The Code of Conduct Tribunal has dismissed as untrue, reports that the corruption case against a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe, had been withdrawn by the Federal Government.
Mr. Orubebe was arraigned before the tribunal on November 9, 2015 over alleged four count charge of false declaration of assets and acceptance of about N70million bribe.
However, some national dailies yesterday reported that the charges against the ex-minister were withdrawn based on a purported legal advice from the Federal Ministry of Justice, which argued that the case against Orubebe as presently constructed and filed, was fundamentally defective.
The reports further state that the purported legal advice from the Ministry was to the effect that since the ex-minister was not invited to make a statement on the allegations against him, the process of arraignment was fundamentally flawed.
Reacting to the reports, spokesperson for the tribunal, Ibrahim Al-hassan, said in a statement Monday that the case was ongoing and that new charges were substituted with the initial ones filed against Mr. Orubebe.
Hearing in the case, Mr. Al-hassan said, will resume on April 7.
The statement reads, “Our attention at the Code of Conduct Tribunal has been drawn to recent publications from some section of mass media, indicating that the Federal Government has withdrawn charges against former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Godsday Peter Orubebe.
“The Tribunal is compelled to refute the said publications, particularly those contained in ThisDay Newspaper, Leadership and some online media, dated March 21st, 2016. The purported withdrawal of the case was quoted to be based on the case being fundamentally defective.
“Pursuant to the above, CCT advices that, to the best of our knowledge based on available records, as at the time of this report, the information is misleading, distortive and as such it should be ignored.
“The case of Mr Godsday Peter Orubebe before CCT in Charge NO: CCT/ABJ/02/15 is ongoing. What transpired in court in the last session held on 8th March, 2016 was a substitution of the initial charge with a newly filed charge by the prosecution, of which leave was sought from, and granted by the Tribunal.
“The case had been adjourned to 7th April, 2016. Thus; there is no withdrawal of the case by the prosecution”.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- Entertainment6 hours ago
‘It’s Really Sad That Fashola Is Part Of The Pantomime’ – OAP Toolz Reacts To Camera Found At Tollgate
- National News16 hours ago
Lagos Govt Reviews Curfew Time
- National News15 hours ago
I Am Avoiding Debates Over Lekki Toll gate Incident Until All Facts Are Established – Buhari
- Entertainment10 hours ago
Tara Durotoye Reveals The Extent Of Damage Done To Her Store By Hoodlums
- News Feed14 hours ago
Lady buys carton of indomie with COVID-19 sticker in Akwa Ibom
- News Feed22 hours ago
Ensure fundamental freedoms of peaceful protesters – Martin Luther King III writes Buhari
- National News15 hours ago
Fashola Discovers Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate
- News Feed22 hours ago
Lekki Toll Gate: Journalist calls for the prosecution of DJ Switch