The Nigerian Army has expressed optimism that the Government Secondary School (GSS), Chibok, in Borno State will re-open for academic activities in September.
The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu, who made this assumption on Saturday while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri, said this was based on progress of its reconstruction.
He said president Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Army to take over the supervision of the reconstruction.
“The school has become a national monument of a sort following the April 14, 2014 abduction of about 217 girls by terrorists at the institution.
“There was actually a presidential order asking army engineers to take over the reconstruction of the school, which led to the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), giving directives for us to move in”, Brig.-Gen Ezugwu said.
“We are trying to rebuild the entire structures by supervising contractors on site.
“Our target is that we shall be able to get some buildings ready before the commencement of the next academic session so that the school will be able to pick up again because of the total destruction its suffered in the hands of terrorists,” he added.
However, the Army chief expressed happiness over the progress of Command Day Secondary School, saying the school is one of the ways of thanking the Nigerian army for their outstanding activities in the fight against insurgents.
“The one that gladdens my heart most is the Command Day Secondary School, Auno
“The State Government is renovating the buildings of the former Government Secondary School (GSS) Auno, for the take off of the Command Day Secondary School.
“It is one of the efforts to appreciate what the army has done for the state.
“I was there with the Commissioner of Education to see things for myself and going by the level of work done, the school will begin operation in September”, he said.
Brig.-Gen Ezugwu added that it would be a good opportunity for the Nigerian Army to have its education corps to teach the students who are the future generals, doctors and professors.
WAEC To Release 2020 SSSCE Results Next Week
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has given an update on releasing the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) result.
The Council early on Wednesday morning announced that the result would be released next week.
Also Read: WAEC Releases 2020 WASSCE Timetable
The results were supposed to be out today but the examination body said the postponement was due to the violence and arson in the country which affected some of its offices and some of its operations nationwide.
The examination body stated that the exact date for the result will be announced soon.
See the post below:
WASSCE SC 2020 Results Release Date: Dear candidates, the Council had planned to release the results today in fulfillment of our Project 45 but due to the curfew imposed last week, it had to be postponed till next week. The exact date will be made known soon.
— WAEC NIGERIA (@waecnigeria) October 27, 2020
Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), says the ongoing ASUU strike will only be called off when the government is ready to conduct an integrity test on the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).
In an interview with The PUNCH, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President, said the federal government needed to give the clearance to National Information Technology Development Agency to conduct an integrity test on UTAS.
Speaking with PUNCH, the ASUU President said: “The integrity test will be handled by NITDA, it is government that will facilitate it because NITDA is a government, agency and unless you get clearance from the government that test cannot be conducted.”
Professor Ogunyemi while speaking on whether the government had accepted UTAS, said, “We are still talking, we have given them the position of our members, we are thinking we should be able to hold a meeting this week if they have not changed plans. The meeting for Monday was postponed. In principle, they have accepted UTAS and told us to go for the test, and on our part, we have started the process.
Speaking further, the ASUU President also explained that ASUU was ready to resume academic activities if the government was ready to play its part.
“Our members are ready to resume work as early as government is ready to play its part. I’m sure you are not suggesting that our members should resume on empty stomach or the strike should be suspended without any concrete action on the side of the government. We don’t like to stay away from our work because we like our students, they are also our children.
“As far as we are concerned, we don’t have issue with going back to work, but we want more sincerity on the side of government. We have not seen enough reasons to believe that they don’t mean what they are telling us but as soon as we see any sign to that effect. we will tell Nigerians,” Ogunyemi opined.
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.
This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.
Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew
The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.
“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.
- National News19 hours ago
#EndSARS: Lagos Govt Invited Us To Restore Order – Army
- National News18 hours ago
Lekki Shooting: ‘Sanwo-Olu Has Been Thrown Under The Bus By Military’ – Fani-Kayode
- News Feed17 hours ago
Court strikes out homosexuality charges against crossdresser James Brown (Video)
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Bobrisky Flaunts His Newly Acquired iPhone 12 Pro (Photo)
- National News15 hours ago
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
- Entertainment15 hours ago
“I Can’t Remember The Last Time I Had Sex” – Davido Confesses
- National News18 hours ago
Social Media Will Destroy Us If We Don’t Regulate It: Lai Mohammed
- Entertainment16 hours ago
Omoni Oboli, Husband Celebrate 20th Wedding Anniversary