Connect with us

Metro News

Taraba Govt Sacks 8 Directors Over Misconduct

Published

on

The Taraba Government on Monday said it had sacked eight directors over allegation bordering on misconduct, even as workers give strike notice.

Addressing newsmen on Monday in Jalingo, Alhaji Bello Yero and Mr Yakubu Agbaizo, Permanent Secretary, Bureau for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, and Executive Secretary, State Primary Education Board, respectively, said the development had caused delay in payment of salaries.

They told Journalists that the sacked officials were being responsible for the delay in the payment of salaries of some local government workers, teachers and pensioners in the state.

The officials however assured that government had taken measures to correct the situation.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Taraba State has a workforce of 16,500.

Workers in the state had issued a warning to the state government that they will embark on strike this Thursday, if their outstanding eight salary arrears were not paid.

They spoke at the maiden edition of “Face the Press’’ programme, an initiative of Mr Emmanuel Bello, Senior Special Assistant to Gov. Darius Ishaku on Public Affairs, to enhance interaction between government and the media.

Bello alleged that some directors of finance, clerks, cashiers and some officials in the local government councils, colluded with the 16 local government councils to short change junior workers.

“Following some discoveries, government embarked on biometric verification exercise to ascertain the actual number of staff on its payroll.

“Critical stakeholders including the organised labour were contacted and they have endorsed the exercise,’’Bello said.

According to him, when the exercise began, some directors of finance, clerks and cashiers who were benefiting from the system, began moves to frustrate the exercise including mobilising some staff to come to the bureau to protest.

“As we speak, many of those cleared by the exercise have been paid, those still complaining are those with BVN issues or different names on their documents which we are working hard to resolve,” he said.

According to Bello, the government has sacked eight directors so far over the matter while other necessary action will be taken to serve as a deterrent to others.

Also speaking, Agbaizo accused some education secretaries, directors of finance and other senior officials of the board of short changing primary school teachers in the state.

The secretary explained that over 1,200 teachers were illegally recruited before he assumed office in 2015, leading to an increase in wage bill of the board to over N734 million monthly.

“We are currently doing biometric exercise to ascertain the actual number of teachers.

“Those who were successfully screened and have collected their salaries, we are working hard to sort out those with BVN issues and address them,” he said.

According to him, some of them went as far as establishing ghost schools with ghost teachers in areas with difficult terrains.

Agbaizo expressed confidence that all the abnormalities would be corrected by the time the ongoing biometric exercise was completed.

The workers’ union is also demanding the removal of consultant on ground of gross incompetence in handling salary issues of the state.

NAN also reports that workers in the state had in 2016, embarked on a six week strike over the non-implementation of a new salary structure for workers.

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending