The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Babachir David, has received flaks from the House of Representatives committee investigating alleged diversion of funds and materials meant for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPS).
The committee said it was being frustrated by refusal of the SGF and other persons to appear before it and clarify some issues on the allegation.
The Committee on IDPs and the North-East Initiatives, mandated by the house to investigate the allegation, had invited Mr. Lawal to explain how his office spent about N12 billion allocated for the IDPs’ challenges.
The committee is also investigating the expenditure of N270 million by the Presidential Initiative on the North-East (PINE) “on just clearing of grass”.
Also being probed by house committee is the purported allocation of N188.69 million for Nigerian refugees living in Minawao, Republic of Cameroon.
Expressing disappointment with the attitude of the SGF towards the committee, its chairman, Sani Zorro, said “The SGF who was slated to have appeared hasn’t showed up.
“He did not write to intimate us on why his office would not come to explain why issues of internally displaced persons have remained un-encouraging, in spite of the billions of naira claimed to have been spent.
“The PINE officials said he’s at the villa.
“But, as the secretary to the government under whose office the rehabilitation of the North-East was placed, we had expected him to come to throw light on the financial expenses made by his office.
“We also expected him to explain the implementation framework being used to spend money.
“We have been inundated by reports of diversion of materials and funds meant for the rehabilitation of the IDPs, and the North-East and the scandal had led to international embarrassment for the country.
“Given the issues of credibility and integrity raised against the agency in charge of the North-East Initiative (PiNE) which falls under the SGF office, we had expected him to respect the invitation”.
However, testifying before the committee, the Executive Secretary in charge of the Presidential Initiative, Umar Gulani, provided some explanation.
He said the N270 million contract was for the removal of 250 kilometres of “invasive plant species along river channels and simplified village irrigation scheme (phase II) in Komadugu Basin in Yobe”.
In reaction, Mr. Zorro expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation, saying, “we are of the opinion that the expenditure of the magnitude you have made is not justified.
“It’s not acceptable that you would spend such a huge amount of money on the clearing of weeds while 2.5 million internally displaced victims of terror go hungry.
“They have no shelter and medical care”.
The committee, therefore, demanded further details from PINE, to be submitted to it without delay.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Omotola Apologizes For Her Insensitive Tweet About The Lekki Tollgate Shooting
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Ronke Oshodi Oke Cries Uncontrollably As She Regrets Campaigning For Buhari
- National News7 hours ago
#EndSARS: TVC Back On Air — Four Days After Mob Attack
- News Feed11 hours ago
Users can now mute WhatsApp chats forever
- National News10 hours ago
Ben Ayade Declares 24-Hour Curfew In Cross River
- National News9 hours ago
End SARS Protest: Abia Govt Relaxes Curfew
- News Feed10 hours ago
Buhari has ordered probe into Lekki shootings: Minister
- News Feed11 hours ago
Whoever carted away the staff of the Oba and his shoe should please return it — Shedu Sani