10 facts we can bet you didn’t know about the Ooni of Ife
1. He was born into a great royal family in the Ogboru house, Ilare, Ile-Ife.
3. He was the grandson of the Ooni Sijuwade Adelekan Olubuse I, the last Ooni of Ife that the Ogboru ruling house presented.
4. He studied at Abeokuta Grammar School and Oduduwa College in Ile-Ife.
6. Oba Sijuwade is the fiftieth traditional ruler in the Ife Kingdom.
7. The late Ooni of Ife enjoyed traveling, swimming, horse-riding, table-tennis and having intellectual discussions with small groups.
8. The Ooni was preparing to host family and friends for his son’s (Adegbite) upcoming wedding to TV presenter, Dolapo Oni before death snatched him away.
10. The Ooni has also been engaged in supremacy battle with the Alafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, over whose traditional stool is higher in Yoruba land. Both leaders however, closed ranks long ago for the sake of the region.
The late Ooni of Ife reportedly died on July 28th, 2015, after a brief illness at the ripe age of 85 years in a London hospital.