Connect with us

Entertainment

Nigerian Model Demands N97 Million From Bank For Using Her Photo Without Authorization

Published

on

A Nigerian model based in the United States of America, Nneoma Anosike, has filed an action against Wema Bank PLC before a Lagos Division of the Federal High Court for allegedly using her photos for commercial purposes without authorization.

Ms. Anosike, 22, sued the bank through her father, Frank Anosike, who doubles as her lawyer, claiming N97 million as damages.

According to the plaintiff, the bank on April 11, 2016, used her photo for a commercial on a social network platform, Instagram, without her permission or authorization from Ford Models Inc, her American management company.

Among her prayers, the plaintiff is seeking an order directing the defendant to pay N75 million for allegedly passing off her services.

She is also seeking an injunction warning the defendant from passing off or causing others to pass off her professional services and a declaration that she is entitled to her privacy of her correspondence under Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution.

The plaintiff is also seeking an order directing the bank to pay her N20 million for the breach of her privacy by advertising her private correspondence; an order to publish a written apology in two national dailies in Nigeria and in the U.S.; and N2 million as the cost of filing the suit.

According to the statement of claims attached to the suit, the plaintiff claimed that she is a trustworthy international model who had won many laurels within and outside the country, including the ‘Elite Model Look’ 2013 in Nigeria.

Ms. Anosike said based on her reputation, Pepsi-Cola Nigeria made her its brand ambassador for Aquafina water.

The plaintiff further averred that her contract with Ford Models Inc took her to the U.S. and that prior to the defendant’s advert of her, she was in negotiations with the company for a renewal of her contract.

But on April 11 last year, according to Ms. Anosike, the management of Ford Models summoned her to a meeting on April 12 wherein she was presented with her photo advert procured from the Instagram account of the defendant.

She alleged that the defendant mutilated and edited her professional photo for the said advert uploaded on the internet, adding that based on that action, her contract renewal with the American company has been jeopardized.

But in its statement of defense, the defendant averred that the bank was not a party to the alleged modeling contract between the plaintiff and the American company and was not privy to it.

The bank also stated that the photo in question was sourced from social media for its weekly online motivational and educational series, intended to inspire going online users.

The bank denied using the plaintiff’s photo for any advertisement purposes or for any commercial gain but for a purely free educational purpose under its Corporate Social Responsibility program.

Justice Ibrahim Buba adjourned the matter till June 15 for further hearing.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Noble Igwe, AY Makun Clash On Twitter Over Comedians Who Invite Politicians To Their Shows

Published

on

Noble Igwe, AY Makun Clash On Twitter Over Comedians Who Invite Politicians To Their Shows

AY Makun, Noble Igwe

Popular figures, Noble Igwe and AY Makun, have clashed on Twitter owing to the former’s tweet that comedians allow politicians to come to their shows and pay for expensive tables.

AY Makun, who is a stand-up comedian, then took it upon himself to defend himself and his colleagues. He replied Noble Igwe thus:

“A comedian was with d people at Lekki Tollgate while u were busy tweeting last night. Today is not d day to discuss a baseless tweet. I will still love you like a brother & educate you later on the principles of buying and selling. Gucci never asked hushpuppi his sources of income”

Read Also‘I Am Not Beefing BBNaija Housemates’ – AY Makun

Noble Igwe also replied. He wrote:

“You know what’s funny? Same way I twitted about bloggers, musicians and comedians, the same thing I said about all of us taking power into our hands but you decided to tweet these things and still say ‘I still love you’ Carry on!”

See their exchange below:

The duo’s exchange

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness’ – Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt

Published

on

'Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness' - Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt
'Zero Accountability, Pure Wickedness' - Banky W Lambasts Lagos Govt

Banky W

Nigerian entertainer, Bankole Wellington, better known as Banky W, has accused the government of zero accountability and pure wickedness.

Saddened by the recent turn of events regarding the End SARS protests, the R&B singer cum actor took to his Twitter page to ask what the government is doing to fish out the perpetrators of the Lekki Massacre that took place at the Tollgate on Tuesday.

Read Also‘Our Hearts Are Broken But Our Spirits Will Never Die’ – Banky W Condemns Lekki Massacre

In his words:

“Who authorized soldiers to shoot at peaceful protesters? Why were the lights turned off shortly before they came? Why are so many warehouses being discovered filled with food meant for feeding our poor? Why were looters allowed to destroy our businesses? Zero accountability. Just wickedness.”

See his tweet below:

The singer’s tweet

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests

Published

on

Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests
Actor Deyemi Okanlawon Reveals Next Strategy For #EndSARS Protests

Deyemi Okanlawon

Nollywood actor, Deyemi Okanlawon, has shared the better strategy for the ongoing End SARS protests. The actor took to his Twitter page to advise that it is better to challenge the government of the day without endangering the lives of people.

Information Nigeria recalls key players at the beginning of the protests identified as Feminist Coalition recently released a statement in which they state that they are no longer receiving funds for the protest.

Read Also”Submission is not exclusive to one gender”- Actor Deyemi Okanlawon

The movie star now thinks it is necessary to avoid going out to the streets where there could be danger. In his words:

“What can online protesting achieve? The protests worked because we were able to hit the govt where it hurts – their pocket. What we shld be looking for are other ways to hit their pocket without exposing any more of us to the danger of an irresponsible, murderous govt #EndSARS”

See his tweet below:

The actor’s tweet

 

Continue Reading

Trending