The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has raised the alarm over the illegal use of the name its chairman, Ibrahim Magu, by unidentified individuals to extort money from the public.
A statement from its Head of Media and Publicity, Wilson Uwujaren, said it had come to the notice of the commission that some persons claiming to have Mr. Magu’s permission were asking people for payments to secure the release of suspects under investigation.
“Some unsuspecting members of the public have fallen victim of this scam and made huge payments to this syndicate,” Mr. Uwujaren said.
“The commission warns the public to be wary of the activities of these fraudulent individuals who have no relationship whatsoever with Mr. Magu and the EFCC.”
He said the EFCC chairman had not mandated anybody to collect money from individuals and or organisations on his behalf.
“I have not mandated anybody to collect money on my behalf from any person or organisation. It is not in my character to do so otherwise I will not be in this office. I am contented with what I am paid at the end of the month,” the EFCC spokesperson quoted Mr. Magu as saying.
He called on members of the public, especially relatives and friends of persons under investigation by the commission, to quickly report any person who approaches them with a proposal to collect bribe on Mr. Magu’s behalf for the release of their loved ones, to the commission.
“Anyone caught trying to tarnish my hard earned reputation and integrity must be prepared to face the music. I have accounts in three banks and, on no account should anybody make lodgements into any of my accounts without my knowledge,” Mr. Uwujaren quoted the EFCC boss to have said.
He noted that there had been an increase in the activities of the scammers who sent messages to members of the public across the country, conveying the commission’s purported readiness to “play ball,” after a reasonable settlement is arranged.
It said the commission was resolute to carry out its duties guided only by the fear of God, the overriding interest of Nigeria and the rule of law; without any resort to monetary rewards.
The commission therefore, advised the public to report calls from suspected scammers and forward the callers’ numbers to the EFCC via firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
The commission, he said could also be reached on the following hotlines: 09-9044571, 09-9044572, 09-9044573.
Governor Seyi Makinde walks around the streets of Ibadan to pacify residents
Nigerian Businessman, Politician and Philanthropist Seyi Makinde who is the governor of Oyo State is currently the talk of social media
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State was seen walking around the streets of Ibadan on Wednesday October 21, trying to reassure and pacify citizens due to the nationwide chaos prompted by the endsars protest.
In the footage recorded by an onlooker, Makinde could be seen surrounded by his security entourage as he walked up to the protesters who cheered as he waved at them.
Watch the video below;
— Akpraise (@AkpraiseMedia) October 21, 2020
I Submitted My Resignation To Delta State SSG And Refunded N100K Paid Allowance -Harrison Gwamnishu
Nigerian social justice advocate, Harrison Gwamnishu said he just submitted his resignation letter to the Delta State Government.
The advocate a.ka as The Director-General Behind Bars who was appointed to be part of the panel of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality.
He tendered his resignation following the massacre of the lives of innocent protest at Lekki-Toll Gate area in Lagos.
Also, he refunded the allowance paid to him by the government.
Read his tweet below;
Today, I submitted my resignation to DELTA STATE SSG.
N100,000 Sitting allowance paid on Monday 19th October, 2020 returned to the SSG.
If killing us will stop the harrassment, extra judicial killings and extortion by Nigeria Police and other Security Agencies in Nigeria, pic.twitter.com/062aGvnS9o
— Harrison Gwamnishu (Behind Bars)🇳🇬🇺🇸 (@HarrisonBbi18) October 21, 2020
Part of Oriental hotel destroyed by mob (video)
A section of Oriental hotel in Lekki, Lagos state has been destroyed by a mob, in the aftermath of the Lekki massacre.
There have been ongoing protests in Nigeria over two weeks with citizens agitating for the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, over flagrant disregard of their human right.
However, that took a grief-stricken turn in Lekki, Lagos state on Tuesday night as defenseless protesters were gunned down by soldiers, following an alleged order by the Lagos state government to security forces to crackdown on defaulters of a hastily imposed restriction.
The shooting led to the death of several people as many were also injured.
Security operatives had stormed the scene of the protest after the Lagos Government announced a 24-hour curfew and opened fire, with the intent to kill many people.
As many turned up to social media to share the Live video clips of the tragic incident, many people could be seen with various degrees of injuries. The scale of the damage could not be ascertained.
In the aftermath, more violent protests emerged across the country, leading to mass destructions of properties.
- Entertainment12 hours ago
‘Our Hearts Are Broken But Our Spirits Will Never Die’ – Banky W Condemns Lekki Massacre
- Politics9 hours ago
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
- National News11 hours ago
Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate
- News Feed9 hours ago
More Than 120,000 People Signed Petition For The UK Government To Sanction Buhari’s Government Over Human Right Abuse
- National News11 hours ago
Hillary Clinton Calls On Buhari To Stop Killing #EndSARS Protesters
- National News12 hours ago
‘Nigerian Government is a shame to the world for deploying soldiers to kill unarmed citizens – Odion Ighalo
- National News11 hours ago
Sanwo-Olu Blames Shooting Of Lekki Protesters On ‘Forces Beyond His Control’
- Entertainment11 hours ago
”The Whole Government Should Step Down” – Burna Boy Reacts To Shooting Of Peaceful Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate