Connect with us

National News

Government propose the ban of full Hijab in schools

Published

on

The Norwegian government on Monday proposed a bill to ban the full-face Muslim veil in all schools, from nurseries to universities, saying it hinders communication between students and teachers.

Norway’s ruling coalition of conservative and anti-immigration rightwing parties had promised the ban last year, targeting the full-face veil called the niqab as well as burqas, balaclavas and masks.

“We do not want clothes covering the face in nurseries, schools and universities,” Minister of Education and Research Torbjorn Roe Isaksen said in a statement.

“These clothes prevent good communication, which is important for students to receive a good education,” he added.

Norwegian authorities will consult over the coming months with those who could be affected by the draft law.

Norwegian media reported the government can count on the support of most parties, saying the bill was expected to pass in the spring of 2018.

Local authorities in Norway already have the power to ban the veil in schools, however there is no uniform national policy. At this stage, the bill does not lay out consequences for disregarding the proposed law.

The full-face veil is rather uncommon in Norway, even more so in schools, but the issue comes intermittently back into political debates.

The Islamic Council, an umbrella organisation representing Muslims, hired a communication manager wearing a niqab, which sparked a heated discussion earlier this year.

Legislative elections will take place on September 11 in the Nordic country.

“Clothes covering the face, like the niqab and the burqa, have no place in Norwegian schools. It is a fundamental value to be able to communicate with each other,” Per Sandberg, interim minister of immigration and integration, said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am

Published

on

Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am
BREAKING: Curfew Now 10pm To 6am In Lagos -Govt

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.

Lagos State information commissioner Gbenga Omotosho announced the new decision on Friday.

He said the curfew will now be from 10:00 pm till 6:00 am.

Also Read: Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges

“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu praises Lagosians for observing the curfew, which is expected to restore normalcy in our communities,” Omotosho said.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the breakdown of law and order, following the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.

“The curfew will now be from 10 pm till 6 am.

Continue Reading

National News

Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges

Published

on

Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges

Governor Nyesom Wike makes U-turn, joins #EndSARS protesters in Rivers state (video)

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed group, Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) has accused Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike of ordering police and soldiers to kill members of the group.

Recall that Wike had signed an executive order to reinforce the total ban on IPOB and its activities in Rivers State.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Reacting in a tweet on Friday, Kanu accused the Governor of sponsoring state security to execute IPOB members.

“Nyesom Wike, the little Hitler of Rivers State had a closed-door meeting with lawyers where he instructed them that any arrested IPOB member should not be brought to court but rather should be executed by the army & police.”

He wrote:

Continue Reading

National News

Buhari Approves Emaimo’s Re-Appointment

Published

on

Nigerians Reacts As FG Considers Giving Electricity To Chad
Buhari Approves Emaimo’s Re-Appointment

Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reappointment of Dr. John Emaimo, as Rector, Federal College of Dental Technology and Therapy, Enugu State.

The appointment was made known in a letter signed by the Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora on behalf of President Buhari.

Dr. Emaimo’s re-appointment takes effect from Nov. 27, 2020.

Also Read: Nigeria’s Economy Too Fragile For Fresh Lockdown —Buhari

Speaking on the re-appointment, Mamora stated that Emaimo was found eligible for a second term based on his assessment.

The minister urged Emaimo to continue to work with his team because whatever achievements he had made in his first term could not have been done alone.

He reminded him of the enormous responsibilities of his office and the expectations of the government and people towards efficient service delivery.

Continue Reading

Trending