Connect with us

National News

NUPENG suspends strike in Rivers State

Published

on

The National​ Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers of Nigeria (NUPENG) has suspended its strike just after 48 hours after it embarked on the strike.

The strike was suspended on Friday and it was declared that there will be no scarcity of petroleum products in Rivers State as the union will continue to discharge its responsibility of supplying products.

The Rivers State Government also promised to reconstruct the damaged portion of the East West road, stretching from Eleme Junction to Refinery Junction, in conjunction with Indorama Plc.

The government will also reconstruct the Port Harcourt-Aba Federal Road, along the Oyigbo axis

Addressing journalists on Friday after meeting with the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike at the Government House, Port Harcourt, National Industrial Relations Officer of NUPENG, Comrade Bassey Harry declared that having met the governor, the union will cooperate with the administration as following its promise to fix the two Federal roads.

Following the agreement with Governor Wike, NUPENG will use its platforms to supply products to all local government areas of the state.

NUPENG commended Governor Wike for the initial reconstruction of the East West Road, which was a death trap at the time he assumed duty as the governor of the state.

He said: “We understand the effort of the governor. We took into consideration the fact that the area we are mentioning today was like a death trap. But within six months in office, 80 percent of the road was fixed by him.

“With him, that road as promised will be fixed as soon as possible. We are prepared to cooperate with him to see how that road will be fixed . There will be no fuel scarcity. We will manage the situation. The trucks will ply the roads as we know how to go about it.”

The National Industrial Relations Officer added: “We have given him our word that we will manage the situation to ensure that there will be no fuel scarcity. So people should not go for panic buying. People should not store fuel in their houses.”

Governor Wike who said he had been fixing federal roads in the past expressed his commitment to the growth of the state’s economy.

Source: ( PM News )

National News

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Published

on

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Governor Akeredolu

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has expressed that there is a serious security crisis in Ondo State.

He made this remark while lamenting the murder of a monarch in the state, Olufon of Ifon in Ose local government, Oba Isreal Adeusi, who was killed by suspected kidnappers.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, Akeredolu described the incident as a sad one for the State.

Also Read: Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

The governor described the act as a heinous crime that is too heavy and unbearable.

He said he has directed security agencies, especially the Nigeria Police, to fish out the perpetrators of the crime.

Akeredolu also vowed to do all he can to unravel those behind the act and make them face the full wrath of the law.

He advised that caution should be exercised from making public reference in statements or utterances in respect of the “great loss.”

 

Continue Reading

National News

Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

Published

on

 Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has predicted that the nation’s economy may emerge from recession in the first quarter of 2021.

Recall that some days ago, Nigeria entered into recession for the second time since 2016.

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, made the prediction on Friday during the 55th annual Bankers Dinner which held in Lagos.

He expressed that the expected economic growth was two per cent.

Also Read: Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Emefiele said, “With the sustained implementation of our intervention measures, we do expect that the Nigerian economy could emerge from the recession by the first quarter of 2021.”

“We also expect that growth in 2021 would attain 2.0 per cent. However, downside risks remain, as restoration of full economic activities, particularly in service-related sectors, remains uncertain until a COVID vaccine is produced and made available to millions of people across the world.

“Second, with the significant rise in cases in advanced markets and the imposition of lockdowns in parts of Europe, concerns remain on the impact this could have on growth in advanced economies, commodity prices and the financial markets.”

He also called for measures to “insulate our economy from the impact of these shocks through our diversification efforts, while also working to ensure that we adhere to safety protocols in order to prevent a surge in COVID-19 related cases, as this could further cripple economic activities.

This prediction by the apex bank echoes the projection of the Minister for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, who stated that Nigeria would exit recession in the first quarter of 2021.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah’s Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Published

on

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah's Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has reacted to the call for the scrapping of the popular ‘Black Friday’sales by the Kano State Hisbah Board.

Recall that earlier on Friday, the board asked a radio station, demanding that it stops using the word “Black Friday” to refer to Friday.

Also Read: TECNO Stormed Computer Village with BBNaija’s OZO to Wrap up its Black Friday Sales Activities

The board explained that since Friday is regarded as a holy day in Islam, tagging it “Black Friday” is derogatory and a thus, should not be condoned.

Reacting to the statement, the former lawmaker from Kaduna described the threat by the Hisbah board as ‘nonsensical.”

He wrote:

Continue Reading

Trending