Connect with us

National News

Manchester suicide bomber just returned from Libya- Britain Minister

Published

on

Britain’s interior minister said on Wednesday she believed the suicide bomber, who killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert in the English city of Manchester, had recently returned from Libya.

Asked to confirm whether Salman Abedi had recently come back from the country, Amber Rudd told BBC Television: “Yes, I believe that has been confirmed.

“When this operation is over, we will want to look at his background and what happened, how he became radicalised and what support he might have been given,” she said.

Rudd said up to 3,800 military personnel would be deployed on Britain’s streets in response to the worst militant attack in over a decade.

In another development, British investigators told French authorities that the suspect in the Manchester bombing had probably traveled to Syria, French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on Wednesday.

British police said on Tuesday they believed British-born Abedi, 22, carried out the suicide bombing.

“Today we only know what British investigators have told us, someone of British nationality, of Libyan origin, who suddenly after a trip to Libya, then probably to Syria, becomes radicalized and decides to carry out this attack,” Collomb told BFMTV.

Pressed on how he knew Abedi had been in Syria, Collomb said this was the information that French and British intelligence services had.

Asked if he believed Abedi had the support of a network, Collomb said: “That is not known yet, but perhaps. In any case, (he had) links with Daesh (Islamic State) that are proven.”

Source: (Reuters/NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Senate Committee Screens Yakubu For INEC Chair Today

Published

on

Senate Committee Screens Yakubu For INEC Chair Today

Mahmood Yakubu

The Senate Committee on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), will screen Mahmood Yakubu today following his re-appointment as Chairman of the Commission for a second and final term.

The Chairman of the committee, Kabiru Gaya, disclosed this to journalists on Wednesday after the panel submitted the report of the 2021 budget estimates of the commission to the Senate Committee on Appropriation.

The Senate received President Muhammadu Buhari’s letter seeking Yakubu’s confirmation on Tuesday.

Also Read: 2023: Buhari Reappoints Mahmood Yakubu As INEC Chairman

He had on October 27 announced his decision to reappoint the former INEC boss.

The president’s letter was forwarded to the committee on INEC for screening which Senator Gaya said will be carried out expeditiously.

“Precisely the re-nominated Chairman of the Commission, Professor Mahmood Yakubu is to face our committee by 2:00 pm for the required drilling, the outcome of which will determine the report to be submitted to the Senate on Tuesday,” he said.

Continue Reading

National News

No Plan To Review 2021 Spending Estimates: Minister

Published

on

No Plan To Review 2021 Spending Estimates, Says Ahmed

Finance, Budget and National Planning Minister, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed

Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed has expressed that there is no plan to review the spending estimates of the 2021 budget.

She has also allayed the fears of federal civil servants that the country’s entering into recession might stall the salary payments of workers.

She made this known while speaking with journalists after the weekly virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in the State House.

Also Read: Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Ahmed said even the consequential adjustment in the 2020 budget wholly addressed salary matters.

Recall that the proposed 2021 budget is currently being reviewed by members of the National Assembly.

“On the 2021 budget, we are not planning to retrieve the budget or to reverse the budget beyond the work of appropriation that the National Assembly is currently doing in consultation with us,” she said.

 

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: UK Parliament Does Not Speak For British Govt – FG

Published

on

#EndSARS: UK Parliament Does Not Speak For British Govt – FG

Geoffrey Onyeama

The federal government of Nigeria has stated that it has reached out to the United Kingdom to explain its side of the story over the #EndSARS crisis.

This follows a petition being considered by the United Kingdom to sanction officials of the Nigerian government over alleged human rights abuses during the #EndSARS protests in the country.

However, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, explained to State House Correspondents on Wednesday that Nigeria has reached out to the UK govt.

He explained that FG has presented its own side of the story to the UK govt to aid its deliberations on the matter.

This he stated after the weekly federal executive council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, noting that a balanced view is important in such matters.

Also Read: #EndSARS Protest: Those who have murdered Nigerians will not benefit from trade or travel to the UK – Lyn Brown

He said: “Yes, we have reached out to the UK government. The meeting that took place were Parliamentarians and they do not speak for the UK government which acts for the United Kingdom and they have also heard the side of the (Nigerian) government regarding everything that has happened.

“So, we have been in touch with them and engaging with them. Of course, as in any democracy, the members of parliament are able to also able to air their views.

“But what is important, is that a balanced picture is made available to them before they take any decision.”

Continue Reading

Trending