Connect with us

National News

The state of Hawaii set to file lawsuit against Trump

Published

on

The state of Hawaii has filed a lawsuit against President the U.S  Donald Trump’s new travel ban.

The lawsuit was filed in a federal court in Honolulu on Wednesday, National Public Radio reported.

In a statement, Hawaii Attorney-General Doug Chin called the new executive order “nothing more than Muslim Ban 2.0.”

Chin said: “under the pretense of national security, it still targets immigrants and refugees.

“It leaves the door open for even further restrictions. Our office is reviewing the new order and will decide what next steps may be necessary.”

The justice department so far has declined to comment on the lawsuit, according to reports.

Trump signed on Monday a fresh executive order halting new visas for people from six majority-Muslim countries and suspending refugee admissions for 120 days.

The new order, which takes effect March 16, bans tourist, immigration and most other entries to the U.S. from six countries for 90 days: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Iraq, which was included on the previous ban issued Jan. 27, is no longer on the list.

NAN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

Published

on

Court Okays Suit Compelling Emefiele To Account For COVID-19 Donations

CBN Governor – Godwin Emefiele

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, granted a suit, seeking to apply for judicial review and order of mandamus to compel the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, to provide details of financial donations received by the country in relation to the coronavirus pandemic.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the ruling in a suit filed by Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and Heda Resource Centre as 1st and 2nd applicants respectively.

Mandamus is a judicial writ issued as a command to an inferior court or ordering a person to perform a public or statutory duty.

Also Read: Nigeria’s Economy May Emerge From Recession In 2021 Q1, Says Emefiele

According to reports, the group, in an ex-parte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1456/2020, listed the CBN governor as sole respondent.

Ekwo also granted their plea to seek an order declaring that the failure of the CBN to provide the plaintiff with information on the sources of the donations, how they are being applied, among others, amounted to a violation of the applicant’s rights under the Freedom of Information Act and the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights.

He ordered the applicant to file, within seven days, a formal application for the orders sought, which must be served on the respondent within seven days.

The judge also ordered the respondent to, upon being served, file its response within 30 days.

Continue Reading

National News

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Published

on

Lawan Leads FG’s Delegation On Condolence Visit To Borno

Ahmad Lawan

Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, on Monday, led a federal government delegation to Borno State on a condolence visit following the killing of farmers on Saturday by members of the Boko Haram sect.

Members of the delegation include the Chief of Staff to the President, Professor Ibrahim Gambari, Ministers of the Federal Capital Territory, Mohammed Bello, Communications and Digital Economy, Ali Pantami, and the Minister of State for Agriculture, Mustapha Baba Shehuri.

Also Read: Boko Haram: ‘Be Hurt In Your Pursuit Of Justice For The Dead’, Ezekwesili Tells Buhari

Other members are the National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Monguno (rtd), and Senior Special Assistant( Media and Publicity) to the President, Mallam Garba Shehu.

The delegation was reportedly received on arrival at the Airport by the Borno State Deputy Governor, Usman Umar Gadafu.

The delegation is in Borno, on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari and the Federal Government, to commiserate and identify with the family of the victims, the Government, and the people of Borno State over the incident.

 

Continue Reading

National News

43 Farmers Killed By Boko Haram Didn’t Have Clearance To Farm — Buhari’s aide

Published

on

President Buhari's Spokesperson 'Blames' Farmers Murdered By Terrorists In Borno

Garba Shehu

Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity has disclosed that the farmers slaughtered by Boko Haram terrorists on Saturday didn’t have military clearance to be on the farm.

This he stated on Monday during an interview with the BBC where he spoke about the unfortunate incident in which terrorists on Saturday, mercilessly killed not less than 43 farmers in the Zabarmari area of Borno State, about 20km away from Maiduguri the state capital.

Shehu in a reaction to the sad incident noted that while most of the area has been liberated from the insurgents, the military needs to give clearance/approval before farmers can return to their farms or locals resettle in the area.

Also Read: Donald Duke: Security Operatives Selling Weapons To Boko Haram

He, however, pointed out that the farmers killed on Saturday didn’t have military clearance to be on the farms.

Asked if it was not a case of blaming the farmers for their own death, the presidential spokesperson said the victims are not been blamed but the truth must be said.

He added that before the people can return to such places, lots of military clearance needs to be done to make it habitable again for civilians.

Continue Reading

Trending