Connect with us

News Feed

Military To Lai Mohammed: We’re Not Fighting Boko Haram With Substandard Weapons

Published

on

The military has denied the claim by Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed that troops combating Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East were doing so with substandard weapons purchased by the Jonathan administration.

1

This is even as the authorities said hopes of rescuing the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram about two years ago in Borno State have not dimmed. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo said last weekend that anyone still assuring the nation that the girls would be rescued was a liar.

Speaking on Africa Independent Television (AIT), Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, dismissed reports that soldiers fighting Boko Haram were poorly equipped. “What I know is that we are using equipment which is okay for us. We have been achieving results. What I know is that we have equipment that can take us to where we are going…However, you cannot say you have everything you need for your operations. Even the developed nations’ Armed Forces lack one thing or the other,” Abubakar said.

Jonathan had insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari was fighting insurgents with the weapons his administration bought.

But Mohammed dismissed the claim in a statement, saying the successes recorded by the present government could not be attributed to the substandard weapons allegedly procured by Jonathan.

Meanwhile, Gen. Abubakar has also assured that efforts being made to rescue the abducted Chibok schoolgirls would not be in vain.

He said: “In the course of our operations, a lot of persons who hitherto we didn’t know, were rescued by the Armed Forces. So, fundamentally, what I’m saying is that inasmuch as our effort is still ongoing by the level of momentum we are putting in now, we are hopeful.

“I believe rescuing the Chibok girls is one of the targets that we set for ourselves. And I believe that with what we have done and what we are set to do, we will rescue any captive with the insurgents, not only the Chibok girls … We are extremely searching for not only the Chibok girls, but any other captive. It is just a matter of time,” he said.

Obasanjo, who was the guest speaker at the seventh Osun Interactive Session organised by the Staff Club of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife last Friday, doubted the possibility of rescuing the abducted schoolgirls alive.

He said while some of the schoolgirls had been killed for refusing to convert to Islam, others had been trafficked.

“Today, if anybody tells you he will bring back the Chibok schoolgirls, it is a lie. Buhari has even said that he does not have any information about the Chibok girls, except those who escaped and some of them have been rehabilitated….Some of them were sold and maybe in 10, 20, 30 years, we will come back and we will hear some of their stories. But if anybody tells you he will bring back the Chibok girls, it is a lie,” Obasanjo said.

Source: Sun News

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Rifle allegedly seized from drunk policeman (video)

Published

on

A drunk policeman identified as Garba Salisu is currently the talk of social media.

Passersby who saw a drunk police officer carrying a gun, seized the gun from him then poured water on him to help revive him.

In a video shared online, people are seen surrounding the police officers and commenting about the fact that he was inebriated already at that time of the day.

A man is seen pouring a sachet of water on the policeman’s head.

Voices in the video are heard saying the policeman was seen at about 4pm on Saturday, Nov 28, at CBN Junction, close to Abuja Police Command Headquarters.

Watch the video below:

Continue Reading

News Feed

Settling down is not easy when you are a babymama — Actress Bisola Aiyeola

Published

on

Former Big Brother Naija housemate cum actress, Bisola Aiyeola, has said it hasn’t been easy raising a family.

The multi-talented TV star, in an interview with Sun News, revealed that getting married and building a new home might not be a bed of roses for someone who already has a child.

“There’s the urge to have that close nuclear family unit and then there’s the reality; it’s not that easy having another child and building a new home. I’ve heard from other people’s experiences too. Somehow, I’ve been able to manage all these years with my daughter.

I am proud of her; she’s in secondary school now. I just want to work on giving her the best. I won’t say that I am using torchlight to look for a family now, but if it does happen, I’ll embrace it with all of me. But the reality of it is that, it’s not as beautiful as it sounds,” she said.

Continue Reading

National News

Nurse who is HIV positive, reveals how she’s been keeping her husband safe from the virus

Published

on

A nurse who is HIV positive is currently making rounds on social media and has taken to social media and revealed how she’s been keeping her husband safe from the virus.

The South African lady identified as Angela Motsusi disclosed this in a recent post she made on her Facebook wall.

According to her, HIV patients who take their ARVs daily, attend all clinic appointments and do blood checks as scheduled are safe of have sex with a negative partner.

She wrote on Facebook, “Living testimonies of #UequalsU , it’s simple really, if you are HIV positive, take your ARVs daily and attend all your clinic appointments and do blood checks as scheduled, by taking your treatment everyday you will be virally suppressed and with a sustained, suppressed viral load you CANNOT sexually transmit HIV to your partner, I am positive and he is negative. #normalizinghivchallenge #uequalsusouthafrica”

Continue Reading

Trending