Connect with us

News Feed

Nigeria Paid N2.7tn For Darkness In 16yrs — Dogara

Published

on

Why You Should Buy YouTube Views Cheap

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, said on Tuesday that over N2.7tn of tax payers’ money spent on the power sector in the last 16 years only bought darkness to Nigerians.

Dogara noted that nothing had changed in the sector other than the fact that it continued to consume money but produced little positive results.

He observed that the privatisation of the sector had not fared better, a development Dogara said had put more pressure on both the Federal Government and other stakeholders to think of realistic steps to revamp electricity supply.

Dogara spoke in Abuja at the opening of a stakeholders’ dialogue on the ‘Nigerian Power Challenge: A Legislative Intervention’.

The session, which was facilitated by a power supply stakeholder, Surging Gold Limited, had, in attendance, the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki; the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola; and some key investors.

Dogara stated that Nigerians must again begin to ask questions as it would appear that every effort made to rescue the sector produced hiccups

He added, “Perhaps, the most important question is what happened to the N2.74tn spent on the sector from 1999 to 2015?

“Why is it that the more we spend on the power sector, the more darkness we attract?

“Why are most of the companies licensed by Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission not able to start their projects?”

Saraki pointedly said epileptic power supply in Nigeria was the “failure of governance.”

He stated, “Wherever we go in the world, the failure is on all of us, whether we are in the private sector or those of us in the public sector.”

The Senate President observed that privatisation was meant to be a solution, lamenting that generation companies and distribution companies were sold to persons who had no idea about how to run the sector.

Saraki called on all stakeholders to be sincere in finding sustainable solutions to the sector by thinking more of the general interest of Nigerians than selfish interest.

“We must be prepared to put Nigeria first and the government itself must be sincere with every decision that they have to take,” he added.

Fashola told the session that he could not agree less with Saraki and Dogara, but quickly added that there was no going back on privatisation.

The minister argued that what was needed to be done was to strengthen privatisation by putting the right structures in place to encourage the investors.

For instance, he said Gencos were battling huge liabilities, which had hindered their ability to pay for gas supplies to generate power.

The minister also made references to court cases slowing down developments in the power sector.

Speaking on the impact of vandalism on the sector, the minister added “almost 3,000 megawatts of power” had been “decommissioned” by vandalism.

On their part, the investors pointed out that the way out was for the government and regulators to support “cost-reflective tariff” and for consumers to pay the power already supplied.

The Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Mr. Tony Elumelu, for instance, said there was no way investors would continue to put in more money when they were owed over N50bn.

Elumelu claimed that the sector was over-regulated and was not given the same leverage the telecommunications sector enjoyed years back to begin their operations smoothly.

He stated, “The tariff has to be cost-reflective for the sector to work, especially we are not taking into account the rate of inflation and the exchange rate.

“The cost of gas is there and so much regulation is stifling the take off of privatisation. The sector must be allowed to flow freely, like the telecommunications sector did before tariffs began to crash years later.

“With debts of up to N50bn, it is unfair to expect that investors will perform miracles. The system must encourage them and we all must be sincere with ourselves.”

Source: Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

#EndSARS: People take time out to curse me in their prayers– Aisha Yesufu Reveals

Published

on

#EndSARS: People take time out to curse me in their prayers– Aisha Yesufu Reveals

Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu, has revealed that Muslims now take out time to curse her in their prayers.

Information Nigeria recalls that Yesufu lead #EndSARS campaign against police brutality and reforms.

 

The female activist disclosed this on her Twitter handle.

She wrote;

”Heard I am being cursed in mosques! People finish praying and take time out to curse me in their prayers I have asked they should please let me know how many of these curses they rained on me when I was making same demands during GEJ! We are all already cursed in Nigeria”

Continue Reading

News Feed

Hoodlums loot Ndoma-Egba house in Calabar, cart away his late father’s robes

Published

on

Hoodlums who destroyed and looted the residence of former leader of the Nigerian Senate, Victor Ndoma-Egba in Calabar reportedly carted away the Judge’s robes of the politicians’ father.

Reacting to the incidence, Ndoma-Egba appeared to the hoodlums to return the robes of his late father who was a judge.

 

Ben Ayade, governor of the state, had imposed a 24-hour curfew as part of measures to contain the situation but the mob broke loose.

In a statement, Ndoma-Egba narrated how he got intelligence on the attack but despite informing security agencies, “nothing was done to stop the attack”.

“At about 2 am (local time, as I was abroad) on Saturday 24th. October 2020 I received a text informing me that there were plans by arranged hoodlums to attack my residence in Calabar, that of Senator Gershom Bassey and a hotel owned by Senator John Owan Enor,” he said.

“I promptly forwarded the texts to Senators Bassey and Owan Enoh. I also called the security agencies in Calabar to apprise them of the information. Calabar from my information was already tense from the previous day’s break-in into warehouses storing COVID 19 palliatives and the subsequent breaching of shops and other businesses. The impending attack on Senators Bassey, Owan Enoh and I was already public knowledge as later that morning I got many calls to that effect.

“Thereafter I kept calling the security agencies by the hour when in spite of their assurances that they will secure my house there was no evidence of any security personnel in my vicinity. I understand, the times were indeed confounding for everybody.

“At about 2 pm the intruders broke into my house and looted it to the ground leaving only the bare floor. All the toilets, baths, pumps and indeed every imaginable fitting were removed as were items of furniture, clothing, a huge collection of mainly rare, out of print books, documents and historic photographs. They also removed all the windows, railings, family pictures and burglary proofs. Even my private chapel was not spared.

“They set the cars ablaze and parts of the building after more than four hours of interrupted operations in my house. It was methodical. Among the intruders were obviously electricians, plumbers, carpenters, motor mechanics, panel beaters and other tradesmen. Mercifully, no life was lost. I started building the house in 1991 and moved in in January, 2009.

“While not prejudging, and without prejudice to the work of the security agencies, I have forgiven the intruders, and pray fervently for them to find meaning, inner peace, and fulfilment in their lives. I only plead that they return my late father’s judges robes which they certainly would not be needed for anything and is surely incriminating.

“The destruction of my house was clearly premeditated, wanton and unjustifiable but I understand the anger in the land especially amongst our youths. However, if looting and burning my home will better their lives and bring positive change to our land, then it is a sacrifice my family and I gladly make.”

Ndoma-Egba said there is an urgent need to educate, motivate and engage the youth if they must be a blessing to the country.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Fan asks Kaisha to meet Erica for lessons on how to become a bad girl

Published

on

Fan asks Kaisha to meet Erica for lessons on how to become a bad girl

Nigerian entrepreneur Kaisha Umaru who shot to fame after she appeared on Big Brother Nigeria 2020 has replied a fan who advised her to meet Erica for lessons on how to become a bad girl.

Kaisha Umaru, the 25-year-old entrepreneur from Sokoto State had taken to Twitter to ask her fans how she can become a bad girl. The ex housemate stated that she needs lessons, and her fans suggested different ways for her.

However, a particular fan advised her to meet her fellow reality TV star, Erica Nlewedim who was disqualified from the last season of the Big Brother reality show.

“Ask Erica she’ll give you lessons on how to be a good and bad girl”, Kheeks wrote.

Check out Kaisha’s reaction below;

Continue Reading

Trending