The National Legal Adviser of the All Progressives Congress, Muiz Banire (SAN), has denied media reports that he was grilled by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for making payment of N500,000 into a judge’s bank account.
The APC legal adviser clarified that he was neither arrested nor invited by the anti-graft commission, saying he voluntarily turned himself in to the EFCC to assist its investigation of the matter.
There were reports last week that Banire, a former lecturer at the University of Lagos and Senior Advocate of Nigeria was among senior lawyers quizzed by the EFCC for allegedly giving bribe to judges.
Following the arrest of some judges last month by operatives of the State Security Service, the EFCC had launched a massive investigation into allegations of bribery of judges by some senior lawyers.
During investigations, the EFCC reportedly stumbled upon a transfer of N500,000 by Mr. Banire into the bank account of James Agbadu-Fishim, a judge at the National Industrial Court.
Mr. Agbadu-Fishim was among the judges who reported to the Lagos office of the EFCC last month to write statements on the findings.
The reports further said the legal adviser to the governing party was grilled for over six hours over the questionable payment and his international passport confiscated by the EFCC.
But in a statement on Sunday, Mr. Banire denied ever giving bribe to Mr. Agbadu-Fishim or any judge for that matter.
“I did not give any bribe of the sum of N500,000 or any amount to any judge at any time whatsoever”, said Mr. Banire, a former commissioner in Lagos State.
“The person to whom I gave a gift of N500,000 in 2013 was a former colleague in the academia, a fellow lawyer whom I now understand to be a judge with whom I had lost physical contact for more than 17 years until probably three years ago when he solicited for my financial assistance towards his mother’s burial”.
He also pointed out that he had never appeared before Mr. Agbadu-Fishim either as a lawyer or a litigant, adding that he only ran into him on November 3 at the EFCC premises.
“I have never taken any benefit from the said recipient of my generosity and have never expected any in return”, Mr. Banire said.
“The occasion of the gift was purely customary for the purpose of assisting in the burial of his deceased mother.
“I must say this kind of assistance is not peculiar to this old colleague but that which is the nature of my usual disposition to all; colleagues, associations, students, clubs, religious bodies and humanity in general.
“I am a strong advocate of anti-corruption campaign and will never descend into the insanity of offering bribe to pervert the course of justice”.
Mr. Banire, was, however, silent on whether his travel documents were actually seized by the EFCC as widely reported in the media.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Omotola Apologizes For Her Insensitive Tweet About The Lekki Tollgate Shooting
- National News8 hours ago
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Ronke Oshodi Oke Cries Uncontrollably As She Regrets Campaigning For Buhari
- News Feed12 hours ago
Users can now mute WhatsApp chats forever
- National News10 hours ago
End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
- National News10 hours ago
Ben Ayade Declares 24-Hour Curfew In Cross River
- News Feed10 hours ago
Buhari has ordered probe into Lekki shootings: Minister
- News Feed12 hours ago
Whoever carted away the staff of the Oba and his shoe should please return it — Shedu Sani