Connect with us

National News

N-Power: FG To Employ 350,000 Graduates In 2017

Published

on

The Presidency said on Sunday that its Social Investment Programmes, SIP, had a plan to hire 350,000 more unemployed graduates under the N-Power Volunteer Corps in 2017.

According to the Senior Special Assistant on Media & Publicity to the Vice President, Laolu Akande, President Muhammadu Buhari has requested appropriation of N157.75 billion in the budget for the N-Power scheme.

He said that in addition to the 350,000 unemployed graduates to be hired and trained, 50,000 non-graduate youth would be engaged as artisans and in other creative ventures.

He said that from the allocation the administration had earmarked N4.5 billion for the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, (STEM) programme to support young Nigerians in building skills in those disciplines.

Mr. Akande, who welcomed the great public enthusiasm the SIP programmes had so far generated, urged Nigerians to expect more this year especially in the area of implementation.

“While we were able to engage 200,000 unemployed graduates last year, we will do 350,000 more this year,” he assured.

Mr. Akande disclosed that about N75 billion was earmarked for the National Homegrown School Feeding Programme to provide one meal a day to five million primary school pupils.

He said that in 2016 the feeding programme covered about one million pupils.

Mr. Akande said the Government Enterprise and Empowerment Programme aimed at providing interest-free loans to up to 1.2 million market men and women, traders, artisans, youths and farmers was allocated N112.2 billion.

He said: “2017 implementation of the SIP is going to be far more impactful than what we were able to do under the 2016 budget, so Nigerians should expect more this year.

“The resolve of the Buhari presidency is firm that more lives must be touched positively under these programmes which Nigerians have come to appreciate.”

He, therefore, urged Nigerians to actively take advantage of the different schemes this year.

Source: NAN

National News

Fake News Triggered #EndSARS Carnage – IGP

Published

on

Fake News Triggered #EndSARS Carnage – IGP

IGP Mohammed Adamu

Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu has expressed that the carnage that followed the #EndSARS protests across the country was triggered by fake news.

The IGP spoke on Thursday in Akure while addressing officers of the Ondo State Police Command as part of his tours of states affected by the #ENDSARS protest.

He maintained that those behind the protest were armed with the sinister motive to destabilize the government.

Also Read: #EndSARS: UK Parliament Does Not Speak For British Govt – FG

While urging the officers to return to work, Adamu pointed out that no nation could survive without policing even as he informed them that the Buhari administration has taken various steps to reform the Nigerian Police.

According to him, “The government has approved an extension of health scheme to retired police personnel. The police salary structure has been reviewed affecting all ranks.

“Your job is important. Without you coming out, there will be chaos and you are special.”

Continue Reading

National News

Buhari Will Set Nigeria On Fire If He Doesn’t Implement People’s Demands —Wike

Published

on

Buhari Will Set Nigeria On Fire If He Doesn’t Implement People’s Demands —Wike

Nyesom Wike

Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike has stated that President Muhammadu Buhari has an opportunity to address the demands of the people or put the country “on fire.”

He gave this warning on Thursday during his appearance on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily.

This is coming at a time when there have been serious calls for the restructuring of the country.

Also Read: NDDC Is A Cash Cow For Politicians – Nyesom Wike

“We must understand in this country that political leadership is very key, having the political will to implement what the people want is very serious.

“I don’t want to talk about the issue of distrust or no trust in government. People have raised such issues, that they don’t think that nothing will come out of all this dialogue. I don’t agree with that. I believe that if the president does not do, given the opportunities he has now, then, he will be putting Nigeria on fire.”

Continue Reading

National News

Former Lawmaker, Shehu Sani Accuses FG Of Using Huge Loans To Buy Substandard Chinese Railway Locomotives

Published

on

Former Lawmaker, Shehu Sani Accuse FG Of Using Huge Loans To Buy Substandard Chinese Railway Locomotives

Shehu Sani

Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has accused the Federal Government of taking huge loans to acquire substandard and refurbished trains.

The former lawmaker from Kaduna made this accusation on Thursday on his Twitter page while condemning the recent breakdown of the Kaduna-Abuja railway.

Also Read: Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown

The railway line was reported to have broken down between November 18 and November 20, exposing passengers on the journey to grave danger.

He expressed that for such to have happened, it means Nigeria paid for substandard or refurbished locomotives adding that the Chinese contractor in charge must be made to repair them at no cost to the government.

He wrote:

Continue Reading

Trending