Connect with us

National News

Court orders EFCC to retract allegation against Dasuki’s aide

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has been ordered by the Federal High Court in Abuja to retract the trial against Colonel Nicholas Ashinze, a former aide to a former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki, and seven others over an alleged N1.5bn fraud.

The court also accused the EFCC of wrongly referring to Ashinze as a retired military officer while he is, in fact, a serving officer in the Nigerian Army.

Justice Gabriel Kolawole, while presiding over the matter, said that the oral claim by the counsel to the EFCC, Mr. Ofem Uket, that the anti-graft agency had retracted the offending publication without providing evidence, was totally unacceptable.

Justice Kolawole had on March 21, 2017 warned the EFCC to stop media trial of Nigerians under investigation, ordering that the alleged N36bn fraud contained in its press statement issued by its spokesperson, Mr. Wilson Uwujare, be retracted.

The judge also ordered the news media involved in the alleged offending publication to appear before it and state why it should not be disciplined for misrepresenting the court’s proceedings.

At the resumed trial, Uket had informed Justice Kolawole that his client had already retracted the press statement as directed, urging for proceedings to continue.

But in a swift reaction, counsel to the accused, Mr. Ernest Nwoye, told the court to ignore Uket because his clients had yet to comply with the order.

In his ruling, Justice Kolawole said, “No responsible judge will sit down and allow his court to be rubbished as in the case of the EFCC that has been engaging in feeding the general public with falsehood.

“It is a fact that the defendants in criminal matter will be prejudiced when they are unjustly subjected to media trial through publication of falsehood and misrepresentation of the court’s proceeding.

“Since the court cannot act in vain, it is hereby ordered that the EFCC must show compliance in the appropriate way with the retraction of the offending press statement it issued out in respect of the proceeding of this court.”

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

National News

Rifle allegedly seized from drunk policeman (video)

Published

on

A drunk policeman identified as Garba Salisu is currently the talk of social media.

Passersby who saw a drunk police officer carrying a gun, seized the gun from him then poured water on him to help revive him.

In a video shared online, people are seen surrounding the police officers and commenting about the fact that he was inebriated already at that time of the day.

A man is seen pouring a sachet of water on the policeman’s head.

Voices in the video are heard saying the policeman was seen at about 4pm on Saturday, Nov 28, at CBN Junction, close to Abuja Police Command Headquarters.

Watch the video below:

Continue Reading

National News

Nurse who is HIV positive, reveals how she’s been keeping her husband safe from the virus

Published

on

A nurse who is HIV positive is currently making rounds on social media and has taken to social media and revealed how she’s been keeping her husband safe from the virus.

The South African lady identified as Angela Motsusi disclosed this in a recent post she made on her Facebook wall.

According to her, HIV patients who take their ARVs daily, attend all clinic appointments and do blood checks as scheduled are safe of have sex with a negative partner.

She wrote on Facebook, “Living testimonies of #UequalsU , it’s simple really, if you are HIV positive, take your ARVs daily and attend all your clinic appointments and do blood checks as scheduled, by taking your treatment everyday you will be virally suppressed and with a sustained, suppressed viral load you CANNOT sexually transmit HIV to your partner, I am positive and he is negative. #normalizinghivchallenge #uequalsusouthafrica”

Continue Reading

National News

Boko Haram: ‘Be Hurt In Your Pursuit Of Justice For The Dead’, Ezekwesili Tells Buhari

Published

on

Boko Haram: 'Be Hurt In Your Pursuit Of Justice For The Dead' Ezekwesili Tells Buhari

Former Nigeria’s minister of Education, Dr Obaigeli Ezekwesili

Former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to do more than being hurt in restoring peace in the nation.

She made this remark in reaction to President Buhari’s statement that he is hurt following the beheading of 43 farmers in Borno by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect on Saturday.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Attack By Boko Haram On Borno Farmers

Reacting to the gruesome murder, Ezekwesili urged the President not to be hurt rather pursue justice for victims of the insurgent group.

She wrote:

In another tweet, the former Minister of Education queried the whereabouts of security operatives during the whole attack. She wrote:

Continue Reading

Trending