Connect with us

National News

Parents of Queens College pupils accuses Ministry of Education over negligence

Published

on

Parents of Queen’s College have queried the silence of the Ministry of Education after the breakout of an epidemic in the school after three people were allegedly killed three pupils.

According to the parents, only the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, who had visited the school, the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, had not given the case the seriousness it deserved.

According to reports, a large number of the students were admitted to the school’s sickbay after eating spaghetti and drinking water suspected to have been polluted in the school’s refectory.

Two pupils–Vivian Osuiniyi and Bithia Itulua–who were in Junior Secondary School two and three respectively, reportedly died as a result of the epidemic.

The Minister of Health, Adewole, had led a team to the school and ordered an investigation into the incident, just as the former Principal of the school, Dr Lami Amodu, denied the incident, blaming the report on haters of the school.

Amodu was later transferred from the school.

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Jide Idris, after a few weeks, released a statement saying health records from the school’s sickbay indicated that a total of 1,222 pupils presented themselves at the school’s clinic on account of abdominal pain, fever, vomiting and diarrhoea.

The statement noted that 16 ill pupils were admitted to various hospitals. While nine had been discharged, two had been confirmed dead, one was still on admission at the Intensive Care Unit of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, and three in the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba.

Our correspondent, in a follow-up, reported that more pupils of the school had taken ill and were being admitted to different hospitals in the state.

On Friday, an orphan, identified as Praise Sodipo, a Senior Secondary School one pupil, died, bringing the number of deaths to three.

A parent told reporters on Sunday that the 14-year-old orphan was in the care of a guardian.

She said, “She was an orphan. At a point, there was nobody to pay her hospital bills and a group of us had to raise money for her treatment. Another parent, whose daughter was also admitted to the hospital at that time, coordinated the fundraising for the girl before she died.

“We are angry because despite all these, the Federal Ministry of Education is not investigating anything. We believe corruption is involved.

“If investigations start, a lot of questions will be raised about finances. If the former principal is questioned, heads will roll. We believe that was why she was quickly transferred to another school.”

Another parent, who claimed to have spent a lot of money on his daughter, said the school’s financial system might have been compromised.

He said, “Queen’s College has five vice principals– vice principal academic, senior school; vice principal administration; vice principal special duties; vice principal junior school; and vice principal student affairs.

“There is also the federal ministry of education inspectorate department, which should oversee whatever is happening in the school. But how things degenerated to the level of losing three girls without any of these officials knowing, beats my imagination.

“I am pained because although lives had been lost and some pupils are still sick, the ministry of education has not issued any statement.”

Another parent urged the Federal Government to step into the case and ensure the three girls did not die in vain.

The PTA Chairman of Queen’s College, Dr John Ofodike, said his administration only resumed in October, 2016, adding that  the school’s problem had been on for some time.

He called on the Federal Government to address the problems and probe the deaths of the three pupils.

He said, “We have set up a panel to look into the management of funds by the previous PTA administration.

“The PTA does not run the college; we are just playing supervisory and advisory roles.

“Since my administration came in, we have been using our personal money to support the school. There has been a long time decay of infrastructure in the college. We have been using our personal funds to run the college.

“And please, note that the proprietor of the school is the Federal Ministry of Education. Tell the Federal Government to probe the deaths. When the pupils were stooling and had diarrhoea, the PTA medical team played its part and left.”

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

National News

If Nigeria Doesn’t Restructure, It Will Break Up – Gani Adams

Published

on

If Nigeria Doesn’t Restructure, It Will Break Up - Gani Adams
If Nigeria Doesn’t Restructure, It Will Break up, Says Social Activist Gani Adams

Gani Adams

Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland and leader of the Oodua Peoples Congress (OPC), Gani Adams has expressed that Nigeria is on a verge of a break up except there is a restructuring of the country.

Speaking to Arise TV on Sunday, Gani Adams stated that there is a need to get to the root cause of the problems that led to the #EndSARS protests by Nigerian youths.

According to Adams, the youths have sacrificed a lot to push positive change in Nigeria.

“After they were attacked by the military on Tuesday, a lot has happened,” Adams continued, explaining that the realisation that Nigeria’s constituent units are too dependent on the federal government for security hit hard, with the Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu admitting he was not in charge of the situation.

Also Read: Fani-Kayode Condemns Video Asking Igbo Indigenes To Leave Yorubaland

“If we continue like this, the future of Nigeria is bleak,” he insisted. “That’s why I’ve clamoured for restructuring.”

Taling about the violence in different parts of Lagos in the past few days, Adams accused politicians of sponsoring the burning of the Orile police station in Lagos, stating that hoodlums attack across the state was carefully planned.

He stated that politicians orchestrated the violence so as to have an excuse to impose a 24-hour curfew in Lagos.

Continue Reading

National News

End SARS Protest, A Wake-Up Call To Nigerian Elite: Okorocha

Published

on

End SARS Protest, A Wake-Up Call To Nigerian Elite: Okorocha
End SARS Protest, A Wake-Up Call To Nigerian Elite: Okorocha

Rochas Okorocha

Former Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, has expressed that the #EndSARS protest is not targeted at the police alone but also a wake-up call to Nigerian elites.

He expressed that the protest is also aimed at ending bad governance, poverty, and joblessness in the country.

The former Imo State Governor made this known on Saturday while speaking with journalists in Abuja.

He called on political office holders to sacrifices part of their salaries and allowances to help the youths.

The lawmaker further stated that their lifestyles of politicians provoke Nigerians and it’s time to wake-up to their responsibilities.

Also Read: El-Rufai Imposes 24-hour Curfew On Seven Communities In Kaduna

“What started a few days ago as a peaceful protest escalated into violent one with many souls lost and properties burnt.

“This situation is very unfortunate and highly regrettable one. I want to sympathize with those that have lost their loved ones due to the protests.

“However, I want to say that this is a wake-up call by the youths of this country to the leaders of this nation.

“It is also a proof that we the elite have been selfish in handling the affairs of this country. There has been a track record of unfair leadership for a long time.

“The End SARS protest is not just targeted at police but a disappointment over economic issues in a nation where we have joblessness and poverty for the youths.

“Today, we have millions of out of school children in the country, and this is another time bomb for tomorrow.

“The government and leaders must rise to their responsibilities to ensure that such future occurrences do not happen again.”

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

Published

on

#EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew
#EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi

Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi has relaxed the 24-hour curfew imposed on the residents of the State.

Recall that the Governor had declared curfew in Enugu East, Enugu North, and Enugu South Local Government Areas of the state following an outbreak of violence in those areas.

However, following the return of relative calm and hardship being suffered by residents of the affected areas, the Governor adjusted the curfew.

Also Read: #ENDSARS: IGP Talks Tough, Says Enough Is Enough

This was announced in a statement issued by the State Commissioner for Information, Mr Chidi Aroh, on Saturday.

“In its place, a 13-hour curfew from 6 pm to 7 am daily, is imposed in Enugu East, Enugu North and Enugu South Local Government Areas, with effect from 6 pm on Sunday, 25th October 2020 until further notice.”

Continue Reading

Trending