniform of a DPO.
He was paraded before newsmen by the Lagos state police command today October 27.
Watch a video of him while being paraded along with others below:
Burial arrangements of killed #EndSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, announced
The burial poster of an endSARS protester, Anthony Unuode, who was attacked and stabbed to death by hoodlums in Abuja, has been released by his family members.
Unuode, who joined other Nigerians to protest against police brutality in Kubwa area of Abuja, was attacked and killed by hoodlums who hijacked the peaceful protest.
He was rushed to the hospital where he later died.
He was 28 years old.
According to his obituary, Anthony who was 28 years, will be interred on October 30.
See his obituary below:
Army denies shooting #EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate
The Nigerian Army has denied allegations that it shot and killed peaceful end SARS protesters at Lekki toll plaza on October 20.
The denial was disclosed in a statement released by the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army (NA)
The Acting Director Army Public Relations (ADPR), Major Osoba Olaniyi, however, confirmed the involvement of soldiers in restoring order in Lagos following the imposition of a curfew on the state by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Read the statement below:
“The attention of Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army has been drawn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilian protesters were massacred by soldiers at Lekki Toll Plaza. This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country.
At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian. From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved.
However, the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24- hour curfew was imposed.
This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.
The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that LASG requested for the military to intervene in order to restore normalcy.
The intervention of the military followed all laid down procedures for Internal Security operations and all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement (ROE) for Internal Security operations.
Finally, Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact.
This allegation is the hand work of mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation as there is no iota of truth therein.”
- Entertainment24 hours ago
“I Don’t Think You’d Ever Lose Me, My Feelings For You Won’t Change” – Neo Promises Vee (Video)
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Ciara Appreciates Husband, Russell Wilson For His Sweet Words On Her Birthday
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Gbenro Ajibade Wishes Ex-Wife, Osas Ighodaro A Happy Birthday
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Tiwa Savage To Release New Song, ‘Ole’
- National News6 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army
- Entertainment20 hours ago
‘This Made Me Smile’ – Davido Reacts To Video Of A Baby Enjoying ‘Fem’
- Entertainment21 hours ago
‘The Bible Has Every Scenario You Can Think Of’ – Actress Jemima Osunde
- News Feed21 hours ago
Lekki Shooting: Nigerian Lawyer drags Buhari, Buratai to court