Connect with us

World news

Flights Resume At Brussels Airport After Terror Attacks

Published

on

br

A passenger flight headed for Faro, Portugal, took off from Brussels Airport on Sunday, the first passenger flight to depart from the airport 12 days after suicide bombings killed more than 30 people in the Belgian capital. According to the airport’s website, flights to Turin and Athens were also due to take off later in the day, with a longer list of departing flights scheduled for Monday.

The three flights were a test run for a European aviation hub that used to handle 600 flights a day and plans to slowly climb back to normal capacity. Security at the airport was tight with new check-in procedures for passengers in temporary structures. Arnaud Feist, the CEO of Brussels Airport, said that Belgium’s biggest airport would gradually climb to 20 percent of capacity in the coming days, able to process 800 passengers an hour – maximum capacity for the temporary structures. The airport has been closed since March 22, after suicide bombings hit the airport’s departure hall and a Brussels subway train, killing 32 people and wounding 270.

Feist said at a Saturday news conference that the three flights were a “sign of hope” following “the darkest days in the history of aviation in Belgium”. On Sunday, he thanked employees for their courage, solidarity and the “impressive work carried out in so little time”. “We are more than an airport … We are a family more bound together than ever,” he said at a ceremony at the airport. The attacks, in which three suicide bombers also died, were claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group.

Alajzeera.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending