Connect with us

Metro News

Igbos Didn’t Declare War On Nigeria In 1967, Ndigbo In North Replies Presidency

Published

on

Igbo elders-Buhari

Ndigbo in the 19 northern states and the Federal Capital Territory have told the Presidency that the Igbos did not declare war on Nigeria in 1967.

They were reacting to the assertion by the Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina that the old eastern region declared war against the Nigerian state in 1967, which led to the civil war.

Mr. Adesina had on Friday, April 1, 2016 on an Africa Independent Television (AIT) programme, while responding to questions on why Mr. Buhari refused to negotiate with pro-Biafra agitators, said “Ndigbo in 1967, in the name of Biafra, declared war against the Nigerian nation seeking for secession and over two million people died”.

In the same programme, the presidential spokesman had faulted those criticizing President Buhari for not visiting Agatu in Benue State to sympathize with victims of the alleged Fulani herdsmen massacre, saying his principal’s position on the tragic incident had been made known, hence, he did not have to undertake an on-the-spot assessment of the crisis area.

Reacting to Adesina’s defence of Buhari on the two issues, Ndigbo in the 19 northern states and FCT under the aegis of Igbo Delegates Assembly (IDA), described the presidential spokesman’s comments as “careless, irresponsible and lacked the touch of intelligence”.

The IDA General Secretary, Comrade Austin Ofokansi Ifedinezi, made this known in a statement yesterday.

Ifedinezi said: “The truth that must be told is that Ndigbo never declared war against Nigeria. Ndigbo never asked for secession. Ndigbo were summarily invaded, killed, maimed, their lives, property destroyed and desecrated by the then Nigerian troops. Where did the war take place outside Igboland? Somebody should be gracious and honest to tell me.

“The continued conspiracy, propaganda, neglect, hatred and marginalisation of Ndigbo by the likes of Femi Adesina is at the perils of the growth of Nigeria and can never dampen the highly spirited Ndigbo but rather encourage them the more against the intentions and negative plots of their haters. Ndigbo are blessings wherever you find them and are very much available to do the exploits for the economic and social growth of the environment.

“Ndigbo never asked for secession, rather we were on self-defence of our dear lives and property in the Eastern Region from 1967 to 1970, as the only alternative/option left. As students of history, we know those who met in Kaduna shortly before the July 29, 1967 coup and unanimously decided to secede”.

“Gen. Yakubu Gowon was heading to the media to declare the secession of the North but for the intervention and counsel of the British government that that option was not viable and would be suicidal. This was why it took three days, to adjust (29/07/67 to 01/08/67) for Gowon to assume office as the Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria”, he said.

Metro News

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Published

on

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Boko Haram

Nigeria has been ranked as the third most terrorized country in the world according to a 2020 report by the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

The report which was released on Wednesday, ranked Nigeria third only behind war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to the GTI report, Nigeria witnessed an increase in Boko Haram attacks in the period under review, witnessing her worst terrorist attack in 2019 in northeastern Borno State, where at least 70 people were killed and 10 others wounded when insurgents attacked at a funeral.

Also Read: Presidency Clears Air On N150,000 Monthly Payment To Repentant Boko Haram Members

“Over the past year, Boko Haram increased attacks on military targets, with deaths rising from 26 in 2018 to 148 in 2019,” the report said.

However, the report recognized that terror-related incidents in the country fell by 27% in the same period due to a significant reduction in violence attributed to killer herdsmen.

“This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 percent lower than at
their peak in 2014.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Trending