The Boko Haram insurgent on Monday released a video showing some women abducted by the insurgents last month. In the video, published by Sahara Reporters, the women pleaded with the Nigerian government to negotiate with the terrorists for their release.
The women are believed to be among 14 others abducted when the gunmen ambushed a convoy travelling under military escort along the Biu road in Borno State.
The 4:35 minutes video footage featured a hooded Boko Haram member introducing the women and thereafter asked two of them to deliver their message to the Nigerian government.
The video showed about 10 of the women who appeared traumatized but well kept.
It could be recalled that a large convoy travelling from Maiduguri to Damboa under a military escort was ambushed on June 20 by Boko Haram gunmen some 31 kilometres from Maiduguri.
Some of the travellers, including a police officer and a soldier were killed in the ambush.
Although the Borno State Police Command confirmed the attack, it refused to state the number of those taken away by the attackers.
A few days after the ambush, Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, release a short video where he claimed that his fighters had seized more than a dozen women and “senior police officers” in the ambush. Mr. Shekau said the abducted women had become his “slaves”.
The release of Monday’s video came on the same day elders of Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno State held a press conference in Maiduguri to urge the Nigerian government to secure the release of 14 abducted women from their community.
The elders said the women were seized even though they were travelling in a police vehicle to attend a ceremony.
The abducted women are relatives of a deceased police woman whose corpse was being conveyed for burial when their convoy was attacked.
The elders lamented “the disturbing silence of the government” over the fate of the missing women.
In the Boko Haram video footage, one of the abducted women who introduced herself as Deborah Philemon, said their captors had been very nice to them, although it appeared she had been rehearsed by her captors for the speech.
“My name is Deborah Philemon. What I want to tell the people of Nigeria is that in all honesty, you (Boko Haram) have been taking good care of us since the time you picked us to this place, you have been providing care to those that were wounded.
“We have never been hungry for a single day; you give us water and all that we need to feed with. The government of Nigeria should not deny that we have been kidnapped; we are kidnapped and here we are. We thank you people that have been taking good care of us.”
After the speech by Mrs. Philemon, some of the women were shown sobbing as the Boko Haram gunman standing in front of them directed the next woman to make her speech.
Introducing herself as Amina Adam Gambiya, the woman, who appeared to be in her 50s, said she is a staff of the Federal College of Fresh Water Fishery, Baga.
“My name is Amina Adam Gambiya. I am a staff of Federal College of Fresh Water Fishery, Baga. I am a lecturer. We want the government to know that among us are government workers, some are not. We are all humans. We want government to come to our rescue the way they did to the Chibok schoolgirls; government should not abandon us, because we are all citizens.
“This happened to me when I was on my way traveling. So, on behalf of all the women here, both those that are federal government workers and those that are not, the government should do the needful just as it did to the Chibok schoolgirls so that we could be freed.
“Among the women here, there are some five of us that are breadwinners of their families. No one should doubt that we are abducted. Here we are; it is clear that we have been abducted for nearly 30 days. We beg you to do all that is best to come and release us; we are in distress here.”
The video ended abruptly after the speech by Mrs. Gombiya.
On Monday afternoon, elders of Askira Uba Local Government Area informed journalists at their press conference that the 14 women in the custody of Boko Haram were their wives and daughters.
They said they were worried that nothing had been done by the police and other security agencies to rescue the women since their abduction, despite entreaties made by individuals and officials of the local government council.
“Till date the security agencies are still silent on this burning issue,” said the elders led by Madu Bukar, a former chairman of the governing council of the Federal College of Education (Technical), Potiskum.
“We the parents, husbands, relations and indeed entire Margi community of Askira Uba Local Government Area are now in trauma waiting anxiously to know why we are being treated like that,” Mr. Bukar said for the group.
He said they had written an open letter to the Acting president, Yemi Osinbajo, and petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Idris Ibrahim, for redress.
Source: ( PM News )
Court To Begin Nnamdi Kanu’s ‘Treason’ Trial In Absentia
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, is set to commence the trial of the leader of the Proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.
The trial of the IPOB leader has been scheduled for November 26th and will see five prosecution witnesses lined up to testify against Kanu.
This was disclosed in a hearing notice served on the prosecution team in the office of the attorney general and Kanu’s lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor.
Kanu is facing charges bordering on treasonable felony instituted against him in response to years of campaign for the independent Republic of Biafra through IPOB.
Court Orders Reps Member To Produce Fleeing Maina’s Son Within Nine Days
Faisal is being prosecuted before the court on money laundering related offences and was granted bail in 2019.
Honorable Galadima who is representing Kaura Namoda Federal Constituency of Zamfara State is standing surety for Faisal after signing a N60 million bond.
Justice Okon Abang in a ruling on Wednesday ordered Dan Galadima, who was present in court, to show cause by December 4 why he should either not forfeit the N60 million he pledged while taking Faisal on bail, or be sent to prison until he is able to produce the defendant.
Recall that on Monday, Justice Abang sentenced Senator Ali Ndume who is a surety for the former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team who has also jumped bail.
Lawyer Dumps Maina, Applies To Quit Case
Adeola Adedipe, a lawyer hired by Abulrasheed Maina, ex-Chairman of defunct Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT), in his ongoing trial for money laundering, has applied to quit the case.
Maina’s lawyer who is also representing the company of the former PRTT Chairman – Common Input Property and Investment Ltd, informed a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja at the resumption of proceedings in the case on Wednesday, that he has filed a notice, indicating his intention to withdraw from further representing his client.
Adedipe revealed that his brief has not been perfected due to the failure of his client to pay.
He apologised to the federal court presided over Justice Okon Abang for being absent from proceedings during some of the recent adjournments.
- Politics16 hours ago
BREAKING: Senator Abbo Dumps PDP; Joins APC
- News Feed16 hours ago
Lai Mohammed reacts to second report on Lekki tollgate shooting
- National News19 hours ago
Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action
- Entertainment17 hours ago
Socialite Pretty Mike And His 6 Pregnant Babymamas Make It To The Wendy Williams Show
- News Feed16 hours ago
Water tank driver accuses Duncan Mighty of assaulting him in Rivers
- News Feed16 hours ago
Offa Polytechnic Student Union Government Gives Merit Award To Cultist Groups
- Entertainment17 hours ago
“Know Who You’re Coming For” – BBNaija’s Cee-C Debunks Rumor That She Didn’t Pass Her Bar Exams
- National News16 hours ago
BREAKING: Court Fixes Date For Ndume’s Bail Application