Connect with us

National News

French Man kidnapped in Chad

Published

on

Suspected Gun men have kidnapped a french man in Chad  in an area near the border with Sudan’s Darfur region early on Thursday, France’s foreign ministry said.

 Europe 1 radio said the man in his sixties had been working for a mining company and was seized carrying the staff’s wages, without giving its sources.

The man was kidnapped south of Abeche, a mining area about 800 km (500 miles) east of the capital N’Djamena, a French military source told Reuters.

There were no immediate reports of any group claiming responsibility or making demands in the area crossed by nomadic groups and rebels fighting the Sudanese government over the border in Darfur.

The last French national kidnapped in Chad was an aid worker taken in the eastern border area in 2009 and released nearly three months later inside Darfur.

“We confirm the kidnapping of one of our nationals in Chad,” a foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement. “We are mobilized and working with local Chadian authorities to secure the freedom of our compatriot.”

Chad, a landlocked former French colony, hosts the headquarters of France’s 4,000-strong regional anti-militant operation, known as Barkhane.

It closed its northern border with Libya in January to block militants fleeing the conflict there, and has said it is worried about Islamic State operating in its territory.

Around 1,000 French troops are stationed in Chad, including a small detachment at Abeche. About 1,500 other French nationals also live in the country.

Two other French nationals are being held in Africa – one kidnapped in Mali in December by Islamist militants, the other seized in the Democratic Republic of Congo earlier in March.

National News

End SARS: Masari Charges Judicial Panel To Fish Out Perpetrators Of Police Brutality

Published

on

#EndSARS: Masari Charge Judicial Panel To Fish Out Perpetrators Of SARS Brutality
#EndSARS: Masari Charge Judicial Panel To Fish Out Perpetrators Of SARS Brutality

Aminu Masari

Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Masari of Katsina State has urged the 11 men committee Judicial Panel to give recommendations going forward to end police brutality in the state.

He gave the charge during the inauguration at Government House Katsina on Saturday.

He also tasked them to come forward with general recommendations that will promote an endearing relationship between the Nigerian Police Force and the general public.

Read Also: #EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack

The panel of inquiry will be headed by Justice Abbas Abdullahi Bawale of the Katsina State High Court of Justice.

Other members of the Commission include Retired AIG Danlami Yar’adua, Alhaji Mustapha Ibrahim Zango, Alhaji Bello Musa Dankano, Professor Usman Dhun-nurain, Hajiya Rabi Mohammed, and Ibrahim Ahmad Katsina.

 

Continue Reading

National News

#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack

Published

on

#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack

TVC news Logo

Television Continental popularly known as TVC News is back on air after it was attacked by suspected hoodlums on Wednesday morning.

Recall that the host of popular ladies show ‘Your View’, Morayo Afolabi-Brown, had confirmed during the show on Wednesday that hoodlums had entered the premises of TVC.

The hoodlums had attacked the TV station a few hours after #EndSARS protesters were killed at the Lekki Toll Gate by soldiers on Tuesday night.

Also Read: End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew

There were speculations that the TV station was attacked because of its link to the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu.

Workers of the TV station were rescued by Men of the Police Rapid Response Squad who were in the compound to offer protection.

 

Continue Reading

National News

End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew

Published

on

#EndSARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
#EndSARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew

Okezie Ikpeazu

Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu has lifted the 24-hour curfew on two major cities in the state following the outbreak of violence when the #EndSARS protest was hijacked by hoodlums.

Recall that on Tuesday night,  Aba and Umuahia went under curfew in a statement by the Governor.

However, following the return of calm to the affected areas, Ikpeazu directed that the curfew in the State be relaxed to now take effect from 6 pm to 6 am from Sunday, 25th October 2020.

Also Read: Edo govt extends ultimatum for escaped inmates by one week

This was made known by the State Commissioner for Information, John Okiyi Kalu.

The Governor also directed all markets in the State to be reopened during the day, while Market committees should mobilize adequate security teams to watch over the markets at night and during the day.

Governor Ikpeazu further directed all commercial tricycle operators to henceforth vacate the roads during the curfew time of 6 pm-6 am daily.

Continue Reading

Trending