Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State has debunked reports in the social media and a national daily that he had fled Nigeria because of investigations by the Economic and Financial Commission (EFCC) into how some of his aides diverted N2 billion bailout funds for the state.
The EFCC had last week reportedly arrested Okorocha’s aides for pocketing the bailout funds.
The aides, Obi Paschal Chigozie, Principal Secretary to the Governor; Uzoho Casmir, Director of Finance and Iheoma Kenneth, Treasurer, Government House, landed in the anti-graft agency’s net for allegedly diverting N2billion bailout fund meant for payment of salary arrears of the state’s civil servants.
However, in a press briefing at Government House, Owerri, on Saturday morning, Okorocha described the report as blackmail because he didn’t “jet out” to anywhere as insinuated in the reports.
He said the original report was written by a journalist who hails from the same place as his political rival in the 2015 governorship election in the state and has always written negative reports about him and the government of the state.
“If I am with you journalists here this morning, when someone wrote and published yesterday that I had jetted out because of EFCC, you can imagine the level of falsehood or mischief.
“I won’t take any legal action against the Thisday Newspaper, but I only need a retraction because the story was not true. The newspaper was deceived by the reporter.
“For a long time, I have not traveled out of the country. So the report was mischievous. The PDP has persisted on impugning on the image of the government. I call on them to leave such acts as this is the time to face governance and development”.
On the EFCC issue, the governor remarked that, “the EFCC querying the alleged diversion of N2billion is not out of place as the Commission has visited the state more than fifty times over the past four years and the state has always come out clean. For every report or petition or allegation made to EFCC, it is binding on them to investigate it whether founded or unfounded. That does not mean that the allegation is true”.
He continued, “Every worker in the state was paid beyond the bailout fund and period. The state used the bail¬out fund judiciously. The records are clear and accessible. There is nothing like diversion as alleged. You know the PDP elements are good in writing petitions. They have no other business at the moment than to write petitions.
“They wrote petitions, and made allegations. The EFCC acted on the petitions and were disappointed after their investigations. The Principal Secretary, Dr. Pascal Obi reported to be detained by the EFCC is the one by my side.
These people tell a lot of lies.
“I want the EFCC to come as many times as possible so that when you leave government, it will be better for you. The government has performed much more than what the resources available can do. People should come and ask me what is the secret and how I have been able to achieve all these, instead of writing petitions. It is all about vision and ideas”.
National Broadcast: PDP Slams Buhari Over ‘Disappointing, Empty’ Speech – PDP
Recall that Buhari in his speech called for an end to the protest, adding that his government had already accepted and started implementing demands of the protesters.
He, however, failed to acknowledge the shooting of protesters by soldiers of the Nigerian Army at the Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
Reacting in a statement on Thursday night by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbodinyan, the PDP said Buhari’s address was depressing and failed empathy test.
The party appealed to Nigerians, particularly the youth, to remain calm and allow a return to normal life in the collective quest for peaceful co-existence in the overall interest of the nation.
PDP Asks Buhari To Stop Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters Across Nigeria
This was contained in a statement titled “EndSARS- Lekki Massacre,” signed by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, late on Tuesday.
Ologbodiyan said, “The Peoples Democratic Party, condemns in very strong terms, the killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos as well as other parts of our country.
“It is shocking that security agents and, in some cases, thugs, were reportedly deployed to end the lives of promising Nigerians. This, to say the least, is saddening.
“Those responsible for the heinous murder of the innocent and harmless Nigerians must account for their nefarious acts.
“The PDP calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately direct an end to these wanton killings across our nation.
#EndSARS: Gov Bello Warns Protesters Against Overthrowing Buhari
He stated this during an interview with Africa Independent Television AIT on Monday night.
Bello called on his fellow state governors to tack charge in their respective states so as to prevent loss of lives and properties due to attacks by hoodlums.
He, however, warned Nigerian youths to resist the temptation of using the current situation in the country to seek an undemocratic change in leadership.
The Governor warned that those interested in the presidency must wait till 2023 and go through democratic processes.
He urged the protesting youths to leave the streets and embrace dialogue.
- National News13 hours ago
How Jailbreaks In Edo, Ondo Happened
- Special Reports17 hours ago
Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
- National News17 hours ago
#EndSARS: Hooligans Pushing For Regime Change – Northern Governors
- News Feed17 hours ago
“Our mumu don do” – Man blasts Garba Adamu for asking Northerners to ignore #EndSARS because Buhari is their brother
- Entertainment11 hours ago
#EndSARS: Kiddwaya Appreciates Celebrities, Says They Are Heroes
- Entertainment14 hours ago
‘Anyone Making Jokes About Running Away From Nigeria Is Stupid’ – Runtown
- National News17 hours ago
Tell Nigerians Who Ordered Lekki shootings, Osundare Urges Buhari
- Entertainment11 hours ago
Get Your PVCs Ready, Davido Charges Nigerians