Connect with us

Politics

Court Dismisses Saraki’s Appeal Against CCT

Published

on

sarakii

The Senate President, Bukola Saraki’s appeal to challenge his trial by the Code of Conduct Tribunal on charges of assets declaration breaches has been dismissed by the Court of Appeal after it granted jurisdiction to the CCT to carry on with the trial.

All the four other members of the panel unanimously agreed with the lead judgment delivered by Justice Abdul Aboki on Thursday to affirm the CCT’s jurisdiction to try the senate president.

In affirming the earlier ruling of the Danladi Umar-led CCT that affirmed the tribunal’s jurisdiction, Justice Aboki held among others that contrary to Saraki’s contention, the Attorney-General of the Federation had the power to institute charges against him before the CCT.

The appeal court also held that under the Constitution, the Code of Conduct wa‎s not under any obligation to invite the appellant to enable him to make a written admission of breaches in his asset declaration forms before charges could be initiated against him.

It held that the tribunal had rightly departed from its earlier decision exonerating a former Governor of Lagos State and National Leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu‎ on account that he was not invited by the CCB to confront him with the allegations leveled against him.

The court also held that the fact that the charges were initiated 13‎ years after the offenses were allegedly committed was immaterial.

Justice Aboki described the contention as sentimental which the court had been enjoined not to delve into.

This was the second time the appeal court would be delivering judgment on the same subject matter of jurisdiction of the CCT to try the Senate President.

The Court of Appeal had last year ruled against Saraki on the jurisdiction of the CCT and asked him to proceed to face the 16 counts preferred against him.

The judgment of the appeal court was validated by the Supreme Court in February.

Politics

Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory

Published

on

Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory
Ondo Election: Jegede Files Petition Against Akeredolu’s Victory

Eyitayo Jegede

Eyitayo Jegede, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the October 10, 2020, governorship election of Ondo State, has challenged the victory of Governor Rotimi Akeredolu in the exercise.

Jegede, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, filed a petition at the election petition tribunal sitting in Akure on Friday.

The PDP candidate has also joined the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the All Progressives Congress, and the deputy governor-elect, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, in the petition.

Also Read: Ondo Guber: INEC Presents Certificate Of Return To Akeredolu, Deputy

Jegede is challenging the election on four grounds including “That the election was marred by irregularities and pockets of violence and intimidation”.

He also faulted the emergence of Governor Akeredolu as the candidate of the APC during its governorship primary election held on the 20th of July 2020.

Continue Reading

Politics

AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Published

on

Bode George
AlphaBeta’s Collection Of $19m Monthly Revenue In Lagos Sacrilegious, Says Bode George

Bode George

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic  Party (PDP) Chief Bode George has described the collection of internally generated revenue in Lagos state by a private firm called AlphaBeta, which earns around N7.5bn ($19 million) monthly as sacrilegious.

The former National Port Authority (NPA) called on the state government to block all forms of revenue leakages.

He made this known while speaking on Arise TV on Friday morning.

Also Read: BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

“There are so many leakages in the Lagos State Government purse. Take this AlphaBeta; who owns this AlphaBeta? What is the essence of the AlphaBeta? Where else in the world would you have an Inland Revenue Service, who have their own staff who are supposed to go out and collect the fees, but you have an independent company to be supposedly collecting the internally generated revenue from our state?

“It grosses around N50bn (about $130m) a month and you know how much that company (AlphaBeta) is paid 15% of it, that’s N7.5bn in thirty days going to the company, that is a leakage, that is sacrilegious.”

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Published

on

Governor Ganduje
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari

Governor Ganduje

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.

According to reports, the Kano State Governor who had earlier suspended his media aide for condemning President Muhammadu Buhari over #EndSARS protests reinstated the aide without many details.

Also Read: Wike Signs Executive Order Proscribing IPOB, Lifts Curfew

Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.

The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.

Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.

Continue Reading

Trending