Reports coming out of Russia in the latest terrorist attack that happened on Monday has revealed that eleven persons were killed and several others injured as an explosion rocked the Saint Petersburg metro , with the Kremlin saying it bore “all the hallmarks of an attack.”
Authorities shut down the metro system in Russia’s second city for several hours as security services said they had also defused a bomb at a second metro station.
Russia’s Investigative Committee said it was probing an “act of terror” but added it would look into all other possible causes of the blast.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion, which comes after the Islamic State group called for attacks on Russia in retribution for its military intervention in Syria fighting against the jihadists.
Pictures screened on national television showed the door of a train carriage blown out, as bloodied bodies lay strewn on a station platform.
Above ground, emergency services vehicles rushed to the scene at the Technological Institute metro station, a key transport hub in the city centre.
As the city prepared to mark three days of mourning, President Vladimir Putin placed a bouquet of red flowers at the entrance to the station in the late evening hours, after chairing a meeting of officials from the FSB intelligence agency, rescuers and the interior ministry.
Anti-terror authorities said in a statement to Russian news agencies that the toll had risen to 11 dead and 45 injured.
“I will be afraid to take the metro now,” said Maria Ilyina, 30, standing near the station, where a growing pile of flowers has been left in tribute to the victims.
“Before we thought that this would not come to Saint Petersburg — now our city is under threat.”
Pensioner Vyacheslav Veselov told AFP he had seen four bodies at the station.
“A station attendant in tears called on the men to help carry the bodies,” he said.
– ‘Barbaric act’ –
The blast occurred in a train carriage as it was travelling between the Technological Institute and Vosstaniya Square stations at 2:40 pm (1140 GMT), said anti-terrorist committee (NAK) spokesman Andrei Przhezdomsky.
The NAK committee later confirmed security services had found another explosive device at the Vosstaniya Square metro station. This device did not explode and was immediately “neutralised.”
The Moscow metro tweeted that it was “taking additional security measures” as required by law in such situations, while NAK said in a statement carried by Russian news agencies that security was being stepped up at transportation hubs and crowded spots across the country.
Putin, who had been in Saint Petersburg holding a meeting at his Strelna presidential palace, offered “condolences” to the wounded and to the loved ones of those killed.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel condemned the explosion as a “barbaric act,” while US President Donald Trump said: “Happening all over the world, absolutely a terrible thing.”
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow and Washington had been in contact over the blast “through diplomatic channels.”
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini wrote on Twitter that she was following developments “together with all EU foreign ministers” gathered for a meeting in Luxembourg.
“Our thoughts are with all the people of Russia,” she wrote.
Russia has not been hit by an apparent attack this deadly since the bombing of a plane carrying holidaymakers back to Saint Petersburg from the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in October 2015, which was claimed by IS. All 224 people onboard were killed.
Russian ground transport has also been hit by extremists before.
In 2013, twin suicide strikes within two days at the main railway station and a trolleybus in the southern city of Volgograd — formerly known as Stalingrad — claimed 34 lives and raised alarm over security at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games.
A suicide raid on Moscow’s Domodedovo airport claimed by Islamic insurgents from the North Caucasus killed 37 people in January 2011.
Lagos Govt Relaxes Curfew From 10pm To 6am
The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.
Lagos State information commissioner Gbenga Omotosho announced the new decision on Friday.
He said the curfew will now be from 10:00 pm till 6:00 am.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu praises Lagosians for observing the curfew, which is expected to restore normalcy in our communities,” Omotosho said.
The statement read, “The Lagos State Government has announced a further relaxation of the curfew imposed after the breakdown of law and order, following the hijack of the peaceful #EndSARS protests.
“The curfew will now be from 10 pm till 6 am.
Wike Ordered Police, Army To Kill IPOB Members, Nnamdi Kanu Alleges
Recall that Wike had signed an executive order to reinforce the total ban on IPOB and its activities in Rivers State.
Reacting in a tweet on Friday, Kanu accused the Governor of sponsoring state security to execute IPOB members.
“Nyesom Wike, the little Hitler of Rivers State had a closed-door meeting with lawyers where he instructed them that any arrested IPOB member should not be brought to court but rather should be executed by the army & police.”
Nyesom Wike, the little Hitler of Rivers State had a closed door meeting with lawyers where he instructed them that any arrested IPOB member should not be brought to court but rather should be executed by the army & police. That Wike may know that we know. Vengeance is the Lord's
— Mazi Nnamdi Kanu (@MaziNnamdiKanu) October 30, 2020
Buhari Approves Emaimo’s Re-Appointment
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reappointment of Dr. John Emaimo, as Rector, Federal College of Dental Technology and Therapy, Enugu State.
The appointment was made known in a letter signed by the Minister of State for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora on behalf of President Buhari.
Dr. Emaimo’s re-appointment takes effect from Nov. 27, 2020.
Speaking on the re-appointment, Mamora stated that Emaimo was found eligible for a second term based on his assessment.
The minister urged Emaimo to continue to work with his team because whatever achievements he had made in his first term could not have been done alone.
He reminded him of the enormous responsibilities of his office and the expectations of the government and people towards efficient service delivery.
- Entertainment13 hours ago
‘You Have Forgotten Days Your Wife Was Feeding You’ – Georgina Onuoha Drags Desmond Elliot
- Special Reports16 hours ago
Ikeja Electricity Officials Caught In Prepaid Meter Fraud
- News Feed21 hours ago
Man dumps fiancee for using N20k to buy food stuffs while he gave her N40k
- News Feed21 hours ago
Woman detained for 6days for violating curfew in Lagos (Video)
- News Feed21 hours ago
Hours after jailbreak, Edo prisoner kills neighbour who testified against him in court
- Entertainment15 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Breaks Down In Tears On Live TV Following Backlash (Video)
- News Feed21 hours ago
Desmond Elliot Acting For His Political Godfathers: Reno Omokri
- National News15 hours ago
Buhari Congratulates Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday