Terminal operators, under aegis of Seaport Terminal Operators Association of Nigeria (STOAN), have lauded the bold steps taken by the management of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), to address factors militating against efficient port operations.
STOAN, the umbrella body of operators, popularly known as concessionaires, said it supports the planned review of the concession agreement and other initiatives of the present management of the NPA.
The Spokesperson for STOAN, Bolaji Akinola, yesterday, said: “As the NPA has stated several times, the concession agreement is subject to intermittent reviews. This has also been the position of STOAN. The review will address unforeseen developments and challenges encountered in the system. We support it. We also support all the steps she has taken so far. We are on the same page as far as our ports are concerned. The abiding interest, which should, as a matter of fact, be the interest of every Nigerian, is making Nigerian ports the best in Africa and among the best in the world.”
The association also said it was working with the Hadiza Bala Usman-led NPA management, and other relevant agencies of the Federal Government, to address certain government policies, which are diverting cargoes away from Nigerian ports.
“We must commend Ms. Hadiza Bala Usman for taking time to tour and assess the ports upon assumption of office in order to appreciate the issues at hand. We are aware also that she has accessed the state of the port access roads and have promised to ensure that government fixes those roads as soon as possible. This is certainly highly commendable and it shows that the present government is a listening government.
“We are also aware of the meeting between her and the Comptroller-General of Customs to refine and simplify the cargo clearing system at the port. These are genuine efforts that must not pass unappreciated,” STOAN said.
The association appealed to the Federal Government to address the issue of high import duty on imported vehicles and the restriction of 41 items from the official foreign exchange window of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as part of measures to attract cargo to the port.
“The ban on importation of vehicles through the land borders will be more effective with a corresponding slash in the tariff of vehicles. The sure way to check smuggling is to accompany the ban with a slash in Customs duty to bring it to par with what obtains in the ports of Cotonou, and other ports in the sub-region,” it stated.
STOAN said since the ports were concessioned in 2006, significant progress had been made in ensuring prompt service delivery, quick turnaround time of vessels and improved welfare of dockworkers, among others.
“We assure the NPA MD and the Federal Government of our full support always in implementing the change agenda and bringing about the dividends of democracy to Nigerians,” the association added.
Lawmaker representing Ikorodu Constituency 1, Sanai Agunbiade aka SOB, has reacted to the invasion of his home in Ikorodu area of Lagos state.
The majority leader in the Lagos State House of Assembly said the looted covid-19 palliative were meant to be shared to 50 selected widows on his birthday.
Information Nigeria recalls that an irate mob invaded the lawmaker’s house, ransacking the lawmaker’s wardrobe and that of his wife and children, thus carting away with food items and personal belongings.
His statement reads:
The violent attack on my house: Thank you Ikorodu.
To God be the glory that the violent attack on my house on friday 23rd October, and the massive destruction of everything therein did not record any fatalities.
I got intelligence reports of the plan to exterminate me early enough, but I took it as unfounded rumours. Moreso, I was not ready to have security operatives around lest lives be lost. I trusted in God’s plan for my life.
But to those that masterminded and sponsored the carnage for nothing other than political vendetta, I say ‘thank you.’ We know ourselves in Ikorodu, but God reigns supreme. God will repay every hands involved in the attack in appropriate proportion.
I am happy to be alive to witness the 2020 anniversary of my birthday on Sunday 25th October. The plan of detractors to delete me before my bithday has failed. To God be the glory.
Let it be noted that at the peak of covid 19 pandemic, I personally distributed palliatives to my constituents more than three (3) times at my personal expense and recently, my team also shared palliatives to very indigent residents of Ikorodu. All these and many more of efforts aimed at taking care of my constituents are public knowledge as we have a way of ensuring open nomination of beneficiaries.
And for my bithday on 25th October 2020, I have sent out, through my Media Team, notice of my intention to give support to 50 widows who have already been nominated by different groups in a programme christianed Widows Mite for Widows and also distribute to some vulnerable and indigent individuals across the three local councils of my constituency, some palliative materials donated by the state and federal governments, as well as myself. Those are the materials stolen from my house yesterday. Alhamdullilah.
My service to Ikorodu since my teenage years up to this present time is already treasured by posterity and remain immutable. God knows I do not deserve the treatment meted on me by the perpetrators of this politically motivated attack and their sponsors, but I seek solace in God.
It is a truism that no one will attack the property of a mad man, but people of reckoning always suffer vilification. The barbaric event of friday is though shocking but like a dolphin which is happy even in the middle of giant waves and horrible storm, I am stable and my faith in the mercy and grace of God is very fat.
For certain the looters are not #Endsars protesters because the youth in Ikorodu engaged in very peaceful and well coordinated protest. The perpetrators of the attack on my house are group of assailants on a mission targeted at my life. They stole my certificates and travelling passports of my family. They emptied my wardrobe and that of my wife and went with other valuables…pure broad day robbery! But we thank God.
Nigerian politics is indeed very profitable! Ikorodu you have done well for me, I thank you.
For all of these, I thank God for the preservation of lives. I thank God for his infinite mercies and grace.
SOB will not go down, no matter how much they try because God is my armour. Whatever the situation, Ise Oluwa n tesiwaju insha Allah!
Watch videos of residents carting away the palliatives below:
Son of late 60’s civil rights leader, Martin Luther King III has joined other world leaders in lending their voice to the peaceful #EndSARS protest in Nigeria.
Martin Luther King III stated that Nigeria’s president Muhammadu Buhari should guarantee fundamental freedoms of peaceful protesters, adding that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
He made this known on Sunday, in a tweet he sent to Buhari on Twitter.
The American human rights advocate disclosed this in a statement on Twitter, where he also noted that “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
He wrote: “I appeal to @MBuhari to guarantee the fundamental freedoms of peaceful protesters in Nigeria, including their right to protest. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” -MLK, Jr. We must stand with those protesting to #ENDSARS.”
Nigerian journalist, Gbolahan Macjob has called for the trial and prosecution of Obianuju Catherine Udeh, professionally known as DJ Switch over alleged lies and fraudulent activities.
According to Macjob, DJ Switch lied and manipulated her live video capturing how peaceful EndARS protesters were shot and killed by men of the Nigerian army.
Information Nigeria recalls that DJ Switch, who was present at Lekki toll gate on the day of the incident, shared IG live feeds as she and others tried to save those with gunshot wounds.
While the Lagos state government insists only one person has been confirmed dead, DJ Switch in a video posted on her Instagram page on Friday, October 23, said she and others present during the attack, counted 15 bodies. She said the only thing she regrets now was that she and others carried the bodies and dumped at the feet of soldiers who carried them away.
In a post shared on his Facebook page, Gbolahan who works for BBC in the UK, called DJ Switch a fraud and added that she must be tried.
His post reads:
”DJ Switch is a fraud and her lies has caused a lot of destruction. She must be tried and prosecuted once the facts come out in the open. And let me assure you, she will not get asylum, regardless of her CNN interview. Nobody likes being manipulated or used. The intel is out there and her game will be up soon. You guys realise there’s something called satellite imagery bah? And you’ve heard of BBC Africa Eye ? have you not?
Okay we shall soon see how the dead bodies of the massacre were removed and why their family members are yet to come to demand their whereabouts. Lies kill more than guns.” he wrote