Mr. Olusegun Abraham, the runner-up in the governorship primary conducted by the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ondo State, has vowed to continue the struggle to upturn the declaration of Rotimi Akeredolu as the candidate of the party in the Nov. 26 governorship election.
Mr. Abraham, who spoke through his media aide, Sayo Aluko, on Sunday, also denied reports that he collapsed his political structure in support of the candidate of the Alliance for Democracy, Olusola Oke.
He argued that he was the authentic winner of the September 3 primary Ondo APC primary, given the number of valid votes credited to him and the fact that the election was fraught with malpractice.
He also vowed not to defect to any other party, but would remain within the APC to reclaim his mandate.
The governorship aspirant, however, pleaded with his supporters to exercise restraint and not take law into their hands in a bid to redress the injustice against them in the governorship primary.
“I use this opportunity to reassure my teeming and esteemed supporters that our mandate is alive, and as long as we keep calling for justice to be done, we shall reclaim this mandate and bring practical governance to the benefit of the Ondo people and the pride of our great party”, Mr. Abraham said.
There were reports that Messrs. Abraham and Ajayi Boroffice, another APC governorship aspirant, had collapsed their political structures to support Mr. Oke, who was second runner-up in the primary but later defected to AD to actualize his ambition.
According to Mr. Abraham, the rumour is “blatantly false” and “lacks commonsense and credibility”.
“Contrary to what Olusola Oke is saying all over Ondo at the moment, I have not collapsed my structure for anybody, talk less someone who is no longer a member of my party and someone who I am far popular than”, he said.
“In as much as I am not surprised at this usual level of desperation from the Oke people, I am disappointed at the extent of falsehood being peddled.
“If he is indeed popular, why get so desperate to use my name under a false pretence to deceive the people and gain popularity?”
“Even, anybody with a politically sound mind will know that such move has no iota of truth in it.
“My candidacy enjoys greater popularity and acceptance compared to Olusola Oke’s and all the other aspirants, both by valid delegates’ votes and by the show of massive public goodwill recently typified by the overwhelming solidarity rally staged by the people of Ondo for my candidacy on Tuesday, the 4th of October, 2016.
“So, how can I then undermine this much faith put in me, both politically and publicly, by collapsing my structure for a less popular individual? It doesn’t fit commonsense and surely lacks credibility”.
He called on his supporters in the party and the state to disregard the rumour, while urging them to remain resilient and focused on the quest to save the party from destruction.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News16 hours ago
How Jailbreaks In Edo, Ondo Happened
- Special Reports19 hours ago
Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
- National News19 hours ago
#EndSARS: Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change – Northern Governors
- News Feed19 hours ago
“Our mumu don do” – Man blasts Garba Adamu for asking Northerners to ignore #EndSARS because Buhari is their brother
- Entertainment13 hours ago
#EndSARS: Kiddwaya Appreciates Celebrities, Says They Are Heroes
- Entertainment16 hours ago
‘Anyone Making Jokes About Running Away From Nigeria Is Stupid’ – Runtown
- National News19 hours ago
Tell Nigerians Who Ordered Lekki shootings, Osundare Urges Buhari
- Entertainment13 hours ago
Get Your PVCs Ready, Davido Charges Nigerians