Connect with us

Education

Recession: Sokoto Withdraws 39 Students From UAE

Published

on

Governor Aminu Tambuwal

Sokoto State Government has given approval for the transfer back home of its 39 students currently studying in various schools in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.

Governor Aminu Tambuwal made this known on Friday in Sokoto when he received the report of the committee instituted to advise government on the issue.

According to the governor, the move is expected to save the state government over N500 million.

He said that government’s action signalled a change of priorities in the payment of scholarships to indigent students to study abroad.

“The transfer/relocation of the students was necessitated by the need to conserve funds and apply same to more critical areas in the education sector,” Tambuwal said.

He said that admission had been secured for all the students in Nigerian schools as he added that arrangements had been concluded to ensure that none of them miss a grade level upon their return home.

“As at the time we sent the children to Dubai to study last year, the state government was spending over N400 million per annum to maintain them there.

“The last administration had good intentions when it sent them to Dubai to further their studies.

“But the current financial situation of the state can no longer allow us to continue with this burden.

“We explained to the parents and guardians of the students that as at today, Sokoto state government spends over N500 million to maintain 17,000 of its citizens on scholarship in various schools in Nigeria,” he said.

Tambuwal said that to pay N400 million for 39 students in Dubai was weighing heavily on the scarce resources of the state.

The governor thanked the students and parents for their understanding.

 

Education

WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week

Published

on

WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week
WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week

WAEC

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has given an update on releasing the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) result.

The Council early on Wednesday morning announced that the result would be released next week.

Also Read: WAEC Releases 2020 WASSCE Timetable

The results were supposed to be out today but the examination body said the postponement was due to the violence and arson in the country which affected some of its offices and some of its operations nationwide.

The examination body stated that the exact date for the result will be announced soon.

See the post below:

 

Continue Reading

Education

Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

Published

on

Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

ASUU Chairman, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), says the ongoing ASUU strike will only be called off when the government is ready to conduct an integrity test on the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

In an interview with The PUNCH, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President, said the federal government needed to give the clearance to National Information Technology Development Agency to conduct an integrity test on UTAS.

Speaking with PUNCH, the ASUU President said: “The integrity test will be handled by NITDA, it is government that will facilitate it because NITDA is a government, agency and unless you get clearance from the government that test cannot be conducted.”

Also Read: ASUU strike is boosting #EndSARS protest — Chris Ngige

Professor Ogunyemi while speaking on whether the government had accepted UTAS, said, “We are still talking, we have given them the position of our members, we are thinking we should be able to hold a meeting this week if they have not changed plans. The meeting for Monday was postponed. In principle, they have accepted UTAS and told us to go for the test, and on our part, we have started the process.

Speaking further, the ASUU President also explained that ASUU was ready to resume academic activities if the government was ready to play its part.

“Our members are ready to resume work as early as government is ready to play its part. I’m sure you are not suggesting that our members should resume on empty stomach or the strike should be suspended without any concrete action on the side of the government. We don’t like to stay away from our work because we like our students, they are also our children.

“As far as we are concerned, we don’t have issue with going back to work, but we want more sincerity on the side of government. We have not seen enough reasons to believe that they don’t mean what they are telling us but as soon as we see any sign to that effect. we will tell Nigerians,” Ogunyemi opined.

 

Continue Reading

Education

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

Published

on

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

NECO

The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.

This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.

“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.

Continue Reading

Trending