Connect with us

News Feed

Police loot community, torture farmer to death

Published

on

4

A 42-year-old farmer, Segun Elegbede, has died in the custody of policemen from the Magbon Police Division, Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Segun was tortured before being abducted by a team of policemen from the Anti-Robbery Squad of the state, who invaded Ajibawo village, in the Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area.

The policemen were alleged to have looted shops in the community after which they descended on the victim.

He was said to have been taken away to the division and prevented from seeing friends and family members.

Seven days after he was arrested, a member of his family was reportedly called on the telephone that he was dead and his corpse deposited in a morgue.

A hairdresser in Ajibawo, Modinat Akinola, said no one knew the reason for the attack which occurred on October 14, 2016, adding that her shop was among those looted by the policemen.

She said, “On that day, I saw about four policemen around 3pm; they came in a commercial bus. Suddenly they started shooting, and everybody fled.

“I tried to hide inside my shop with my two children. Other policemen later arrived in a patrol van. They broke into my shop and damaged my refrigerator and other electronics.

“They took away my phones, recharge cards, ATM cards, money, canned malt, tin milk and bottled drinks, among others. The value of everything is about N400,000. A man, who was sleeping in the house beside my shop, was attacked and taken away that day.”

Akinola said she later reported the incident at the Atan Ota Police Station.

The wife of the victim, Fatimoh Elegbede, said she was not around, adding that she was alerted to the attack around 5pm.

“When I got back to the community, everywhere was deserted. When I entered our house, I saw that it had been vandalised.

“When I got to Magbon Police Division, I was not allowed to see my husband; they kept asking me to exercise patience. After seven days, the police called my husband’s sister that she should come for his corpse,” she added.

The family lawyer, John Aina, described the incident as unfortunate, saying the police had refused to disclose where the corpse of the victim was deposited.

Aina, who had petitioned the Ogun State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Iliasu, said the police must investigate the death and bring the perpetrators to book.

He said, “The policemen, before leaving the village, arrested some okada (motorcycle) riders and took away their motorcycles. They were released a few days later. But the deceased, who was arrested while sleeping, was kept from seeing his family until he was declared dead.

“Why did the officers invade the village that day? Why was the deceased arrested? Why did the policemen loot shops in the area? Why was Mr. Segun Elegbede not charged to court promptly if he committed any crime? Why wasn’t he released on bail or allowed to see his family members? Where are the corpse and the autopsy report? The police authorities must investigate these issues. We will be taking appropriate legal actions against the police on the matter.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said he was not aware of the incident, promising to get back to our correspondent.

He had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

Source: Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Feed

I don’t mind being a second wife to a rich man: Nigerian Actress

Published

on

I don’t mind being a second wife to a rich man: Nigerian Actress

Ruth Eze, Nigerian actress has revealed that due to family pressure, she doesn’t mind to be a second wife to a rich man.

Eze made this known in an exclusive interview with Inside Nollywood.

She expressed that due to her mother’s pressure on her to marry, she wouldn’t mind being a second wife as long as the man is rich and agrees to a white wedding.

“My mother is on my neck to get married but I can’t afford to marry a poor man, truth be told. So, I have been calming my mum down. I told her if I don’t look well and rush into marriage, I might rush out before she knows it.

For now, I’m here waiting for true love and without money, love can’t be true and sweet. I also don’t mind being a second wife as long as he agrees we have a white wedding,” she said.

Continue Reading

National News

James Bond actor, Sean Connery dies at 90

Published

on

James Bond actor, Sean Connery dies at 90

Scottish actor, Sir Sean Connery, has died at the age of 90.

He was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

He was largely regarded as being the best actor to have played 007 in the long-running franchise, often being named as such in polls. His acting career spanned decades and his many awards including an Oscar, two Bafta awards and three Golden Globes.

Sir Sean’s other films included The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock.

Continue Reading

News Feed

Ned Nwoko, Laycon sign partnership deal (Photos)

Published

on

Ned Nwoko, Laycon sign partnership deal (Photos)

Ned Nwoko, actress Regina Daniels husband has signed new partnership deal with winner of BBNaija 2020 winner, Laycon.

Ned Nwoko in partnership with Laycon

Nwoko made this known on Friday, October 30, via the official Twitter handle of his foundation, the Prince Ned Nwoko Foundation.

Ned Nwoko in partnership with Laycon

Ned Nwoko invited Laycon to share his dream for his anti-malaria project and the rapper cum reality TV star pledged support to join hands with the billionaire in his fight against malaria in Africa.

Ned Nwoko in partnership with Laycon

Ned Nwoko’s foundation tweeted, “Prince_NedNwoko hosts @itslaycon and share his dream for @Ned_malaria with the winner of Big Brother Naija (Lockdown) who in return pledged his support to put an end to the scourge of malaria in Africa.”

Continue Reading

Trending