Connect with us

Politics

Court Reject Ladoja’s Bid To Stop EFCC From Re-Opening Case Against Him

Published

on

Rasheed-Ladoja

The Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos, has rejected the stay on application of Senator Rashidi Ladoja, a former governor of Oyo state, to stall further proceedings on the N4.7 billion fraud case the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is seeking to re-open against him.

Justice Mohammed Idris adjourned the case to 14 December for the arraignment of the former governor. The former governor’s counsel, Mr. Bolaji Onilenla, argued that there is an appeal challenging the competence of the charge before the Supreme Court.

In his ruling, Justice Idris said an appeal before the Supreme Court cannot stall the proceedings of a criminal trial. He explained that the provision of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015 (ACJA) gives room for a trial to proceed even if there is an appeal before a higher court.

The judge also ruled against the applicant’s objection to the representation of Mr. Oluwafemi Olabisi,  a lawyer in Festus Keyamo’s Chambers.

In the application, Mr. Onilenla said only Mr. Festus Keyamo can represent the EFCC, as he was the one given a fiat by the Attorney-General of the Federation. But Justice Idris said the fiat was given to Festus Keyamo Chambers, not to Mr. Keyamo as a person. As such, he added, anyone from the chambers can represent the EFCC in court.

Only the EFCC can insist that it should strictly be Mr. Keyamo that represents it in court, he explained.

The commission had approached the court to seek warrant for the arrest of Ladoja, following his absence in court for his re-arraignment last Friday.

Mr. Onilenla, however, pleaded with the court not to issue a warrant for his client’s arrest, stating that his client was not properly informed.

Senator  Ladoja appeared before the court on Friday alongside his former aide, Chief Waheed Akanbi.

The duo were first arraigned in 2008 and had proceeded to appeal the competence of their charge up to the highest court.

The Supreme Court dismissed the appeal as lacking in competence. Ladoja filed an application to re-list the appeal at the Supreme Court on 27 October, 2016.

Politics

Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Published

on

Governor Ganduje
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Governor Ganduje

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.

According to reports, the Kano State Governor who had earlier suspended his media aide for condemning President Muhammadu Buhari over #EndSARS protests reinstated the aide without many details.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.

The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.

Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.

Continue Reading

Politics

Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Published

on

Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021

Governor Fayemi

Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has presented the proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year in the State.

The Governor on Monday presented a budget estimate of over N109 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.

Governor Fayemi, while presenting the budget at the State House of Assembly complex yesterday in Ado-Ekiti described the 2021 budget as “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration.”

Also Read: #EndSARS Protests Politically Motivated – Kogi Governor

The budget has a recurrent expenditure of N57, 997,898,982.62k while the capital expenditure has N51, 668,386,739.99k.

Fayemi, said the budget proposal presented contains the policy thrust, programmes, and vision of his administration for 2021, saying efforts shall be made to source the needed resources to fund the budget.

Continue Reading

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Trending