Connect with us

Politics

Why I Insisted On Appearing In Court Despite Ill-Health – Metuh

Published

on

Olisa MetuhThe National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Chief Olisa Metuh, yesterday said he appeared in court for the continuation of his trial to avoid his bail being revoked.
Our correspondent reported that Metuh was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the National Hospital, Abuja, after collapsing during the PDP Zonal Congress on Tuesday April 26.
Speaking to newsmen after Justice Okon Abang adjourned the case following his ill-health, Metuh said he insisted to be in court despite doctors’ advice because he knows he is still on bail.
According to him, “If I am not here, my bail conditions may be revoked and I don’t want that; but I have been here for three hours and we haven’t started. That’s why my lawyers asked for an adjournment”.
“The doctor did not want to release me, but I insisted”, said the PDP spokesman.
Mr. Metuh said he looks forward to defending himself against the seven-count charge of fraud leveled against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
He is standing trial along with his company, Destra Investment Ltd, which he allegedly used to receive a questionable payment of N400 million arms fund from the Office of the former National Security Adviser, ONSA, Sambo Dasuki.
“The truth is that in the course of this case a lot of things have been said and a lot of insinuations. I can’t wait to defend the accusations”, Metuh told reporters at the court premises.
“There are a lot of things the public don’t know yet and I need to let them to know”, he added.
The trial judge adjourned the matter till May 17 and 18 to allow the first defendant attend to his health.

Politics

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP

Published

on

National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over 'Disappointing, Empty' Speech – PDP

Muhammadu Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has blasted President Muhammadu Buhari over his nationwide broadcast over the ongoing #EndSARS protest rocking the country.

Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.

He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Also Read: President Muhammadu Buhari’s speech – Full text

Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.

The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

Published

on

PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria

PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the killing of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate, Lagos.

This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.

Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Condemns Shooting Of #EndSARS Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate

“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.

“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.

“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Published

on

Gov Yahaya Bello
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari

Governor Bello

The Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello has declared his intention to lead the #EndSARS protest against police brutality ongoing nationwide.

He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.

Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.

Also Read: Fayemi Names Members Of Judicial Panel On Human Rights Violations By Police

He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.

The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.

He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.

https://twitter.com/jeffreyetuss/status/1318273749565739011?s=19

Continue Reading

Trending