Connect with us

National News

United Kingdom urges FG to rescue remaining Chibok girls

Published

on

The United Kingdom have challenged the Federal Government of Nigeria to spare continue to try harder in rescuing the remaining 195 Chibok schoolgirls in Boko Haram’s captivity.

The EU, in a statement marking the third anniversary of the criminal abduction of the 276 schoolgirls, on Thursday, in Abuja, tasked the government to free the girls and bring their abductors to justice.

The delegation regretted that most of the abducted girls remained unaccounted for, three years after they were forcefully taken away from their homes, families and loved ones.

It said, “The European Union delegation in Nigeria deeply regrets that most of the abducted girls remain unaccounted for three years after they were forcefully taken away from their homes, families and loved ones.

“We commend the Nigerian government and its international partners for the action that resulted in the release of 21 of the kidnapped girls last year, and for its stated commitment to ensure that the remaining girls are freed and reunited with their families.

“No effort should be spared to free the girls and bring their abductors to justice.”

The union observed that Nigeria had made significant progress over the last two years in combatting Boko Haram, but added that the group still remained a threat.

 The UK, in a joint statement by its Foreign Office Minister, Tobias Ellwood, and his international development counterpart, James Wharton, said their thoughts were with the girls and their families.

 They called for the release of those abducted by Boko Haram, stating that the UK was working with Nigeria in the fight against the insurgents.

 The ministers stressed that their country would not be deterred from supporting Nigeria to tackle violent extremism.

 The statement read, “Our thoughts are with the Chibok girls who remain missing, their families and all those abducted by Boko Haram. We are working side by side with Nigeria in the fight against Boko Haram and call for the release of all those who have been taken.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

ASUU Struggle Is Legitimate And Morally Right, Says Shehu Sani
Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has condemned the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos by soldiers.

A team of armed soldiers had stormed the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday evening– where a series of protests had held peacefully – and fired live bullets at a crowd of youths there.

Also Read: Sanwo-Olu Blames Shooting Of Lekki Protesters On ‘Forces Beyond His Control’

Reacting to the development, the former lawmaker in a series of tweets described the use of force against peaceful protesters as a desecration of Nigeria’s democracy and sacrilege against the constitution.

In another post, he expressed that Lekki will be known as a paradise drenched in the blood of protesters.

Continue Reading

National News

Reveal Soldiers Who Shot At Lekki #EndSARS Protesters, NBA Tells Military

Published

on

Reveal Soldiers Who Shot At Lekki #EndSARS Protesters, NBA Tells Military

Lekki Toll Gate protesters

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has condemned the shocking shooting of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos.

NBA President, Olumide Akpata, faulted the incident in a statement personally signed by him on Tuesday night.

This is coming following the shooting of protesters by military men in Lagos on Tuesday night following the curfew imposed by the Lagos State Government.

Also Read: Sanwo-Olu Blames Shooting Of Lekki Protesters On ‘Forces Beyond His Control’

“The Military High command is hereby requested to immediately identify and name the officers involved in this gross professional misconduct for immediate prosecution and dismissal in line with extant laws,” Akpata said.

He added, “The NBA shall immediately commence legal proceedings at all relevant fora – both locally and internationally – against the Nigerian Military and other relevant authorities, on behalf of the families of the victims, for abuse of power, disregard of rules of engagement and the infringement of the fundamental rights (including the right to life) of the affected citizens.”

Akpata explained that given the degenerating nature of the crisis, an emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee of the NBA would be convened within the next 48 hours.

Akpata stated that the aim of the meeting is to review the state of the nation and take other appropriate steps to decisively deal with the situation and prevent Nigeria from further going adrift.

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: You Won’t Escape – Fani-Kayode Tells Buhari, Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, Over Lekki Shootings

Published

on

#EndSWAT: Things Will Fall Apart – Fani-Kayode Warns Buhari Govt
End SARS: You Won’t Escape – Fani-Kayode Tells Buhari, Tinubu, Sanwo-Olu, Over Lekki Killings

Femi Fani-Kayode

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has reacted to the shooting of #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos State.

Fani-Kayode in his statement noted that people involved in the killing of Nigerians will not escape the punishment of God.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Ekiti state government declares 24-hour curfew

On Tuesday night, men of the Nigerian army opened fire at the protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, leaving many injured.

He wrote:

“For the blood that Buhari, Sanwo-Olu, Tinubu, and Osinbajo spilled in Lekki today there will be consequences.

“They will pay a heavy price. Lagos is my home. I was born there. I grew up there. These are my people. You will NEVER escape divine retribution, God’s vengeance, and God’s judgment.”

Continue Reading

Trending