Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday stormed the residence of detained former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode in Abuja, where they conducted a search of the residence.
The ex-minister is in custody for allegedly receiving N840 million out of the N2.5billion illegally withdrawn from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and paid into the accounts of six chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Goodluck Support Group (GSG).
The funds were reportedly pumped into the re-election campaign of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan in last year’s general election.
Mr. Fani-Kayode denied any wrongdoing, saying he did not know the source of the funds was from the CBN and that it was used judiciously by the Media and Publicity Directorate of the PDP Presidential Campaign Organization, which he headed.
Although there was no official confirmation of the search on the residence of the detained former minister, it was learnt that the development followed intelligence reports on some of the issues emerging from Fani-Kayode’s interrogation.
Raising the alarm on the search by the EFCC operatives, the Special Assistant on Media to the ex-minister, Mr. Jude Ndukwe, said it was conducted without any warrant.
In a statement yesterday, Ndukwe said: “Earlier today, the EFCC invaded the residence of Chief Femi Fani-Kayode even when he was still in their custody.
“What miffed us most was their mode of operation which was forceful, provocative and dangerous as they wielded their guns with needless threats.
”The worst is that the invasion was without a warrant as they forced their way in, and after terrifying all the staff at home, including the infant, they whisked the laundry man away even though he was later released.
“This is the fourth time the EFCC operatives would be invading Chief Fani-Kayode’s residence in just under a week.
“We condemn this act of executive lawlessness, harassment and intimidation. Chief Femi Fani-Kayode has served this country even at the highest levels and he deserves some courtesy.
“We call on the EFCC to endeavour to carry out their functions within the ambit of our laws and stop brazenly betraying the fact that Chief Fani-Kayode is under persecution. The world is watching!”
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News10 hours ago
How Jailbreaks In Edo, Ondo Happened
- Special Reports13 hours ago
Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
- National News14 hours ago
#EndSARS: Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change – Northern Governors
- Entertainment11 hours ago
‘Anyone Making Jokes About Running Away From Nigeria Is Stupid’ – Runtown
- Entertainment8 hours ago
#EndSARS: Kiddwaya Appreciates Celebrities, Says They Are Heroes
- National News14 hours ago
Tell Nigerians Who Ordered Lekki shootings, Osundare Urges Buhari
- News Feed14 hours ago
“Our mumu don do” – Man blasts Garba Adamu for asking Northerners to ignore #EndSARS because Buhari is their brother
- National News13 hours ago
#EndSARS: Reno Omokri Slams Buhari Over National Broadcast