Its the World Health Day today, April 7th and the theme of this year’s World Health Day is “Halt the rise: defeat diabetes”. To mark the occasion, the World Health Organization has released its first ever global report on diabetes, which are quite frightening. According to WHO, 422 million people were affected in 2014. However, there are simple things one could do to lower becoming diabetic. INFORMATION NIGERIA has highlighted them in this piece including other health facts…
1. To lower the risk of diabetes: Stay active and walk 10,000 steps every day, avoid eating processed food, cut back on sugar simple carbs such as refined flour, maintain a healthy weight, lose belly fat, get six to seven hours of sleep daily and get blood sugar levels tested at the age of 30 if your immediate family (mother, father, brother or sister) have diabetes.
2. According to a survey published last year and based on life expectancy and health risk facts, the healthiest country in the world is Singapore, however, a survey three years earlier had rated Singapore the most unhealthy country in the world based on economic and ecological factors.
3. Excess meat consumption is bad for the planet, for our health, and for the well-being of animals.
4. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it feeds your body and mind with the necessary nutrients and energy to function throughout the day. Eating breakfast regularly will also help keep weight off because it gets your metabolism going.
5. According to the World Health Organisation, WHO the lives of many children’s lives who die could be saved if they had access to simple and affordable interventions such as exclusive breastfeeding, inexpensive vaccines and medication, clean water and sanitation. WHO is working with governments and partners worldwide to deliver integrated, effective care and strengthen health systems, both of which are crucial to saving children’s lives.
6. Cardiovascular diseases are the leading causes of death in the world. Around 3 in 10 deaths globally are caused by cardiovascular diseases – diseases of the heart and blood vessels that can cause heart attacks and stroke. At least 80% of premature deaths from cardiovascular diseases could be prevented through a healthy diet, regular physical activity and avoiding the use of tobacco.
7. Almost 10% of the world’s adult population has diabetes, measured by elevated fasting blood glucose (≥126 mg/dl). People with diabetes have increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Deaths due to diabetes have been increasing since the year 2000, reaching 1.5 million deaths in 2012.
8. Road traffic injuries are projected to rise as vehicle ownership increases due to economic growth in developing countries. Strong action to improve road-use policies and enforce road-safety laws is needed to avert this rise in injuries and deaths.
9. Eating sugar causes diabetes: You get diabetes when your body cannot produce enough insulin to control blood sugar levels. Staying inactive and being overweight as you grow older puts you at risk of getting diabetes.
10. Eating egg yolk leads to high cholesterol levels: It is true that egg yolks contain cholesterol, but they also provide your day’s requirement of selenium, folate and and Vitamin B12. So if your cholesterol levels are under control, eating egg yolks a few times a week is perfectly all right.
11. Drink water only if you are thirsty: Sipping water through the day is a better idea than waiting until you are thirsty.
12. With diabetes being the theme for World Health Day this year, eat food like Millets, which are very good source of protein, resistant starch, vitamins and minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. They are rich in anti-oxidants too, Fish: They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acid which helps keep cholesterol and triglycerides in check. The omega-3 also helps the body fight against oxidative damage caused due to free radicals, Beans which are rich in fibre and protein, and also provide satiety and help control hunger pangs, Sweet potato: It is a good source of fibre. It also contains vitamin A and C which helps in enhancing the body’s immunity and reduce your sugar intake.
Don’t ignore your health, like they say early detection is key to survival, ensure to do regular medical check ups, exercise and eat right!!!
Atiku Reacts To Killing Of 43 Borno Farmers By Boko Haram
This is coming following the beheading of 43 farmers in Zabarmari, less than 20 km from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital by suspected Boko Haram members.
Reacting in a post on his Twitter page, Atiku expressed sadness over the tragic incident, describing it as heartbreaking.
The former presidential candidate condoled with families of the slain farmers in Borno State.
“Heartbreaking. Words fail me. The lives of our citizens should be worth much more than this. The rejig of the nation’s security architecture is long overdue. May their souls rest in peace and may their families be comforted.”
Heartbreaking. Words fail me. The lives of our citizens should be worth much more than this. The rejig of the nation's security architecture is long overdue. May their souls rest in peace and may their families be comforted.https://t.co/e3V0vRVdFT
— Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) November 28, 2020
Shehu Sani Condemns Attack By Boko Haram On Borno Farmers
Former lawmaker, Senator Shehu Sani has condemned the gruesome killing of 43 Borno farmers by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect.
The former lawmaker who reacted via a statement on his Twitter account lamented that Nigeria has continued to bleed in the hands of the evil ones.
“The reported massacre of over 40 farmers by insurgents in Borno state earlier today is condemnable. This is recurring news for some, but a horrible tragedy for the children, wives, and loved ones they left behind. Every dawn of a new day, our nation bleeds in the hands of evil.”
The reported massacre of over 40 farmers by insurgents in Borno state earlier today is condemnable.This is a recurring news for some,but a horrible tragedy for the children,wives and loved ones they left behind .Every dawn of a new day,our nation bleeds in the hands of evil.
— Senator Shehu Sani (@ShehuSani) November 28, 2020
TECNO Stormed Computer Village with BBNaija’s OZO to Wrap up its Black Friday Sales Activities
The month of November is always known for its intense sales activities because the best deals of the year come
during the Black Friday Period. For TECNO, Africa Number One mobile brand, it was the time to reward its
customers with massive discounts and various gift items while also unveiling some of its new devices.
The brand in collaboration with SLOT stormed computer village as part of the events to wrap up its black Friday
sale activities, hosted BBNaija’s Ozoemena Chukwu to a hangout at SLOT Ikeja.
Fans and customers had a fun time interacting with the handsome celebrity while enjoying discount offers on
TECNO devices. Different deals and gift items were up for grabs as customers who made purchases at the store
enjoyed 50% discounts on Spark 5, Camon 16 Series and 100% cashback on the Spark 5 Pro.
The major highlight of the event was the presentation prizes to lucky winners. Customers who participated in
the spin the wheel game won gifts items such as Bluetooth Speaker; Power Bank and kettle while those who
participated in the Scratch and Win Promo won for themselves different deals ranging from 50% to 100%
TECNO also introduced two latest devices-the Spark GO 2020-powered by Google Android 10 Go Edition and a
TECNO POVA. POVA means ‘Powering Optimal Value and Ambitions’ is a rebrand of the popular battery series
formerly known as Pouvoir was inspired by the zeal to deliver budget-friendly smartphones with superior
The first of its kind 6.8-inch TECNO POVA, is powered by Mediatek Helio G80 octa-core processor and hyper-
engine game technology that transforms gameplay experience giving ultimate stability and a high refresh rate.
Additionally, users will benefit from the “Game Space,” “Game Mode,” and “Game Assistant 2.0” features,
allowing them to switch to the “do not disturb” function, a much-anticipated experience all gamers will
The TECNO POVA is also equipped with a power-packed multitasking effect ramped up by 6GB RAM and 128GB
of internal memory. The device also has a 6000mAh super big battery, 18W Dual IC Flash charger, a standby
time of 30 days and the ability to play music for 8 days straight, on just a single charge. It’s the perfect
smartphone offering a way to worry less about low battery.
The new devices are available for purchase this November and for the rest of November, customers will enjoy
amazing discounts, instant and mega prizes on TECNO devices.
- Entertainment24 hours ago
‘It Made Me Understand That I Wasn’t Respected’ – Reekado Banks Finally Speaks On Wizkid’s Insult
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Entertainment: Top 5 Trending Stories Of The Week
- Entertainment5 hours ago
‘I Don’t Believe In Sleeping Around To Make Money’ – Actress Destiny Etiko
- Football9 hours ago
Diego Maradona: Biography And Facts (Video)
- News Feed20 hours ago
Man plays video game in the hospital while his wife is in labour
- News Feed20 hours ago
I have become restless, lost my appetite after mocking street hawker – Motara
- National News9 hours ago
Buhari Mourns As Boko Haram Kills Over 40 Farmers In Borno
- News Feed20 hours ago
Don Jazzy reveals why he likes wearing big robes