Connect with us

National News

NUPENG calls off strike, tanker drivers resume work

Published

on

The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas employees (NUPENG) has called off it’s strike which lasted for one day. This was announced by the Chairman of the association and he ordered the immediate suspension of the nationwide industrial action.

This is coming as motorists went about their normal activities in Abuja and Lagos on Monday as most of the filling stations dispensed products seamlessly without queues despite the strike by the tanker drivers.

For instance, the two biggest mega filling stations of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation along the Zuba-Abuja Expressway had the usual number of motorists and there was no serious queue at the outlets when our correspondent visited.

The same situation was observed in other filling stations in the city centre, as well as in parts of Kaduna, Niger and Nasarawa states.

The situation was the same in Lagos and Ogun states as filling stations carried on with their normal business activities.

The President, NUPENG, Igwe Achese, announced that the strike had been called off after a meeting that had in attendance members of the union, the PTD, National Association of Transport Owners and the management of the NNPC, led by its Group Managing Director, Dr. Maikanti Baru.

The meeting was held at the corporate headquarters of the NNPC in Abuja and commenced around 3pm on Monday.

“Igwe Achese of NUPENG announced the call off of the strike after the meeting, which was spearheaded by our GMD,” the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, told our correspondent.

During the meeting, Baru announced that the Federal Government had approved the increase in the bridging cost allowance to oil marketers in order to ensure adequate transportation of petroleum products across the country from the various depots.

The NNPC boss said, “I’m happy to announce to you that the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, has just approved the increase in the bridging cost allowance from N6.20 to N7.20. This is a good platform for you all to discuss the issues. We expect that with this, you will call off the strike immediately.

“I plead with you to ensure that your discussions should be guided by national and not personal interest.”

Last week, the PTD arm of NUPENG said it would commence a nationwide strike from Monday.

The strike was to draw the attention of the government and other stakeholders to some unresolved issues bordering on the welfare of workers, such as bad roads, poor remuneration, insecurity and the alleged excesses of some security agencies.

Baru said the review of the bridging cost should give NARTO the breathing space to engage with the tanker drivers to immediately discuss and resolve as many of the issues as possible, adding that the gesture was expected to normalise relations between the unions.

He explained that NNPC intervened in the faceoff between the unions in order to ensure the energy security of Nigeria, adding that ordinarily the dispute was only between the PTD and its employer, NARTO.

The National President, PTD, Salimon Oladiti, lauded the NNPC boss and his management for their timely intervention and urged them to address the unruly behaviour of security agencies towards the members.

On his part, the National President, NARTO, Kassim Bataiya, assured Baru that with his intervention, the condition of service document would be reviewed to improve the drivers’ welfare.

The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Petroleum Downstream, Joseph Akinlaja, who represented the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara, commended the corporation for the intervention, adding that the move saved the country a lot.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper

National News

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Published

on

Akeredolu: There’s A Serious Security Crisis In Ondo

Governor Akeredolu

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has expressed that there is a serious security crisis in Ondo State.

He made this remark while lamenting the murder of a monarch in the state, Olufon of Ifon in Ose local government, Oba Isreal Adeusi, who was killed by suspected kidnappers.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, Akeredolu described the incident as a sad one for the State.

Also Read: Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

The governor described the act as a heinous crime that is too heavy and unbearable.

He said he has directed security agencies, especially the Nigeria Police, to fish out the perpetrators of the crime.

Akeredolu also vowed to do all he can to unravel those behind the act and make them face the full wrath of the law.

He advised that caution should be exercised from making public reference in statements or utterances in respect of the “great loss.”

 

Continue Reading

National News

Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

Published

on

 Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has predicted that the nation’s economy may emerge from recession in the first quarter of 2021.

Recall that some days ago, Nigeria entered into recession for the second time since 2016.

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, made the prediction on Friday during the 55th annual Bankers Dinner which held in Lagos.

He expressed that the expected economic growth was two per cent.

Also Read: Nigeria Will Exit Recession By First Quarter Of 2021 – Finance Minister

Emefiele said, “With the sustained implementation of our intervention measures, we do expect that the Nigerian economy could emerge from the recession by the first quarter of 2021.”

“We also expect that growth in 2021 would attain 2.0 per cent. However, downside risks remain, as restoration of full economic activities, particularly in service-related sectors, remains uncertain until a COVID vaccine is produced and made available to millions of people across the world.

“Second, with the significant rise in cases in advanced markets and the imposition of lockdowns in parts of Europe, concerns remain on the impact this could have on growth in advanced economies, commodity prices and the financial markets.”

He also called for measures to “insulate our economy from the impact of these shocks through our diversification efforts, while also working to ensure that we adhere to safety protocols in order to prevent a surge in COVID-19 related cases, as this could further cripple economic activities.

This prediction by the apex bank echoes the projection of the Minister for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, who stated that Nigeria would exit recession in the first quarter of 2021.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah’s Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Published

on

Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah's Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has reacted to the call for the scrapping of the popular ‘Black Friday’sales by the Kano State Hisbah Board.

Recall that earlier on Friday, the board asked a radio station, demanding that it stops using the word “Black Friday” to refer to Friday.

Also Read: TECNO Stormed Computer Village with BBNaija’s OZO to Wrap up its Black Friday Sales Activities

The board explained that since Friday is regarded as a holy day in Islam, tagging it “Black Friday” is derogatory and a thus, should not be condoned.

Reacting to the statement, the former lawmaker from Kaduna described the threat by the Hisbah board as ‘nonsensical.”

He wrote:

Continue Reading

Trending