Connect with us

National News

Jamb says no make-up exam will be organised – Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) said on Saturday that there would be no rescheduling of examination for candidates who reported late for the mop-up examination.

JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, said this while reacting to complaints by candidates sitting for the mop-up examination at the board’s Computer-Based Centre (CBT) in Bwari, FCT.

Oloyede, who led  some staff members on the supervision of the exercise, said the exam was a supplementary Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) being conducted in 170 centres across the country.

He said 85, 000 candidates slated for the mop-up exam were notified through text messages and warned those who came late that the board would not reschedule the exam.

“There is nothing you can do … we placed adverts in newspapers, sent e-mails and text messages and if you did not get it, it means that you were not invited for the exam.

“A bulk Short Message Service (SMS) was equally sent to your telephone numbers that you provided during the registration.

“We will not reschedule the exam for people who came late,” Oloyede said.

On complaints about system failure, Oloyede explained that the computers had been programmed to work under a specific time frame and urged candidates to engage the computers regularly to avoid disruption.

According to him, if a candidate sits down in the exam hall doing nothing, the computer is likely to shut down because there is a time frame for its usage.

“If you do not use it, it will go off. When you sit and you are not doing anything within that time frame, we also monitor from our system to ensure you that candidates are not cheating,”

85, 000 candidates of the 1.7 million enrolled for the 2017 UTME had registered late for the exam and also had some challenges with the exam.

The mop-up examination which held in two sessions lasted for two hours from 7.00 a.m. to 9.00 a.m.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

National News

Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River

Published

on

Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River
Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River

Ben Ayade

Governor of Cross River State, Ben Ayade has relaxed the curfew in the state from 4 pm-6 am to 6 am-6 pm.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Christain Ita on Saturday.

The new time is scheduled to take effect from Saturday, October 31st.

Also Read: Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

Recall that following the hijacking of the peaceful protest against police brutality in the state by hoodlums, the state governor, imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state, on Friday, October 23, 2020.

“The state governor, His Excellency, Sir Ben Ayade has reviewed the curfew imposed on the state and has directed that with effect from Saturday, October 31, 2020, curfew hours will now be between the hours of 6 pm and 6 am daily.

“Restriction of movement is hereby relaxed from 6 am to 6 pm,” the statement added.

 

Continue Reading

National News

El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers

Published

on

El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers
El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers

Governor El-rufai

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-rufai has condemned the attack on police officers and police barracks in the State following the outbreak of violence that trailed the #EndSARS protest.

He made this remark when he met with youth leaders from the 23 Local Government Areas of the state on Friday.

At the event, he appealed to them not to engage in any act of violence or looting.

El-Rufai vowed to prosecute those behind the looting and threat of peace in Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas according to the law.

Also Read: Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

“You cannot condemn an entire profession because of the misconduct of a few. SARS is just a small unit of the Nigerian Police Force, and even among SARS, they are not all bad,” he said

“Yes, some of them might have been quite bad and killed many people, but that should not be used to frame the police in a manner that people feel justified to attack and kill policemen.

“I have seen a video where a policeman was attacked and burnt to death. For what? That policeman is a human being, creation from God, he has children, and he has a family.

“Who will look after them? The Nigerian Police is the only police we have, it Is our collective duty as citizens, as leaders to come together and help the police to be better.”

Continue Reading

National News

Nasarawa Governor Sule Calls For Training Of Police Officers

Published

on

Nasarawa Governor Sule Calls For Training Of Police Officers
Nasarawa Governor Sule Calls For Training Of Police Officers

Abdullahi Sule

Governor of Nasarawa State, Abdullahi Sule has called for the training of police officers in the country to tackle the numerous security challenges affecting the country.

He made the call during an empowerment programme on Friday in Karu, Karu Local Government Area of the state.

At the event, he described the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) as disheartening.

He, however, called for understanding from the youths.

Also Read: Stop Giving Us Awards… Challenge Us So We Can Sit Up, Wike Tells Journalists

“The kind of reforms we would want is to ensure that the police is well trained and well equipped and that is why it is disheartening to see that SARS is completely dismantled,” he said.

“SARS as I understand is the unit that has been trained specifically to be able to confront armed robbery and some kind of dangers that probably other policemen have not been trained for that.

“Now that we have dismantled them, whatever form that we have, we have to go and train them again so I call on us to use the opportunity not to be throwing away the bathing water and the baby at the same time.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending