The immediate past Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, on Tuesday failed to honour a scheduled appearance before the State House of Assembly which summoned him two weeks ago to explain how Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) funds were spent during his tenure.
The lawmakers accused Fayemi, who was governor of the state between 2010 and 2014 of diverting N852.9 million UBEC funds, an allegation he vehemently denied.
Fayemi, who is Minister of Solid Minerals Development, wrote the lawmakers explaining that he could not appear before them as requested due to what he called “prior scheduled state engagements”.
The Speaker, Kola Oluwawole, who spoke with reporters after a special sitting held in honour of a deceased member of the Third Assembly, Ajewole Ashaolu, disclosed that the ex-governor’s letter has been referred to the Committees on Public Accounts and Finance and Appropriation.
Oluwawole had earlier read Fayemi’s letter in response to the House resolution mandating him to appear and make clarifications on UBEC funds shortly before the special session held in honour of the late Ashaolu.
The minister, in a letter dated March 21 signed by his Personal Assistant, Tolu Ibitola and addressed to the Clerk of the House, Tola Esan, said all matters relating to his stewardship are contained in his handover note.
The letters reads: “We acknowledge receipt of your letter being an advisory on the referenced resolution of the Ekiti State House of Assembly dated March 10.
“Regrettably, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, is unable to honour the House’s invitation as contained in the resolution due to prior scheduled state engagements.
“The minister has, however, asked that I draw your attention to the fact that all matters relating to his stewardship of public office in his previous role as the Governor of Ekiti State, between October 16, 2010 and October 15, 2014, are well documented in his handover notes, which was duly submitted to the Government of Ekiti State at the expiration of his tenure on October 15, 2014 as statutorily required.
“A copy of the said report was also shared with the House for the record.
“The minister will be pleased to respond to specific clarifications the House may wish to make further to your diligent examination of the handover notes.
“May we use this opportunity to convey the assurances of the minister’s highest regards”.
Oluwawole said: “We expected him to appear today, but he did not show up. He, instead, responded through a letter, saying that he wouldn’t be able to come owing to certain official duties.
“He said his stewardship was detailed in the handing over note he presented to Governor Ayo Fayose and that the issue of the SUBEB fund was also in it”.
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has reinstated his Special Adviser on Social Media, Tanko Yakasai.
Yakasai on his Twitter account had accused Buhari of being insensitive to the plights of Nigerians during the #EndSARS protests across the nation.
The development saw Governor Ganduje suspend his aide who was commended by Nigerians for the courage.
Ganduje, however, has ordered the reinstatement of his aide two weeks after his suspension.
Fayemi Presents Over N109 billion As Budget Estimate For 2021
Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi has presented the proposed budget for the 2021 fiscal year in the State.
The Governor on Monday presented a budget estimate of over N109 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.
Governor Fayemi, while presenting the budget at the State House of Assembly complex yesterday in Ado-Ekiti described the 2021 budget as “Budget of Recovery and Economic Restoration.”
The budget has a recurrent expenditure of N57, 997,898,982.62k while the capital expenditure has N51, 668,386,739.99k.
Fayemi, said the budget proposal presented contains the policy thrust, programmes, and vision of his administration for 2021, saying efforts shall be made to source the needed resources to fund the budget.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
- Entertainment19 hours ago
‘I’m Proud Of You Honey’, Adesua Etomi Tells Banky W
- National News24 hours ago
Fayemi Orders Resumption Of All Workers In Ekiti
- Entertainment23 hours ago
“I Can’t Remember The Last Time I Had Sex” – Davido Confesses
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Actress Ada Ameh Finally Arrives Abuja For Her Daughter’s Funeral (Video)
- News Feed18 hours ago
Social media spreads what you feed it – Ruggedman tells Lai Mohammed
- National News23 hours ago
BREAKING: Okonjo-Iweala Elected WTO DG
- News Feed18 hours ago
Protest against police brutality: Protesters loot shopping mall in Philadelphia (Video)
- Entertainment21 hours ago
Celebrities React As BBNaija’s Erica Shares Stunning Photos On Instagram