The Muslim Rights Concern in Ekiti State has condemned the proposed act by Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose’s to demolish some mosques in the state, describing it as an act of aggression.
Four mosques were last week marked for demolition by the Ekiti State government.
However the government gave reasons for the proposed demolition saying, Muslims could contact cancer from the radioactive emission from petrol stations where the mosques are located.
However, in a statement made available to our correspondent on Friday by MURIC Director, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, the attempt to demolish the mosques is an act of aggression against peace-loving and law-abiding Muslims of the state.
“It is primitive, provocative and sadistic. It is an undisguised invitation to anarchy. The state government’s excuse of exposure to cancer is lame, infantile, laughable and untenable. What of hundreds of petrol attendants who have been serving in petrol stations in Ekiti State since its inception on October 1, 1996?
“How many of them have had cases of cancer? How many petrol attendants in the whole of Nigeria have been exposed to radioactive emissions? Can the claim be certified by the World Health Organisation? Fayose’s public health adviser must be from hell,” the statement said.
Akintola stated that Fayose’s radioactive emission claim was a “mere cloak for political vendetta”.
He said, “It has since been revealed that all the four petrol stations involved belong to Alhaji Suleman Akinbami, a chieftain of the opposition party. Fayose has probably forgotten that the end-users of those mosques are Muslims of Ekiti State and the petrol dealer hardly uses them..
“This is where Fayose misfired. He is targeting Muslims in Ekiti State by attempting to demolish those mosques but he has forgotten that anyone who attacks a mosque anywhere in Nigeria has courted the wrath of Nigerian Muslims. Ekiti State governor is waging war against Islam. Fayose has murdered sleep and he shall sleep no more.”
The Muslim scholar also accused Fayose of not liking Islam. He claimed that the governor formed an all-Christian government after assumption of office in 2015.
Akintola said, “Muslims may be left with no option than to make Ekiti ungovernable for Fayose if he goes ahead to demolish those mosques. Freedom of worship is enshrined in Nigeria’s constitution and civil disobedience is the inalienable right of a persecuted people. We will resist this oppression if the system will do nothing about it.”
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )
Sanwo-Olu Blames Shooting Of Lekki Protesters On ‘Forces Beyond His Control’
Recall that military personnel had opened fire on protesters at Lekki tollgate shortly after 7 pm on Tuesday night leaving several people injured.
Reacting, Sanwo-Olu who visited the hospitals where victims were being treated after midnight said there are currently 10 patients at the General Hospital, 11 at Reddington, and 4 at Vedic, with mild to moderate levels of injuries.
He explained that 2 victims were receiving intensive medical care.
“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
“I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.
“It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.
“3 patients have been discharged & we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care.
“As the Governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the FG to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives of our residents,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu Reacts To Lekki Shooting; Visits Injured Victims In Hospitals
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos State, has reacted to the shooting of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate.
It was learnt that soldiers had opened fire on unarmed protesters in the area on Tuesday.
This came hours after the Lagos State Governor imposed a 24-hour curfew that started at 4pm.
Taking to social media, Sanwo-Olu posted a couple of pictures of himself visiting the victims of unfortunate incident.
The governor also ordered an immediate investigation into the shootings at Lekki.
He released a statement in which he referred to Tuesday evening as the toughest night of “our lives,” as he blamed the shooting on “forces beyond his control.”
Read his statement below:
“This may be the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make notes in our history, but we will face it.
As a Father and Governor, I watched in anguish the unacceptable event that occurred last night at the Lekki tollgate.
The decision to impose curfew was borne out of concern for innocent protesters and the entire citizenry of our dear state. It will be foolhardy for a leader to try to protect his citizens and still turn around to put their lives at risk.
However, this is not the time to trade blames. We will take it in our stride and move.
I paid a visit to all the victims of the unfortunate shooting incident at the various hospitals where they are being urgently attended to.
There are currently 10 patients at the General Hospital in Lagos Island, 11 at Reddington hospital and 4 at Vedic hospital with mild to moderate levels of injuries, while 2 are receiving intensive medical care. And 3 patients have been discharged.
I implored the attending doctors to give them the best care, while we cover all their medical bills.
We are working with the Federal Govt to harmonize and stabilize all security operations while prioritizing the lives of the residents we swore to protect and serve.
I would also be giving a statewide address in a few hours.
We will come out stronger.”
Read Also: Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
See his full post below:
Address Nigerians over #EndSARS protests – Senate urges Buhari
The Nigerian Senate has called on President Buhari to urgently address the nation so as to douse the tension in the country.
This comes as hoodlums continue to carry out various attacks on #EndSARS protesters and others in some parts of the country.
The Senators made the call for President Buhari to speak to the Nation after a motion was moved by Senator Biodun Olujimi and co-sponsored by all Senators on the ongoing nationwide protests believed to have been hijacked by hoodlums.
Part of the resolution of the Senators after deliberation include:
-Urge all tiers of government to put in place and sustain policies of social economic reforms that raise the standard of lives of our people;
-Call upon the Police to operate strictly in accordance with the rules of engagement appropriate in a democratic environment;
-Urge the Inspector General of Police to ensure a holistic comprehensive reforms of the police to increase the overall welfare including training and medical insurance of all members of the Nigeria Police Force
-Appeal to all Nigerians to resort to use of legal institutions to resolve disputes and conflicts;
-Urge the Nigerian youths and the Nigerian citizens to approach the National Assembly Committees Constitution and Reforms in order to secure far-reaching holistic amendments that are vital to the restructuring of our federation
-Urge the Federal Government to faithfully and comprehensively implement all the five demands of the #EndSARS movement and protesters with necessary timelines to rekindle confidence in government
-Appeal to #EndSARS movement and protesters to kindly in the interest of everyone stop their actions and embrace genuine dialogue; 7. Urge Mr. President to address the nation as soon as possible on these issues.
-Police should make it a duty to accompany protesters and should be involved in protecting genuine protesters.
- Entertainment19 hours ago
Regina Daniels Birthday: EVERYTHING You Need To Know
- Entertainment20 hours ago
‘My Landlady Chased Me Away And Started My Kind Of Business’ – Nkechi Blessing
- Politics23 hours ago
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
- Entertainment17 hours ago
#EndSARS: ‘It Hurts Knowing This Country Has Potential’ – Singer Tekno
- National News19 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
- News Feed20 hours ago
Pasuma Says He Was Not Chased Out Of #EndSARS Protest In Lagos (Video)
- News Feed22 hours ago
#EndSars: “I Was Paid N500 To Bring A Knife To The Protest Ground” – Man Confesses (VIDEO)
- National News24 hours ago
‘#EndSARS One Of The Most Successful Protest In Nigeria’: Lai Mohammed