The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has denied a claim that the health of a former Special Assistant to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on Domestic Affairs, Dr. Waripamowei Dudafa, is failing in detention.
The commission said suspects arrested in connection with alleged corruption prefer its detention facility to prison custody.
The EFCC is probing the former presidential aide for his alleged role in the withdrawal of $47 million and €5.6 million (N10 billion) from the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Mr. Dudafa reportedly handled the cash, which he later allegedly distributed to delegates that took part in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP’s presidential primary election on November 27, 2014.
The former domestic aide to Mr. Jonathan, who went underground when the EFCC launched investigations into the campaign funding of the PDP, was eventually arrested at the Lagos Airport on April 18 by the Department of State Services, DSS, and taken into custody.
However, a spokesman for Dudafa’s family, Engr. Thomas Akpoebi, on Monday issued a statement alleging that the detainee’s health had deteriorated in the last two weeks in EFCC custody.
The statement also dismissed as false, a report that the anti-graft agency had released Dudafa.
The statement said: “We members of the Dudafa family are frightened at the level of deliberate neglect and abandonment Dr. Waripamowei Dudafa has been subjected in the EFCC custody since his incarceration about 50 days ago.
“This is the first time we are constrained to say something to the world since the arrest and detention of our brother and this is deliberate in order for the law to take its full circle despite the media trial that has been orchestrated.
“We are particularly disturbed that the EFCC told a national daily on Wednesday last week that Dudafa had been released.
“This is far from the truth and an attempt to mislead the public in order to endanger our brother’s life in their custody. This is a despotic way of fighting corruption”.
The Head of Media and Publicity of EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, however dismissed the claim.
He said: “The commission will not be distracted by any false alarm regarding the health condition of any suspect as all suspects in the custody of the EFCC have access to the best available medical care.
“All inmates also have access to their lawyers and family members at the designated visiting hours.
“The quality of care in the EFCC holding facility is the reason why accused persons regularly plead in court to be remanded in EFCC custody”.
Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)
Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.
This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.
Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.
Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured
Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.
However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.
After Governor @jidesanwoolu said the "soldiers shot in the air to disperse the peaceful protesters." And thar their's no fatalities
Lagos youths set Governor's Mother's House on FIRE!! #PRAYFORNIGERIA#EndSARS #Lekkitollgate #LekkiGenocide #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeraNOW pic.twitter.com/QaOvSHwXdk
— Nwachukwu John Owen (@johnowen99) October 21, 2020
#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)
Hoodlums have reportedly invaded the headquarters of popular news station, TVC, believed to be owned by National Leader of APC, Bola Tinubu.
According to reports, the staff of the news station are being trapped in the building located in Lagos.
The moment Morayo and Co decided to leave the station after it had been taken over by hoodlums.
— My Opinion (@Diji_O) October 21, 2020
Videos circulating online shows that properties in the compound have also been set ablaze.
The news station is currently off air and this comes hours after Nigerians accused the Lagos politician of having a hand in the #LekkiMassacre.
Information Nigeria recalls security agents had opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.
In a video circulating online, the anchors of one of the shows, ‘Your View’ were heard saying that there were hoodlums at their gate trying to break into the premises.
Watch the video clips below:
— Itz CakeByTolex (@tolulope_salako) October 21, 2020
— POSTNAIJA (@POSTNAIJA) October 21, 2020
— Angry mob attacks TVC , set the station on fire.. pic.twitter.com/xEDpLeWkpW
— VyrãlTreñdz (@TheVyralTrendz) October 21, 2020
‘Hoodlums’ have reportedly invaded news station, TVC and are attacking their people. pic.twitter.com/h90bWoL37o
— Pulse Nigeria (@PulseNigeria247) October 21, 2020
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.
As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.
While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.
- Politics21 hours ago
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
- Entertainment24 hours ago
‘Our Hearts Are Broken But Our Spirits Will Never Die’ – Banky W Condemns Lekki Massacre
- National News23 hours ago
Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate
- News Feed21 hours ago
More Than 120,000 People Signed Petition For The UK Government To Sanction Buhari’s Government Over Human Right Abuse
- National News23 hours ago
Hillary Clinton Calls On Buhari To Stop Killing #EndSARS Protesters
- Trending22 hours ago
#EndSARS: Dino Melaye Laments Over Shooting Of Protesters In Lekki
- News Feed18 hours ago
UN Secretary General, Antonio Guterres Reacts To Police Brutality In Nigeria
- Entertainment24 hours ago
#EndSARS: “I Am Heartbroken To See Senseless Brutality Taking Place In Nigeria” – Beyoncé