Leading mobile telecommunications service provider, MTN Nigeria, yesterday announced the first installment payment of N30bn to the Federal Government, in compliance to the terms of settlement agreed upon by both parties early this month.
The payment of N30billion is in addition to the N50billion earlier paid by MTN Nigeria as a sign of “good faith”, bringing the total fine paid so far by the company to N80 billion out of N330bn fine.
The telecom firm has up to 2019 to pay the remaining N250bn, according to the agreement with the government.
It would be recalled that the federal government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, slammed a record N1.4trillion fine on MTN Nigeria in October, 2015 for regulatory infraction.
However, following high-level talks, the fine was reduced to N330bn by the government on June 10, 2016.
SEE ALSO: MTN Agrees To Pay NCC Fine
In a statement yesterday by its CEO, Ferdi Moolman, MTN Nigeria expressed delight that the fine imbroglio was amicably settled in the interest of all the parties concerned.
“I am pleased to announce that the first payment of N30 billion in the terms of settlement has already been disbursed to the NCC. In addition to the earlier payment of N50 billion which we paid in good faith and without prejudice on February 24, this means we have now paid a total of N80 billion”, Mr. Moolman said.
Meanwhile, the company also confirmed that the NCC has issued the 2.6GHz license to it for a ten-year period after paying N18.96 billion to the regulator.
The NCC had earlier declared MTN as winner of the auction for the 2.6GHz band, which guarantees superior performance for wireless networks, especially 4G LTE services.
The regulator said the bid by the telecom company was in full compliance with the relevant provisions of the Information Memorandum (IM) for the exercise in which MTN emerged as sole approved bidder.
The NCC has described this spectrum as a significant trigger for a broadband revolution that will unlock benefits such as greater coverage, access, affordability and innovation, with the customer at the centre of these gains.
In reaction, Moolman said “We are very pleased with this development at this time, which is a further step in the right direction for Nigeria. Indeed, MTN is fully aligned and supports the NCC’s objective to deliver broadband services to present and future generations of subscribers, in line with the National Broadband Plan of 2013.
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.
The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.
Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.
The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”
Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun!
My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer in sha Allah. May Allah forgive & be Merciful to her.
— Isa Ali Pantami, PhD (@DrIsaPantami) November 23, 2020
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.
The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.
The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.
Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.
He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.
Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims
Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.
According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.
The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.
He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.
- Politics4 hours ago
BREAKING: Senator Abbo Dumps PDP; Joins APC
- Politics23 hours ago
Umahi Sacks Tertiary Institution’s Boards Headed By Ex-Minister, Ambassador
- News Feed4 hours ago
Lai Mohammed reacts to second report on Lekki tollgate shooting
- News Feed20 hours ago
COVID-19 vaccine: US embassy celebrates Nigerian doctor Ogbuagu
- News Feed20 hours ago
BBC Names Aisha Yesufu As One Of 100 Most Influential Women In The World
- Entertainment5 hours ago
Socialite Pretty Mike And His 6 Pregnant Babymamas Make It To The Wendy Williams Show
- National News22 hours ago
Buhari Commissions Oil Refinery To Process 5,000 Barrels A Day
- National News8 hours ago
Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action