Connect with us

News Feed

Uzodinma denies link with 30 rice containers seized by Customs

Published

on

The Chairman Senate Committee on Customs, Excise and Tariff, Senator Hope Uzodinma, on Tuesday, denied having any link with the 30 containers of rice seized by the Nigeria Customs Service.

Uzodinma said the letter he sent to the Comptroller General of the NCS, Col. Hameed Ali (retd.), which was published by an online news medium, SaharaReporters, was based on a petition by a firm, Masters Energy Commodities Trading Limited, to the committee.

The senator said this in an interview with journalists in Abuja on Tuesday.

In the letter dated November 17, 2016, Uzodinma urged Ali to use his “good office” to release the seized items 2017, which were allegedly imported rice declared at the port as yeast.

Body of the letter read, “The accompanying documents in respect of the above mentioned subject matter refers;

“We have gone through the documents as submitted and wish to suggest that you use your good office to look into the case of this company, Masters Energy Commodities Trading Limited. It is instructive from the circumstances and accompanying documents that the company from the inception of this transaction disclosed the content of the 30 containers as rice.

“The owner of these containers was probably short changed by their clearing agent. The declaration by the agents that the content of the containers was yeast may not be with the consent of the importer of the 30 containers of rice.

“May we therefore suggest that you take a second look at this case subject to your internal mechanism because the committee is of the opinion that it would be unjust to punish the owners of the 30 containers because of the sins of the agent. We suggest that the agents should rather be sanctioned to act as a deterrent to others.”

Uzodinma, however, said with the constitutional powers of the legislature, it could also attend to concerns of Nigerians, which the committee decided to do.

He said, “Sometime around November last year, the committee received a petition from Masters Masters Energy Commodities Trading Limited alleging that 30 containers of rice imported by them was seized by Nigeria Customs Service, even when they paid the necessary duties and the necessary assessments were done by the Customs; and that they needed our intervention.

“As representatives of the people, the committee met and, then, sent out the petition to Customs service, asking them to react to the petition. The Customs reacted through a letter sent to the committee on 25th November, 2016, confirming that this rice was imported and that the rice was seized because it was not declared according to the right classification.

“When I got that letter, to my surprise, the tone of the response was suggesting a kind of innuendo; as if our letter was for them to release the rice. No. What we wrote was very clear; you can see the copy of the letter. It said (Customs should) make comment; react to this comment, because every Nigerian citizen is entitled to fair hearing.

“When we got their reply, we looked at the response from the Nigerian Customs Service, signed by the comptroller General. We immediately resolved and did a letter thanking him for his quick response to our enquiry and also reminding him that the sole intention in the matter was that justice should be done in line with their extant rules.

“The decision neither suggested that I have any link or any relationship with the importer nor did we suggest to the Nigerian Customs Service to wave any procedure or any internal mechanism by them as to the treatment of issues like this.”

Source: Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

Lekki tollgate should be dismantled permanently: Bode George

Published

on

Lekki tollgates should be dismantled permanently: Bode George

Former vice-chairman of PDP SouthWest, Bode George has called for the dismantlement of tollgate at Lekki area of Lagos.

The PDP chieftain made this call at a press conference after soldiers were alleged to have shot and killed peaceful EndSARS protesters on October 20.

 

 

According to George, the dismantling of the tollgates would help in pacifying aggrieved Nigerian youths.

In his words;

“Let me reiterate the irreducible minimum acceptable to placate the angry and restless youths in order to restore peace, fairness and equity in our state.

The two tollgates should be dismantled immediately and permanently. AlphaBeta and Lekki Concession Company should be scrapped. The advert signage monopoly given to Seyi Tinubu should be withdrawn forthwith.

The Iya Oloja title should be withdrawn from Shade Tinubu and be given to the individual who deserves it according to tradition.

The NURTW which has become the militia wing of the APC should be re-organized and removed from the ambit and control of political actors.”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Nigeria Air Force arrest officers for flogging curfew violators in Osun

Published

on

The Nigerian Airforce has arrested its erring officers for flogging violators of the state-government imposed curfew in Osun State.

A video that went viral on social media shows Airforce personnel dehumanizing and assaulting residents that violated the curfew.

The video which made rounds on social media on Tuesday, October 27, showed the curfew defaulters inside muddy water while being flogged by the security agents.

But, in a statement released on Wednesday, the Nigeria Air Force said the officers have been arrested and an investigation has commenced.

 

The statement reads:

”The attention of Nigeria Air Force has been drawn to a video showing some personnel flogging/meting out corporal punishment on suspected hoodlums involved in criminal activities during the imposed curfew in Ilesha.

We wish to inform the general public that Nigeria Air Force has identified all the personnel involved in the incident & placed them on close arrest, while investigation to determine their level culpability has commenced, after which appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Kunle Afolayan flaunts interior of his exquisite mansion (Photos)

Published

on

Kunle Afolayan flaunts interior of his exquisite mansion (Photos)

Kunle Afolayan, a Nigerian filmmaker, has taken to social media to flaunt the interior of his expensive mansion.

Afolayan disclosed that calls for a full view of the interior of his house by young architect and art lovers made him share the photos on social media

The father of four added that “the structural designs was done by a professional architect but all interiors and esthetic done by me.”

Below are more photos.

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Kunle Afolayan shows off the interior of his home (photos)

Continue Reading

Trending